Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Step2 Mailmaster Junior Mailbox
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Periphery Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 8, 2007
We are disappointed with this mailbox. The door is mounted so tightly that it is hard to open and close. Unless you brace the mailbox with one hand while working the door, the whole thing falls over. I have been trying to teach my son to brace the mailbox, but at 21 months, he still doesn't understand. He will not play with the mailbox. Occasionally, he will try again, but the thing falls over and he is disappointed--again.

The size could be better. A postcard will barely fit in--with some bending at the edges. My son got postcards this summer from his nanny, and I wanted to "mail" them to him in this box, but it wouldn't really work.

The name decal for the side is just a strip of white stick-on paper, and you have to write the name yourself with your own marker. I wish they had included a sheet of preprinted alphabet letters.

Overall, I would NOT buy this again. It was a waste of money for us.
on March 24, 2008
We got this for our 2 yo who was already excited about getting, opening and pretending to send mail. He really likes the mailbox and does play with it often. My only complaint is that it's not big enough to fit regular envelopes (we usually give him junk mail to play with). This is very frustrating for him when he tries to put something in and it won't fit, and a bit frustrating for me since I have to find small envelopes and postcards for him to use. Otherwise, seems to be fairly well made and sturdy; we liked the fact that it operates just like a real mailbox with the door and flag.
on February 24, 2011
I'm wondering if maybe it's sort of luck of the draw when it comes to this mailbox, from reading the other reviews. Some people complain about the quality, but ours is perfect. The door doesn't stick at all, the flag works great, and the only time it tips over is if someone forcibly shoves it.

We didn't bother with the name stickers, because we have two little girls, ages 4 and 2. My husband and I periodically leave notes for each of them in there, and we just move the mailbox out a bit, and raise the flag, so they know in the morning they've got mail.

Our toddler loves to put things in the mailbox (especially trains), and the preschooler likes to write letters to all her imaginary friends (Captain Hook is a current fave), then put the flag up, and sure enough, next morning, the letter is gone! ;)

We first encountered this mailbox at our dentist's office, and my girls have played with that one, ours, and a friend's and have had no issues with any of them. They love this mailbox. We've had it for a couple years now and it still works as great now as it did when we first got it.

So it's possible to get a high-quality one that functions as it's intended, and provides lots of fun. If ours didn't work properly, I'd have sent it back as defective, and gotten a replacement. I don't mean that in a callous way against the negative experiences here with this toy -- there have been other toys we've bought that were defective, and thankfully Amazon's got a good return policy. We've never had any problems with getting a replacement for a defective toy. I was really surprised to see the negative reviews here, and am glad we had good luck with ours.
on January 3, 2007
I purchased this mailbox to go outside with my daughters playhouse. I knew that it would last outside because of it being Step 2. But we found that it was really small to hold letters and kept tipping over. So we invested in getting her a real mailbox. I would not by this again. It is good quality but not very sturdy.
on October 19, 2007
My 3 yr old loves to put mail in to it and then walk it over to us to "deliver" us our mail. He loves it.

It is a little smaller than I thought. It is about 1.5 to 2 feet tall, and the box is only big enough for "small" letters, but it is a good size for him. It is big enough for him.
on April 16, 2010
Since my little on recently recieved a playhouse from her grandparents, I thought it needed a mailbox so I purchased this for it. I really like Step2 products (I have the mailbox, house and picnic set) since they're made in the USA along with being safe and durable. My daughter loves playing with it and opens and closes the door and puts the flag up and down. Since it's all plastic we can leave it outside without worrying about it. The only thing to realize is that it's very light so it's easy to knock over or carry around for little ones. I decided to put some ballast in it so it wasn't as mobile and dumped some sand in it, which has worked pretty well.

Overall a great addition to our play area.
on December 16, 2009
This is a nice, durable mailbox for driving up to in your riding toy (or carrying it around in the bed of your pickup truck as my two and half year old son does). It is small. The box itself does not hold even a postcard without bending it to make it fit. However, my son enjoys putting mail in it and I even put his mail in it when he gets a card from Grandma or a small toy booklet. I like that there are no bells and whistles, no batteries needed.
on May 20, 2007
MY 2 and 6 year old LOVE this They move them around the yard and play post office they have stickers and envelopes They turn their little play house into the post office and send lots of letters. The play date kids love these too! I purchased two of these and plan on buying 1 more. Very Cute and My kids now are very into wanting to write and mail real letters so a good educational toy as well.
on January 18, 2010
I bought this for my 22 month son for Christmas last year because he loves getting the mail. He still plays with it, but only if he is passing by it. Otherwise, the interest isn't there like I thought it would be. It is shorter than him and the decal for the name is only able to be written on which I wasn't too impressed. Otherwise, it is a very durable toy and I think he will continue to play with it but not as much as anticipated.
on June 10, 2009
I got this mailbox for my 3 year old son who is obsessed with the mail. After reading some reviews where people were saying that the door sticks, I wasn't sure about buying it. But it was on sale at toys r us and there was a huge display of mailboxes, so I tried each one till I got one that had an easy door. So it works for us and I'm glad I bought it.