5.0 out of 5 stars does exactly what it's supposed to do

Published on May 1, 2012 by W. Dwyer

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Disappointed B+W User, May 1, 2012
W. Dwyer (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: B+W Stepdown Ring 77mm to 67mm (Electronics)
I bought this product for use with my B+W 77mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Coating. I simply bought the largest filter size I needed for my lens kit (77mm) and counted on using step down rings for my other lenses (67mm in this case for my Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS). Every other filter in my camera bag is a B+W and every other filter in my bag has been well worth the high price paid.

The product is priced not terribly far (at least by B+W standards) from cheaper step down rings. It turns out that this is simply because it's of similar quality to the cheap products! The step down ring itself is extremely light and is probably made of Aluminum. I find this completely unacceptable based on the fact that B+W touts (and somewhat justifies the high price of) their other filters based on the high quality brass ring. My issue with the Aluminum vs. Brass ring isn't based on vanity or snob appeal, but simply the fact that this ring binds nearly 100% of the time to any other B+W filter (the only kind I own) to which it is attached. For a company with a reputation of making (probably) the finest camera filter products in the world, this is completely absurd.

I've even gone so far as to attach this ring to my 67mm lenses first, then gently attach my 77mm polarizer to the front of the step down ring. When doing this, I don't even screw the polarizer's threads to the end of their travel within the step down ring. I choose to gently rotate the front element of the polarizer in the "tightening" direction without touching either the back ring of the polarizer filter or the 67mm-77mm step down ring. By doing this, the polarizer serves as a "clutch" that ensures barely any torque is applied to the polarizer/step down ring interface. NEVERTHELESS, it still sticks! I'm an aerospace engineer with a pretty decent technical grasp, so one of the first precautions I took when realizing that this filter was not brass was to be careful not to foul the threads. I can't express how irritating this binding problem is in the field.

Based on seeing other reviews for this product, it looks like I'm not the only one with this sticking problem. Some of the other reviewers gave 5 stars to the product despite the sticking/binding (are you kidding me?). Another review mentions that small metal shavings are present in the threads of their step down ring after use (again illustrating why Aluminum is unacceptable for this application). B+W, as a professional outfitter, should be absolutely ashamed for having released this product. If this amateur user is annoyed at missed photo opportunities because of this binding issue, I can't imagine how furious a pro would be.

I've never given a 1 star review on Amazon in my life. This is the first and I'd happily give zero if possible. There is absolutely no excuse for a company like B+W (with utmost reputation for quality) to put out this kind of garbage. As of now, my nearly $200 B+W polarizer remains bound to this step down ring!

2.0 out of 5 stars Had to destroy it to remove it, December 12, 2012
It got stuck on the filter and took Channel-Locks to get it off.

I had lubricated the threads, I was very careful to not jam or cross-thread it, I used every grippy trick I knew or could think of to get enough of friction to unscrew the cursed thing and eventually got out the tools to spin it loose. Of course that ruined it, and good riddance!

Why on earth B&W left these smooth and didn't think to machine knurling into these rings so we can all get a grip is a mystery. They really dropped the ball on these.

Maybe those specialized, padded, oil-filter removal pliers, might have gotten it off and not destroyed it in the process it, but those are big tools and who's going to carry them into the field?

Since I'm not the only one with problems removing the rings, I'll avoid them in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but Sticks, April 12, 2011
This review is from: B+W Stepdown Ring 77mm to 67mm (Electronics)
This step-up ring works, but when I used it on vacation in Japan the filter got stuck. I tried everything I could at the time, including purchasing two plastic wrench-like straps at a camera store to unbind the pair, but to no avail. After returning to the United Sates I cut a piece of dense 1/4" foam rubber and laid the filter-ring combo on that and twisted delicately but with force to finally unstick them. Now I keep the foam rubber with me and screw filters in very lightly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stuck, February 5, 2012
This review is from: B+W Stepdown Ring 77mm to 67mm (Electronics)
This ring is thin and light but once it's on it's on. I put a circular polarizer on it and there was nothing I could do to get it off. Maybe I should have saved my money and bought the Adorama instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars does exactly what it's supposed to do, December 13, 2009
The B+W step-up rings seem somewhat more solidly-made than some generic versions, and have a very nicely-done anti-reflective matt finish on the inside (which is important to avoid reflections between the front face of the ring and the back side of the filter); some of the generic ones have a much shinier paint job all over. B+W rings also feature a chamfer on the inner edge which helps avoid vignetting in cases where the field of view of the lens is very wide, and the outer front edge is bevelled and serrated to give a better grip when swapping filters. For such a simple device, it's obvious some thought has gone into these things. They do look nice too, if that's a consideration!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great adapter ring, March 22, 2008
This review is from: B+W Stepdown Ring 77mm to 67mm (Electronics)
This is strong, thin, well made, and lets me use my high quality B & W polarizer on both my 77mm Canon 10-22 and my Tamron 18-50. It is a quality piece of work and can save you a bundle by allowing you to use expensive filters on lenses of different diameters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what its suspossed to. Just be careful of packaging, January 5, 2009
FYI. Package says 77-72 Reduzierring (Reducing) and not "step-up". The confusion is that it reduces a 77mm filter to fit on a 72mm lens end. So the term 72mm - 77mm step-up ring is confusing as you will not see those words on the package.

Caused me to return something that I could have kept. I will note that a non-reply by the seller edged me to return. A simple reply would have cleared things up.

5.0 out of 5 stars One expensive but high quality ring of metal, October 20, 2011
Ryan (Clovis, California United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this to go on my B+W 82mm XS-Pro Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating. It went on and worked just fine. I used this step down ring to connect that polarizer to a canon lens and also to connect the polarize to a promaster uv filter that was on the lens already. Both situations worked out great. The ring can sometimes be hard to get off of the filter. I have not noticed and metal filings coming off of the threads. This is definitely a quality stepdown ring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for what it does, February 15, 2011
Step down or step up, not sure which is a better term. You step up from the lense but down from the filter. Oh well, if you have a lense that takes 62mm filters & want it to take 77mm(most pro's choice) filters you need this...or something like it. This is a all metal(not sure if it is aluminum or brass) step down ring. B+W is a company known for their excitent product's. You can tell by the price, :) but they do. I have used their filters for years & I will continue to use them becasue of their quality. Could you find cheaper, you bet. But for me I like the quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, does what it does, February 27, 2008
There is not much to say about this product - it does what it's supposed to do. It's solid metal and feels pretty durable.

There is a little vignetting at 18mm on my Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens, but zooming in just a hair fixes this. I don't consider this a design flaw, just a natural by-product of stepping up a filter. Maybe it could be avoided if the step-up ring was thinner, I don't know, but this might lose some durability.

B+W Stepdown Ring 77mm to 67mm