4.0 out of 5 stars Good review book
Like most M3s, I wasn't sure which book to use for CK. I choose SUS2 for several reasons: it's in color; it's shorter than FA and MTB, so it's easy to quickly review chapters; and the margins are wide enough to allow one to write notes.

Published 9 months ago by Mr. X

2.0 out of 5 stars Same as the last edition....in color
Published 14 months ago by ILLUMINATI M.D.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Same as the last edition....in color, May 1, 2013
This review is from: Step-Up to USMLE Step 2 CK, 3e (Step-Up Series) (Paperback)
So the second edition of step 2 came out in 2007 and after 6 yrs, you would think they fixed the mistakes that are rampant in this book. To contrary, most of the errors in the 2nd edition are still here in the third i.e. under the gyn section, they still list mature teratomas as 'desmoid' cysts instead of 'dermoid'. The amount of errors in this book make step up to step 2 an unusable companion to your board studying. Beyond disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just about terrible, October 23, 2013
I wouldn't recommend this book for Step 2 review. It is a very poor overview of the material you need to know for the exam. If you use this along with UWorld, you will end up with an enormous amount of annotations which pretty much defeats the purpose of buying this book.
Also, DIT recently purchased this series and suggest you use this in conjunction with their course. I do not recommend this either. They simply read from this and fail really to teach anything.
The short is, don't buy this. Go back to First AId and Uworld. Save your money as well and avoid DIT.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good review book, September 28, 2013

I also own FA, and I reviewed copies of MTB my classmates had. I don't think SUS2 is necessarily missing information compared to FA; I just think it is more concise and uses fewer tables than FA. I feel like SUS2 is better organized and easier to use than MTB.

While SUS2 is a great source, it's fairly superficial, but so are all the review books. Most of your learning/reviewing will come from UWorld (Secrets is also a good supplement). I also wish there were one of two blank pages at the end of each chapter to add extra notes.

I ended up rocking CK. Was it because of SUS2? No, but this book--like any of the review books--helped me relearn broad concepts and served as a repository for my UWorld notes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Old information, not much difference between older edition, May 11, 2013
I read through several sections and found the treatment and information to be outdated. Even guidelines or basic treatments were missing. There were still errors in the previous edition that are in this book which are unacceptable given they had many several years for the update. You would think DIT who during their step2 review who give updates or changes to the book in the lectures who are authors now would have fixed them. Poor product that seems to be rushed and pretty much similar to the copy that is 4-5 years old.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly formatted, can't annotate in margins., July 20, 2013
I'm not dyslexic, but trying to read this book made me question that. The book is a text wall. Headings, subheadings, and spacing are so poorly done that I waste so much time just trying to figure out where I am. Having used First Aid for Step 1, I know it is possible to make a book like this formatted well enough to be easily read.

Even more annoying is the fact that THE MARGINS ARE COLORED YELLOW. Why in the world would they do this? The yellow ink makes it so that your pen doesn't write on the paper. Also, the "quick hits" have some obnoxious, space consuming graphics that distract your eye from the text. We are not Pre-K students, you don't need to make this book look like Highlights for kids.

PLEASE, preview this book before you purchase. You can read a chapter or two on Amazon.com, you will see what I am talking about.

Also, both this one and SUTM are ridiculously expensive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a step forward but a step back, May 4, 2013
Instead of spending time on correcting mistakes from the previous edition published many years ago, they just reformatted the book a little bit. Not a true update or a good source for Step 2 CK.

1.0 out of 5 stars TOO BAD, November 3, 2013
This is one of the worst books I have purchased. It is incomplete and full of critical mistakes. There was no proofreading here. I would not recommend this book unless you are willing to make all the corrections prior to studying it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well-organized, but not enough detail., May 8, 2014
The book is very well-organized and covers all important sections. However, it is very lacking in crucial details. At times, I even found myself supplementing Step Up to CK with my First Aid for Step 1. You're better off using Step Up to Internal Medicine for the Medicine sections and using Step Up to CK for the remaining sections. I would recommend it only because it is necessary to have a CK-specific review book to guide you on important topics so you can then look elsewhere for details.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much missing, June 26, 2013
While studying for step 2, there is too much missing in this book. When doing questions on Uworld, I would continually find that the subject matter in the question was not included in Step-up but often could be found in First Aid for Step 2. Don't waste your money on this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great final review, July 9, 2014
Great for reviewing, not for learning!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Step-Up to USMLE Step 2 CK, 3e (Step-Up Series)
Step-Up to USMLE Step 2 CK, 3e (Step-Up Series) by Jonathan P. Van Kleunen (Paperback - April 15, 2013)
$51.99 $40.10