4.0 out of 5 stars A Male Chauvinist Fantasy Gone Terribly Wrong
I never saw the original movies nor did I ever read the book so I came to this film without any preconceptions. I found it delightful.

Published on May 4, 2006 by John A Lee III

1.0 out of 5 stars D- remake of an A+ story...
Published on December 12, 2004 by WeezyBoPeep

1.0 out of 5 stars D- remake of an A+ story..., December 12, 2004
WeezyBoPeep (RUSTIC NORTHERN MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Stepford Wives (Special Collector's Edition) (DVD)
This is the first movie review I have ever done on here...im normally a music reviewer on here. But this time I just can't keep quiet. I have read 5 Ira Levin books, and he is one of my favorite writers. So when I discovered that THE STEPFORD WIVES was made into a movie, I had to go rent it. I LOVED IT, the simplicity of the filming and the acting just captured the essence of Levin's story. Just like Rosemary's Baby. I was equally excited when I discovered that it was being remade again with the modern cast...after all, I'm a young guy and I thought, cool, now people will be able to see this great flick that I have loved for years.

WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT. The remake sucks. It has the main character, Joanna, as this feminist ultra career oriented freak and it really fails to capture the beauty of the original with Katherine Ross, and without a doubt, does not deserve to have Ira Levin's name anywhere in the credits...its a SHAM. Don't buy it. They ruined this great tale!!! Get the original, or ROSEMARY'S BABY which is available for a lot less on here...

1.0 out of 5 stars Red Haired Stepford-Child, November 15, 2004
Dan Mcgarry (Ft Huachuca, az USA) - See all my reviews
First, I'm not in the habit of panning films. My worst criticism has always been "It's worth seeing, but I wouldn't buy it." This remake of the Stepford Wives has set a new standard. Don't even rent it.

I do not know what happened - whether they ran out of money for SFX or the stars demanded more of the budget than they'd counted on, but whatever it was, it cost the movie.

Basically, there are 2 ways to view this story Scary or Funny. They failed at both. The book and original movie were spooky and disturbing. Frank Oz set out to make the remake a comedy, but failed. There is no continuity or consistency. Are the Wives Robots, or brainwashed women? Either could be true. One of the deleted scenes shows Bette Midler turn into Inspector Gadget (interesting, since Mathew Broderick is in the film, too) sprouting a variety of kitchen utensils from her fingers, and finally dropping a lawn mower from her butt, which she then rides out into the yard to cut the grass. It was both disturbing and funny, and there was no doubt that she was a robot. So they cut the scene. I think they suddenly realized halfway through the production that they wanted a happy ending, and that wasn't possible if the human wives had been killed and replaced with automatons. So they cut the scenes where their mechanical nature showed, but not all of them - there's still enough enough glimpses of Faith Hill giving off sparks, and serving as an ATM machine. The possibilities of the robots had great comic potential, which was abandoned. Another cut scene had the husbands urging Mathew Broderick to get the cigarette lighter option - "You'll be glad you did..."

Bottom Line: The Remake of "The Stepford Wives" isn't funny, and it isn't scary, it's just sad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless, Insipid, Vacuous, Waste of Time., July 5, 2005
CaterpillarGirl (Gainesville, Florida) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Stepford Wives (Special Collector's Edition) (DVD)
Thank God I got this from the library, Free of charge, didnt buy or rent or go to see this in a theatre. I loved the original Stepford wives, it was funny and creepy and mirrored that 70's fear of women becoming "robot" housewives instead of being liberated. This version made no sense, they werent supposed to be robots, or were they? they had chips implanted into thier own bodies? which one was it? They had boobs that inflated, money come out of thier mouths, they didnt burn. BUT at the end it was implied that it was just some microchips in the brain that made them act differently. Were there two scripts that just got combined and no one checked the continuity? Nicole Kidman, poorly cast, Matthew Broderick, poorly cast, well, the whole movie was poorly cast. It wasnt funny AT ALL. The "remote controls" for the women were a bit like the "toys" I have seen in X-rated stores. Even the 1987 Made for TV movie "the stepford children" was better written AND acted than this flop.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Terrible Movie!, June 2, 2005
This review is from: The Stepford Wives (Special Collector's Edition) (DVD)
This is an incredibly BAD movie!!

Other reviewers have discussed the plot and details, so I won't repeat them.

I just wondered who wrote the script: 100 monkeys randomly typing on computers?

This was one movie that I simply could NOT watch to completion. I hope that it did NOT make a profit - that would only encourage its producers and director.

3.0 out of 5 stars Much Ado about Nada, June 11, 2004
MICHAEL ACUNA (Southern California United States) - See all my reviews
The newest incarnation of Ira Levin's "The Stepford Wives" is first rate until about ¾ of the way through...then in a mad dash to end the thing, all logic is thrown out the door. At that point, what it really looks and feels like is, is that about 10-15 minutes of the movie was lopped off in order to come in under an hour and a half; which is too bad, because up to then, "The Stepford Wives" really has a lot of interesting things to say about man-woman relationships and marriage in the new millennium.
This new version even incorporates a fully accepted, by Stepford society, Gay couple: though one could argue that one of the partners is too gay to be true. Be that as it may, Bette Midler as a neo-hippy novelist (Bobbi Markowitz) and Nicole Kidman as a whacked out former major TV network President (Joanna Eberhart) are ironic and funny-as-hell.
But what happens ¾ of the way through? Who knows? Maybe the DVD version will give us the full version and fill in the gaping hole at the conclusion for us. As it is in the theaters now, "The Stepford Wives" is funny but woefully incomplete: finishing just short of making a complete and coherent comment about marriage-american-style in this year of 2004.

1.0 out of 5 stars a Step Down, June 11, 2004
By A Customer
The original Stepford Wives was a suspense, filled with a "Big Brother" feel of erie similarity; a comment on suburbia and modern values. This is a poorly made re-make, played for laughs. It has no moral center. In fact, it's so over-the-top, it is as if the producers of this trash just hired the stars to go through the motions, no acting requried, and the expression of the main characters is about at the same level as the robotic wives. Who cares who's replaced? I am still waiting for Hollywood to stop re-making films that were decent to begin with --or has everyone forgotten how poorly made imitations of Charade and Sabrina were?

1.0 out of 5 stars This movie is one of the worst I've ever wasted time viewing, December 22, 2004
The director couldn't make a decision on what to do with this movie so instead they made the movie non-commital and confusing. Pick a direction and go with it.

The question I was left with is, "Are the woman robots or are they real women that have chips inplanted to control their behaviors?" Apparently, the director also doesn't know the answer to this question because the movie waffles back and forth between both plots. I could elaborate more on how both plots are peppered throughout the movie, but to do so would give away scenes. Not that I think anybody should waste their time watching this swill, but if you do then I don't want to diminish the experience by giving away specific parts of the movie.

In summary, you would have to be brain dead to miss the huge holes this movie has in it. You can watch it, but do it realizing that you'll never get that 92 minutes of your life back.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is a VERY BAD MOVIE., June 12, 2004
David a HUTH (North Hollywood, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Unfortunately, I think that Frank Oz was so concerned with the way the film looked, that he forgot to have the plot make ANY sense. I mean, a film doesn't have to be thought-provoking, but it should AT THE VERY LEAST make sense in it's context. This film doesn't. At the end, it's revealed that the women weren't robots after all, they just had some "chips" planted in their brains. Well then, how does one "wife" dispense money like an ATM, or another "wife" who's bust-size increases with the push of a remote control button??? And what's with the duplicate body of Nicole Kidman with the black eyes? Just there for display?? Another prime example of a studio rushing to meet a release date, not caring about the finished product. I'm REALLY surprised it wasn't directed by Alan Smithee. Mr. Oz, please stick to Yoda and Miss Piggy.....

4.0 out of 5 stars A Male Chauvinist Fantasy Gone Terribly Wrong, May 4, 2006
This review is from: The Stepford Wives (Special Collector's Edition) (DVD)

Nicole Kidman plays a powerful TV executive and Matthew Broderick plays her somewhat weak-willed husband. After she suffers a breakdown, he decides to move the family to a seemingly idyllic suburban community in Connecticut. The place seems too good to be true. All the houses are mansions, all the yards are neatly manicured, all the neighbors are friendly and all of the wives are beautiful. Mostly, though, all the wives are submissive "50s" moms who exist only to comfort the husbands.

This last realization does not come all at once. The men, particularly Broderick, take the situation as normal. It is the newly arrived women who think things are strange. In Kidman's words, "It's not natural for the men to be so happy." Her friend, played by Bette Middler, makes another odd observation: all of the women are beauty queens and the men are geeks. It's just not natural. "When her friend turns from a shrew to a housewife extraordinaire, she becomes frightened and begins to do some checking. She learns that each of the complacent and submissive women used to be a powerful executive of some type or another. In her fright, she determines to take her children and flee. The problem is that the kids are missing. When she confronts the community leaders, she learns the shocking secret.

It is unclear in the film what is happening. Either the wives are being replaced with submissive robots or they are being programmed with chips in the brain. Either way, they are effectively made into love slaves who are great at housework.

When Kidman is replaced, she too becomes a mindless drone but she and Broderick have a plan in mind. The men of the town will NOT like it. Revenge is bitter!

It's lots of fun.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Example Of Finish The Script Before Filming It, May 21, 2005
This review is from: The Stepford Wives (Special Collector's Edition) (DVD)
I read a lot of pretty bad reviews about this, I dunno why I bothered watching it, but here's my verdict.

The first half of the movie is OK. It's about a woman who loses a very high paying and powerful job heading a network and I take it she has a breakdown. Her and her family move to a weird place where women are so-called "Perfect house wives" (I guess if you like a bimbo with no intelligence) and it's discovered they're robots.

Well, that's the first dumb thing of the movie. They say they are robots but, the process of how the women become the way they are is not robotic, it's more computer-chip brain-washing.

The second half of the movie, or wherever one of the bimbos spews up $20 in $1 notes is where the script must have run out and they where writing it on the spot. The plot just goes down, down, down, down, down until the movie turns inside out and commits suicide on itself.

Things don't make sense, the ending is dumb and the reasons are stupid. The thing that hurts the movie most is the fact that it starts off as a comedy, then almost goes into a suspense/horror kind of theme, then goes back to comedy, then thriller, but nothing makes it a full thriller or suspense movie, which is the way I think it should have gone (apparently like the original but I've never seen it)

This movie I would highly recommend you give to students who wanna be film makers and show them why it is important to have a finished script before they start making it. Give it a good beginning, a middle and good ending, take some time, there is no rush.

I agree with Nicole that it is a bad movie. But I reckon she only admitted it because it wasn't another boring blockbuster she could be nominated for some award for.

Rent it? Nah, wait for TV and have you're remote ready to chanel surf.

The Stepford Wives (Special Collector's Edition)
$12.98 $4.28