5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking Read!
Published on October 15, 2009 by Larry

3.0 out of 5 stars I am Philosophy?
Published on August 20, 2009 by A. Ciardiello

3.0 out of 5 stars I am Philosophy?, August 20, 2009
A. Ciardiello (Gainesville, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stephen Colbert and Philosophy: I Am Philosophy (And So Can You!) (Popular Culture and Philosophy) (Paperback)
I bought this book because I have other titles in the Popular Culture and Philosophy series and am a big fan of Stephen Colbert. I assumed that the contributors to this book would combine philosophy and themes from the show, but I turned out to be mistaken. A couple of the philosophers do indeed do that, but many took the opportunity to preach their own political agendas rather than analyze Colbert. I also question whether or not the philosophers contained herein watch the Colbert Report on a regular basis. A few cite specific episodes, but others seem to over-generalize. To that extent, I was greatly disappointed. Open Court Publishing missed a great opportunity here to really philosophically analyze the Colbert Report.

That being said, there are a few good chapters in this book (for example, Chapter 3, "Things that Make You Go 'What?'" by Roben Torosyan). If you are still interested, check this book out from the library.

Stay Strong Nation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking Read!, October 15, 2009
Larry (Ridgecrest, CA USA) - See all my reviews
A collection of essays, written by philosophers, that clarifies and provokes our sensibilities about the man, Stephen Colbert, his public persona, and our culture. Intriguing is the notion that the man's persona mirrors our culture, and the reflection reveals the day to day dogma expressed in our style of communication, our values, and our judgments. A quote from the book:

"....In his interview with Congressman Joe Sestak, Colbert captured the profound difference between Roosevelt and Bush when he attempted to conflate their perspectives by misstating Roosevelt's quip as follows: "hit them with a big stick and walk softly away". When Congressman Sestak respectfully corrected Colbert, his response was "semantics"..." While Roosevelt's famous quote "walk softly and carry a big stick" was wildly misstated, Colbert's expression of childish bravado and egocentrism trivializes the difference in a humorous and satirical fashion. The book provides example after example of Colbert's verbal missteps deployed as comedy, revealing a side to our culture that we prefer not to confront with serious debate.

What I found most intriguing about the book were comparisons between ancient philosophers and Colbert, suggesting that Colbert may be our modern day Plato: "Plato's irony was deep, dark and disdainful. He despises his audience for their self-satisfaction. But if the Colbert-Socrates comparison is apt, shouldn't we imagine Plato wringing his hands and laughing at Socrates' unsuccessful attempts to lead Athenians out of the cave? Doesn't he regret Athen's failure at the same time that he takes pleasure in observing and mocking it's absurd self-satisfaction?..... Perhaps we should ask whether the real Stephen Colbert behind the ironic mask on the Colbert Report, is America's Plato. He is condemning us at the same time that he makes us laugh, and he is trying to turn us away from the shadows on the wall of the cave despite knowing that he is predetermined to fail."

The book challenges your intellect. Each essay offers a different perspective, revealing hidden truths about not only the Stephen Colbert character, but about who we are as well. Great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sure to please fans of both 'The Report' and the book series, October 15, 2009
Who knew a spinoff on a second rate cable network could have such an impact? "Stephen Colbert and Philosophy: I Am Philosophy (And So Can You!)" approaches the character Stephen Colbert, the man behind the character, and how the Colbert Report has had quite the impact on modern society and politics despite being admittedly nothing more than a comedy show. "Stephen Colbert and Philosophy" is another fine addition to the pop-culture and philosophy series, sure to please fans of both 'The Report' and the book series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, September 9, 2014
To call Colbert amazing and profound is to understate it a great deal.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the book I was looking for, January 5, 2014
Not the book I was looking for so settled on it. Expecting it to be a positive book. Very negative. Won't finish reading.

1.0 out of 5 stars So clever, November 24, 2013
Herbert W. Fawcett (San Francisco Bay area) - See all my reviews
Apparently I just can't stand this guy. I got about half way through the book and tired of the cleverness. Done with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Could not upload to Kindle, January 9, 2013
No issue with the book. Did not realize that there are certain books that cannot be uploaded to the kindle. I bought this as a gift for a kindle and person that it was given to could not upload it. Person has since contacted customer service and received a credit to her account so that she can order another herself. Amazon needs to have added steps involved to make sure purchasing something that can be used.

2.0 out of 5 stars my fault for not reading carefully, January 8, 2011
K. Biddle (Northwest Mississippi) - See all my reviews
this is not a book BY stephen colbert.. it's a book written about philosophy and how stephen colbert's humor is analyzed. i was not particularly impressed with the politics. i just wanted another lighthearted fun stephen colbert book... imagine my disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Colbert for Supreme Ruler!, March 4, 2010
This guy is just as good in written form as he is on the tube. Definitely worth picking up!

2.0 out of 5 stars Why are these books published?, May 22, 2010
I bought this because it was suggested when buying "I am America, and so can you", but actually I couln't finished it, the book has no purpose, time is valuable so choose a better thing to read.

$19.95 $15.03