Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 24 Creative Plastic Stencils from Highlights
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Color: Multi-colored|Change

on January 31, 2013
The set comes with 24 translucent stencils, about the size of a 4x6 index card. They are made of thick plastic that will stand up with a lot of use. There are a few stencils that you look at and wonder for a few seconds just what exactly it is, like the cornucopia, but fortunately these are rare. Most of the stencils are great and easily recognizable. The designs are even labeled with a description in case you have any problems figuring them out right away.

The stencils are categorized so that all the planes will fit on one card, flowers on another, etc. Here are the categories included in this set:
- Uppercase alphabet (split on 3 cards)
- Birds
- Family
- Farm Animals
- Flowers
- Houses
- Numbers (1-10 with plus, minus, multiply and division symbols)
- Spring
- Summer
- Trains
- Trucks
- Underwater (Animals)
- Whales
- Winter (split on 2 cards)

I'm very happy with the variety and quality of the stencils in this set.

Note: The box and stencil colors I received are different from those pictured. It's a yellow box with translucent green, pink, and blue colored stencils.
33 comments|268 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2011
There seem to be a lot of mixed reviews on this product, though overall customers seem very satisfied, but here's the real lowdown from a former teacher who bought this set for a grandchildren's craft box I was doing up for Christmas. Yes, this product was a teacher freebie for sending home Highlights subscription forms. But unless you can figure a way to get it free, go ahead and spend the money, because it has been the best set of stencils I ever added to my classroom. After 15 years of regular use, the box/handle and all the stencils were still going strong. And believe me, the set had been knocked around a lot over the years. Children never tire of creating pictures with the huge variety of stencil shapes in this box. I was thrilled to find it on Amazon after scouring the stores and searching online for stencils to include in the craft box I was putting together. And no craft box could be complete without stencils to trace in their artwork creations. It's small size makes it easy to store, and the handle means they can carry it along on trips or around the house. Perfect for any age elementary child. My personal box was used with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th graders, and all these ages would rush to get these whenever they had free time or inside recess. Don't listen to people nit picking about how close the designs are to each other on each stencil card, or the quality of the box. You will not be disappointed. Take it from someone who had and used a set like this for years. It will last far longer than it is used if you are getting it for your own children. Teachers... grab it at this price, or get it free through Highlights. Either way, you'll be glad to have it.
0Comment|188 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 26, 2010
The product I received (the one pictured in the photo) is a GREAT product. The stencils are thick plastic (as opposed to the vellum/acetate ones that are made for home decor/craft projects and sold in craft stores) and the size of very large index cards.

Each stencil sheet contains numerous images- everything from sealife to animals to decorative objects to flowers to fairy tale objects to transportation to letters to numbers. While the individual images are small (1-3 inches- definitely will not fill up a whole sheet of paper), they are detailed and very easy to trace around and transfer to paper. My five year old was THRILLED with this box and much prefers it to any of the $2-5 each stencil sheets I have purchased for her.

I highly recommend this for anyone with young children. If you need super thick stencils, try the Melissa and Doug ones made from wood. My daughter has those, too- but they are SO thick that she has a hard time getting her pencil in all the nooks crannies to accurately trace the object. I honestly think these are the best stencils out there for kids and I have looked all over town for something similar to add to my daughter's collection and can't find anything like it.

Highly, highly recommended!
0Comment|151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2010
I was skeptical about this product after I read the 1st customer's review. I searched the net for similar products, but found none. I checked out toysrus, target, walmart, they simply did not have stencils with fun shapes. They only had alphabet ones. I'm glad that i finally decided to buy this one. My 5 yr old draws, decorates and colors for hours. There are several shapes that she always makes me draw, now she doesn't need my help with. This is a good buy, go for it !
on January 10, 2010
I bought this stencil set for two girls ages five and three and had the opportunity to play with them once they received the gift. They were fascinated with them but needed some encouragement and direction how to use them. It comes in a nice plastic case with a handle and is easily stored and portable to take with on trips. It is also organized with primary colors and also with seasons/holidays of the year.
on January 9, 2013
I had a terrible time finding stencils for my daughter (4 at the time) and was so happy when I came across this one. A year later, it is still one of the most used art supplies in our house. Contains everything imaginable (animals, numbers, letter, holidays, etc). The carrying case is great - easy to take when traveling.
It's always so hard - when ordering online - to tell if something's going to be as neat as it looks/sounds when you see it in person. As soon as they just arrived, I knew our oldest grandson was going to fall in love with them! Each one of our three grandsons is special to us in their unique ways... our oldest has somehow combined a love of creativity and the power of an incredibly healthy and active imagination right along with a total level of comfortableness with math and science (at least as of 1st grade!) We've always strongly connected on the creativity part, but I don't know where the math/science part came in (... had always heard one section of your brain was usually dominant over the other... overjoyed that both of his, at least for now, seem to be working in unison, since even the words "math" or "science" struck fear in my heart as a child!)

While he's always enjoyed the (mostly paper) stencils we've had, but his younger brother (3 years old) got hold of them one day and did a number on them, leading me to want to replace them with something a bit sturdier. Wow, these really fit the bill! Terrific idea to put them into a sturdy little box (@ 6-1/2"L, 4-3/8"H, 2-3/4"W), and to color code each. Green covers "Fall", "Flowers", "Birds", "Trains", "Clowns", "Alphabet 1" (capital A-K), "Planes", and "Whales". Pink covers "Winter", "Houses", "Cars", "Dinosaurs", "Alphabet 2" (capital L-U), "Family", "Spring", "Trucks". Blue covers "Summer", "Cats", "Alphabet 3" (capital V-Z, along with an exclamation point, question mark, dollar sign, equals sign, minus sign, apostrophe, period and double parenthesis), "Underwater", "Dogs", "Winter 2", "Farm Animals", "Numbers" (0-9, along with multiply, divide and plus signs.)

Our middle grandson (affectionately referred to as the Master of Disaster) is going to have a tough time destroying this nifty stencils, with each measuring @ 5-3/4"L, 4-1/8"H... they'll be so much easier to maneuver around than those big 8-1/2 x 11 paper ones we had - and these are translucent rather than opaque, which is a very nice feature (each INDIVIDUAL object even has its name imprinted in small letters next to it!) The lid snaps shut securely, and there's also a neat little handle included that hooks onto the sides. These were just PERFECT for us!
on June 3, 2015
We use the stencils for greeting cards we make. My 8 year old used them for a poster project for her class. They easy to use and clean. The box keeps them organized and easy to find. I am really glad I purchased these stencils.
on August 22, 2015
Bought these for my 4yr old son to add to his surplus if art supplies! He loves them but they are best used with a colored pencil or fine point marker as the designs are small and the curves on them are hard to trace with a wider pen/pencil/marker. Great quality tho and easy to store.
on December 22, 2014
Perhaps these are useful for children but as an adult wanting to use them to trace for crafts projects I found the designs very limited and they did not come out very nice looking when I either traced inside the stencil or tried to paint it. I can't imagine chubby childrens hands doing any better than I could so I question how good they are even for kids.