Published on July 1, 2009 by Francie Horton

3.0 out of 5 stars Great stencils, wish they were more durable.
Published on November 1, 2010 by M. Bolton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Stencils on Glossy Cardstock plus Project Ideas... Love It!, July 1, 2009
This review is from: Stencil 101: Make Your Mark with 25 Reusable Stencils and Step-by-Step Instructions (Paperback)
Stencil 101 by Ed Roth is one of those books that encourages you to tear out its pages. It contains 25 reusable stencils on glossy cardstock. And the very day it came in the mail my son was already pulling out the stencils and using them on a wooden case that was just screaming out for customization. And, hey, if something passes the teen boy test for coolness it must be pretty special. And he must be somebody special, too, because I let him use the book before I did.

I know it's been said so many times that it's ridiculous but really... these aren't your granny's stencils. You won't find any English ivy or country geese here. We're talking muscle cars and luchadores.

At the beginning is a brief history of stenciling and then a nice chapter on the basic stuff needed to get started. Then the author shows several projects using the stencils in the book. I wanted the book just for my journal pages but now I'm thinking my kitchen cabinets need an edgier look to them.

The book has a nice expandable pocket in the back to keep your used stencils in. As I mentioned earlier the stencils are on cardstock, glossy on both sides so you can flip them either way. They should hold up to many many sprays. Even after you pull out the stencil there is a page left in the book that shows the design so you can still flip through the book to know what designs you have without digging them all out of the pocket. Or if it came down to it and you lost your stencil and were too cheap to buy another you could scan the image and cut another.

Speaking of buying stencils, Ed has lots of them available at his website, Stencil [...] He also has his own line of spray inks. And don't forget to check out the awesome how-to videos while you're there.

5.0 out of 5 stars SO PRETTY!, April 16, 2009
i made a stenciled tote bag with Ed's face on it! i love ED! and i love STENCILS! and everything just looks so cute and creative and personalized, it's alot cheaper and way more fun. especially if you wanna find something to bond with your kids, or a fun group project for a class of children, or a crafty pastime to share with some old lady at the Senior Citizen home who has no family or friends- GO volunteer to brighten up their day!
ole!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for crafters!, April 14, 2009
I've been a fan of Stencil1 stencils long before this book came out, and was absolutely delighted to see this collection in one handy set. The ideas are endless and the designs clean and classic. I love how the stencils are glossy so they wipe clean and can be used repeatedly. I recently took the book on my annual craft cruise and the cruisers LOVED them too. We used them on everything from fabric books to shrines and clothing. Excited to see what Ed comes up with next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative inspiration for the artistically challenged, February 28, 2010
My wife picked this up recently and we've been having a blast added a little Oaktown vibe to our world. The stencils are quite creative and very un-Martha Stewart-like, which is refreshing.

Be careful when you wash off the stencils after use or, even better, don't bother to wash the paint off them. We got the first one we cleaned off a little too wet and it didn't fair too well. It would seem there's little reason to clean them off after use. Just let the paint dry before you use it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and easy to use, May 16, 2010
My whole family loves this book. We've used the designs when we silk screened tshirts. I appreciate the storage pocket on the back cover for used stencils.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great stencils, wish they were more durable., November 1, 2010
I purchased these to stencil my room and various other stuff and I quickly realized they were not built to last. They are basically paper and warp or tear when you use them frequently. So they aren't THAT reusable, you will probably get 4 good uses out of them becore the spray paint or whatever medium you use soaks through. No bueno. Not what I expected at all. Bu aside from the lack of true reusability the designs were pretty nice. My favorites being the woman w/ the afro and the cassette tape.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, September 21, 2010
I am an art teacher. I used this book with my higher level kids for inspirations and indipendent projects. Its really a great resource to show layering, printmaking, and ideas linking to graphics. Its perfect! I wish they would have made the stencils out of a hard plastic instead of a coated paper though. Other than that, Perfect! I plan on buying more from this company.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a great starting point for stencil art. Stencil 101 is a perfect title., March 29, 2010
Tyson "Tyson" (A State of Mind) - See all my reviews
If you are looking for a place to start using stencils in your art you should check out this book. The great part is it is full of actual stencils you can tear out and use day one!

5.0 out of 5 stars i love this book, January 10, 2009
i have used the stencils in this book for almost everything you could think of-- on lamps, on the walls, as a border, on canvas with paint. this is a great book of stencils, it's really hard to find decent stencils that don't look like something your grandma would use. i will probably order more stencils from ed roth on his website. hopefully he will come out with more books with biger stencils in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME BOOK, December 7, 2008
This book was awesome! I have purchased the stencils from the website and used them throughout my home. Really unique designs that I have not seen befor. So when I then purchased the book I got so many more idea's for stenciling - and the book is such high quality! I purchased several for holiday gifts this year. This is a great gift idea.... Really pleased with this purchase!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›