4.0 out of 5 stars Great product if you know how to get it running.
I've had this interface for a few years and have been happy with the results for the price. It will drive you nuts if you don't know what it wants to be a happy running device, but set it up right and it'll work well for you.

Published 16 months ago by Kevin B.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good interface for the price, but not perfect
I purchased the CI1 after doing extensive research in my search for a USB audio interface in the $100 range. The CI1 does everything it's supposed to, and had the features I was looking for, including phantom power, direct input monitoring, 2 in/2 out, and 24 bit resolution. (Note - the CI1 is limited to 48k.)

To my ears, the preamps sound good, and recorded...
Published on March 29, 2011 by JJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Good interface for the price, but not perfect, March 29, 2011
This review is from: Steinberg CI1 USB Audio Interface (Electronics)

To my ears, the preamps sound good, and recorded audio sounds a little better than what I was getting out of my onboard audio (recording at 16/44k - so not sure if that's due to better hardware, or just more bit depth).

Unfortunately, I'm a bit disappointed with the CI1's latency. Simple projects (less than 8 tracks) in Ableton or Cubase have latencies in the 5-10ms range. With larger projects running multiple plug-ins, I'm up to latencies of 20ms+. I'm running a laptop with Intel Core 2 Dual CPU 1.5Ghz with 1GB RAM. I'm almost able to achieve comparable latencies using ASIO4ALL with my onboard audio.

Also, the Ploytec USB Audio driver does not work with this interface.

I'd classify this as a good interface for someone who likes to tinker around with recording, but it might not necessarily be the best choice for a serious recording enthusiast. I don't regret my purchase, but I might have spent a bit more to get lower latency (or an interface compatible with the Ploytec driver) if I'd known what kind of latency I'd get out of the CI1.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrated with this - no license for software included - Updated, January 16, 2012
This review is from: Steinberg CI1 USB Audio Interface (Electronics)
Bought this product and installed the Soquel LE that came with it. However, it tells me I need a license number to use it, but no license number was included in the packaging! (Yes, I looked). I figure no one else had this problem. I want to keep the product but because I bought the product on Amazon, there is no easy customer support. Amazon makes it difficult to find.

The product could be great, I just can't use it because I have no license for it.

UPDATE - I was finally able to get the license. It took several days of back and forth emails with the company - they ask one question and then when you answer it takes another day for them to get back to you. If they would have called we could have done it in 10 minutes. Product is 4 stars. But new product support is 1 star. Together 2.5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's alright, but I regret budgetting, June 17, 2013
Ian (New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steinberg CI1 USB Audio Interface (Electronics)
It's nice when it works, but generally annoying otherwise. Sometimes it needs multiple power-cycles to get up and running, and worst of all, it seems to crap out if it accidentally peaks. If for some reason you peak one of the inputs, it all of the sudden gets horribly distorted and crackled. Kinda wishing I had invested more on this piece of my setup.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product if you know how to get it running., August 28, 2013
This review is from: Steinberg CI1 USB Audio Interface (Electronics)

First, forget the included software. It sucks, use your own software such as Samplitude, Reaper, Cubase, or Acid. They all will play nice with the CI1. Second, disable your wireless and/or network cards when doing a recording session or you'll probably get pops and clicks. I think it's just poor drivers as the cause, but I fixed that issue by disabling the wifi and bluetooth on my Windows 7 Pro X64 i5 laptop system.

I've had Sony Acid run a 16 track project one at a time with no issues while having the CI1 as my main interface. It's cheaper than the Presonus small USB interface product and works at least as well. Keep your input levels in check and you'll get solid results in your small home studio.

3.0 out of 5 stars Issues with both mic and line-in, November 27, 2012
D. Lucas (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steinberg CI1 USB Audio Interface (Electronics)
This unit is simply okay. If you need it as a way to record some ideas that you'll later take into a proper studio, this may work.
I found that this unit distorts the signal at a fairly low level, generally at about 75% volume. This might be acceptable if the distortion were pleasing, but it is not. It is a fully digital distortion with no real use. My old ART tube preamp was a much better audio interface than this device.

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to configure, hard to use., October 4, 2014
This review is from: Steinberg CI1 USB Audio Interface (Electronics)
Very hard to configure. The software license and softkey process is very problematic. I expect others have had better success but the installation process on my generic Windows 7 box was a multi-day, visit this website, visit that website, download this, try that, kind of experience.

If you finally do get the installation worked out, you cannot use the unit with any other devices. You can only use the interface with a singe computer.

Pass and look for something else. This is ***way*** too proprietary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, June 18, 2014
This review is from: Steinberg CI1 USB Audio Interface (Electronics)
This is my first "real" interface. I've used it for about a month now and have about 7-8 ms latency. Noise is at about -60db, which is far below what the microphones or cables would add to the noise-floor.

The only downside I'm discovering is that I could use more than 2 inputs.

I think its a VERY common issue with any interface, but the high-z setting isn't really high-z enough for humbucking guitar pickups and I have to set the gain on the input to 0 or so just to avoid clipping. I know they make DI boxes for this purpose, but would be worlds simpler if the High-z option on an interface just worked well with most guitars.

The build quality is good and I never really have any issues with it the PC side of it.

I didn't use any of the software. At this point I prefer Reaper

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect price value ratio, February 8, 2014
This review is from: Steinberg CI1 USB Audio Interface (Electronics)
Simple and straight forward, just plug it in via the USB cable and you are ready with a studio quality audio interface . . . and it didn't cost you a fortune. We have several and use for remote recording sessions and for working off of laptops with Steinberg's Cubase 7.5 DAW. Great combination, a multi-million dollar studio on you laptop. Actually that is not an exaggeration, as some on our team go back to the days of recording studio 8 track tape boards and splicing the tape with razor blades . . . Perfect for beginners and pros alike. This has the same pre-amps as its more costly variations, but simply lacks the controls for manipulating your software from the interface instead of your keyboard. So far all our units have been rough handled and no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine Product!!!, September 17, 2012
This review is from: Steinberg CI1 USB Audio Interface (Electronics)
Shipping was prompt, in which thats always a plus. Had to download the latest drivers to be compatible with IOSX Lion. So if your planning on using this with a Mac, the software included doesn't contain the latest drivers. After doing a little searching for the latest drivers, & downloading them, I was on my way to recording. Works great with Garage Band. Recordings are crystal clear! Great for doing a little mobile recording. I'd buy it again in a heart beat!

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Interface, July 25, 2012
This review is from: Steinberg CI1 USB Audio Interface (Electronics)
With the right computer, this box can actually turn some good results. Im using a 2011 macbook pro with logic, and Ive got the latency to 9.5ms which is not noticeable to me. If you have the option to, always go with a firewire interface but if you only have USB or your fireiwre is being used, this is not too shabby, especially at this price.

Steinberg CI1 USB Audio Interface