Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on December 31, 2008
I don't understand how people didn't like this movie.... I take that back. I expect that people didn't like this movie because they expected something smarter. For the record, don't expect this to be an intelligent comedy. It's not. At the same time, I think it's absolutely hilarious. I'm a firm believer in setting our own expectations. If you expected Twister to be some amazing, epic film, then you were probably disappointed. If you expected it to be a movie about a tornado, you were most likely entertained. The same applies to this film. Don't go in expecting an artistic masterpiece. It's crude, rudimentary comedy, and it's nice to be spoon-fed ridiculously "insipid" humor from time to time. I. Loved. This. Film. It's ridiculous, just don't expect too much.
1010 comments| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2010
This movie is a real sleeper. The first time I watched it I thought it was funny, but after watching a few more times I think it is great. These two portray the base element of every man. The "forever 13" humor that almost all men love, even if they don't like to admit it. Mary Steenburgen is also hilarious. Some people who are too uptight to laugh at juvenile humor will trash this movie, but it is funny. The casting throughout was perfect.
on March 29, 2010
This movie was one of the funniest movies I have ever seen in a long time. These two actors are great together, they pack a laughter punch like no other. I'm definitely buying this movie.
VINE VOICEon December 5, 2008
First of all I have to say this is one of the funniest movies I've seen it years, comedy just doesn't get much better than this. Secondly, if you're not a Will Ferrell fan, you're probably not going to like this. This is one of those comedies that's stupidly funny, much like the comedy classic 'The Jerk' starring Steve Martin. If you're not a fan of silly, crude and offensive humor then avoid this film at all costs, but if you've seen Will and John's previous efforts and enjoyed them, then you will most surely love this one, as it is without a doubt the best film they've made together, and I would go so far as saying that it's Will Ferrell's best yet.

Many people seeing this movie are apparently unaware that it is Rated R for sexual content, language and profanity, so be warned if this is not in tune with your sensibilities, and you definitely do not want your kids watching this, it is for grown ups only. There is one scene in particular involving a drumset that may be a bit much for for the more reserved audience members.

This movie had me in tears of uncontrollable laughter numerous times throughout, and that is quite rare for a comedy to accomplish, so I have to give it my highest recommendation. My friends who watched it with me were laughing just as hard and we all agreed that we had to buy it once it came out on DVD.

Yes it is sophomoric, yes much of it is in poor taste, but sometimes one just has to let loose, and what's what this movie achieves, it's a great opportunity to just kick back, relax and enjoy life through two goofy guys who act like little kids.

It's more than that though, as the film progresses they learn their lessons that they can't be so irresponsible forever, much like in Judd Apatow's other films, so without giving away too much, they do what they need to and redeem themselves in the process, so despite its silliness, it's not an entirely pointless movie.

'Step Brothers' is a fun ride which reminds us to not lose the kid inside of us all and to not take life too seriously, and anyone with a funnybone that's itching to be scratched should buy this film, you won't regret it.
on September 2, 2008
It has been a long, long time since I've went to a movie and cried the whole way through.......From Laughing. When I went to this movie I knew it would be funny but I had no idea just how funny it was. From the opening credits until the very end I laughed so hard my sides hurt.

I've read the other reviews and yes it has foul language and no children shouldn't see it but what a treat for adults. Is the plot really in depth? Are the characters fully developed? Did I really learn anything? NO!!! But that's the point. People tend to forget that when you go to see a comedy if it makes you laugh then it has thus fulfilled it's purpose. The characters in the movie are a pair of 40 year old screw up's that still live with mom dad. Soon they are forced to live together and hilarity ensues. When we're children it's hard enough to sometimes learn social skills but imagine being forty and having absolutely none and you will have all the chemistry that John and Will have in this movie. Let's just say that the "feeling out process" has never been funnier.

I loved this movie so much in fact I'm seriously thinking about going back to the theater a second time to see this.
on March 7, 2013
I had never really seen John C. Reilly in any type of comedy movie, but this movie is SO ridiculous it had me laughing out loud. I had to add this to my feel good arsenal. The comedic chemistry between Ferrell and Reilly is amazing. It does have A LOT of crass humor and f-bombs so if you are offended by that you will not like this movie. It is a no thought, laugh out loud, stupid funny movie. I have a lot of new quotes to use with my friends
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 27, 2013
I should begin by saying I consider myself a 'lady'. For the most part I try to hold my composure and have poise. Typically when a man in the room laughs at bare balls on our television screen I will roll my eyes. But this movie may have changed that. I was a teenager when it came out and went to watch it with my family. All I can remember is how hysterically loud my father and brother laughed throughout the entire film. My family is one of those families that gets in a movie theatre and angers all of the other families with their obnoxiously loud laughter. But during this movie everyone was laughing, so we fit right in. Even my mother, who refuses to even use a public bathroom (everything repulses her), was laughing at this film. It had parts where we were literally choking on our popcorn.

A few years later and I'm now buying this film for my boyfriend for his birthday (shhh, he doesn't know it yet). He hasn't seen it, but shares an uncanning resemblence to my father in the 'what's funny' department- so I'm assuming he'll be peeing himself by the time this is over. And I'm dieing in anticipation to watch it again. It's one of my favorite feel-good movies. If you have a teenage son or a husband who resembles a teenage son- this is an awesome gift. It's hysterical, crude, filled with manly humour, and yet somehow hilarious even from a woman's perspective. I'm literally laughing just thinking about this movie. I'm not kidding- I'm laughing aloud right now. And my boyfriend just asked 'Why?'. And I just told him 'You'll see.'. Because he'll see. Once he watches this movie he'll be laughing as he reminisces as well. And if you have the humour of a ten-year-old boy, or even a 'lady', you'll probably get a few giggles out of this film as well. I seriously have no idea how anyone could rate this under 5 stars. In my mind it's universally funny.
on March 9, 2009
OMG, this is soooo funny right from the get go. I hadn't heard of the movie and wasn't prepared. This is the kind of comedy that you just have to sit back and let it hit you full on. ;-)
on April 9, 2013
Okay, seriously, this is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. I resisted watching it for so long, because I'm not a fan of Will Ferrell, but the tandem of Ferrell and John C. Reilly is probably the best comic duo since Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. This movie is full of so many quotable scenes, off-the-wall jokes, and hilarious sequences that split your sides. Expect a face that is sore from smiling and a belly that is sore from laughing.

If wild comedies are your style, don't miss this one. Not suitable for children of just about any age, but if you want to watch a couple of 40 year old men act like your 12-year-old son and his best friend, then you don't want to miss this movie.
on March 24, 2013
Never been much of a John C. Reiley fan but he is fantastic in this flick. What can be said about Will Ferrell other than he is totally crazy funny. I'm a 51 year old male & this has now taken over as my all time favorite movie. Go figure.