Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: B+W Stepdown Ring 77mm to 67mm
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Size: 77mm to 67mm|Change

on May 1, 2012
I bought this product for use with my B+W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Coating. I simply bought the largest filter size I needed for my lens kit (77mm) and counted on using step down rings for my other lenses (67mm in this case for my Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS). Every other filter in my camera bag is a B+W and every other filter in my bag has been well worth the high price paid.

The product is priced not terribly far (at least by B+W standards) from cheaper step down rings. It turns out that this is simply because it's of similar quality to the cheap products! The step down ring itself is extremely light and is probably made of Aluminum. I find this completely unacceptable based on the fact that B+W touts (and somewhat justifies the high price of) their other filters based on the high quality brass ring. My issue with the Aluminum vs. Brass ring isn't based on vanity or snob appeal, but simply the fact that this ring binds nearly 100% of the time to any other B+W filter (the only kind I own) to which it is attached. For a company with a reputation of making (probably) the finest camera filter products in the world, this is completely absurd.

I've even gone so far as to attach this ring to my 67mm lenses first, then gently attach my 77mm polarizer to the front of the step down ring. When doing this, I don't even screw the polarizer's threads to the end of their travel within the step down ring. I choose to gently rotate the front element of the polarizer in the "tightening" direction without touching either the back ring of the polarizer filter or the 67mm-77mm step down ring. By doing this, the polarizer serves as a "clutch" that ensures barely any torque is applied to the polarizer/step down ring interface. NEVERTHELESS, it still sticks! I'm an aerospace engineer with a pretty decent technical grasp, so one of the first precautions I took when realizing that this filter was not brass was to be careful not to foul the threads. I can't express how irritating this binding problem is in the field.

Based on seeing other reviews for this product, it looks like I'm not the only one with this sticking problem. Some of the other reviewers gave 5 stars to the product despite the sticking/binding (are you kidding me?). Another review mentions that small metal shavings are present in the threads of their step down ring after use (again illustrating why Aluminum is unacceptable for this application). B+W, as a professional outfitter, should be absolutely ashamed for having released this product. If this amateur user is annoyed at missed photo opportunities because of this binding issue, I can't imagine how furious a pro would be.

I've never given a 1 star review on Amazon in my life. This is the first and I'd happily give zero if possible. There is absolutely no excuse for a company like B+W (with utmost reputation for quality) to put out this kind of garbage. As of now, my nearly $200 B+W polarizer remains bound to this step down ring!
review image
1111 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2012
It got stuck on the filter and took Channel-Locks to get it off.

I had lubricated the threads, I was very careful to not jam or cross-thread it, I used every grippy trick I knew or could think of to get enough of friction to unscrew the cursed thing and eventually got out the tools to spin it loose. Of course that ruined it, and good riddance!

Why on earth B&W left these smooth and didn't think to machine knurling into these rings so we can all get a grip is a mystery. They really dropped the ball on these.

Maybe those specialized, padded, oil-filter removal pliers, might have gotten it off and not destroyed it in the process it, but those are big tools and who's going to carry them into the field?

Since I'm not the only one with problems removing the rings, I'll avoid them in the future.
on April 12, 2011
This step-up ring works, but when I used it on vacation in Japan the filter got stuck. I tried everything I could at the time, including purchasing two plastic wrench-like straps at a camera store to unbind the pair, but to no avail. After returning to the United Sates I cut a piece of dense 1/4" foam rubber and laid the filter-ring combo on that and twisted delicately but with force to finally unstick them. Now I keep the foam rubber with me and screw filters in very lightly.
on February 5, 2012
This ring is thin and light but once it's on it's on. I put a circular polarizer on it and there was nothing I could do to get it off. Maybe I should have saved my money and bought the Adorama instead.
on October 20, 2011
I bought this to go on my B+W 82mm XS-Pro Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating. It went on and worked just fine. I used this step down ring to connect that polarizer to a canon lens and also to connect the polarize to a promaster uv filter that was on the lens already. Both situations worked out great. The ring can sometimes be hard to get off of the filter. I have not noticed and metal filings coming off of the threads. This is definitely a quality stepdown ring.
on March 21, 2013
I purchased this stepdown (its actually a stepup) ring to use with two high quality B+W filters I already own in a different size. This convertor ring was a little bit more than some of the other rings available on Amazon, but I thought I was getting B+W quality.

Turns out this is just a cheap piece of aluminum that actually feels like you could bend it with your fingers. Requires a delicate touch to use. To make matters worse, it doesn't come with it's own carrying case. I can just picture opening up my bag to grab this ring and finding it all dinged up.

It does what it's supposed to, but I don't have alot of confidence in the build quality.
on April 5, 2014
This works really well. It isn't the typical b+w brass ring but it is light and well made. People have been complaining about sticking but I have not had that problem. It is very thin and does what is says and needs to do.
on August 28, 2013
There isn't a whole lot that I was asking of this product when I clicked the "Buy Now" button a while back. As long as it let me put my 77mm filters on my lenses with 67mm filter threads without royally sucking, then I was going to be a happy customer who was going to write a good review. What I received in the box was a product boasting the typically excellent B+W build quality that performed to the typically excellent B+W standards. Naturally I'm not able to use hoods on some of my lenses while I'm making use of this fine product, but that's my own fault for being a cheapskate and buying a stepdown fing rather than a bunch of 67mm filters. Five stars.
on April 28, 2014
Any old shutterbug ex-boyfriends you wish to torment? Here's a legal solution to your rage: send them this worthless and phenomenally frustrating piece of kit, which will stick to their fancy filters like glue and cause them endless hours of frustration trying to separate the two. Glenn Close could have spared the bunny rabbit in Fatal Attraction if she had only known about this Stepdown ring which she could have sent to Michael Douglas instead. Kidding aside, buyer beware as even the most careful end user will experience life altering frustration as your next step after receiving this item will be trolling the DSLR message boards for separation solutions (pencil graphite, two rubber sole shoes, bending a knee in church?). Thanks, Schneider.
on August 24, 2014
Skip this ring. It fuses to my B+W filters every time. You can't adjust a circular polarizing filter without it tightening down and it's a pain to get apart. I guess it's the cheap aluminum on brass like another reviewer mentioned.