5.0 out of 5 stars Hell is Repetition!
"Hell is repetition", says Andre Linoge. "Hopefully, this review won't sound too much like repetition to my readers", says your humble reviewer and friend.

Published on October 23, 2012 by citan-uzuki

3.0 out of 5 stars Storm of the Century - turn up the fire, light the lights
Published on June 13, 2000 by Valerie O'Neill

5.0 out of 5 stars Hell is Repetition!, October 23, 2012

Out of all of Stephen King's mini-series for television, this one is my favorite. And unlike his other mini-series, this one was written for television right from the start. In other words, it was not adapted from one of his books. He wrote it with TV in mind, right from the start.

The story takes place on a small island near the coast of Maine, Little Tall Island. The plot begins with the news of an upcoming storm, the storm of the century. The town starts preparations for the storm, while on the edge of town, in front of a small house, a stranger in a navy peacoat appears. He knocks on the door of the house and murders the elderly woman living there as soon as she opens the door. He bludgeons the old woman with his cane, killing her. "Born in sin, come on in", utters the stranger in the navy jacket as he enters the house, stepping over the dead woman.

The town grocer, who is also the part-time constable, takes the man into custody and locks him in the jail cell behind his store (like I said, it's a small town). The stranger identifies himself as Andre Linoge. Linoge seems to know all of the town people's deeply-held secrets and makes them public, causing distress and mistrust to spread among the villagers. Soon afterwards, the people start acting out in violent ways. Murder and suicide begin. And the only clue that Mike Anderson (constable and grocer) has is a cryptic message found on the corpses, "Give me what I want, and I'll go away". Meanwhile, the storm continues to rage outside, increasing in fury and intensity. The people all gather in the basement of the City Hall in order to shelter from the violent storm. Snow pours down heavily from the sky as the waves batter the coast unrelentingly.

Mike and his sidekick, Alton Hatcher, suspect Andre Linoge is the one causing the mass murders and mass suicides through some kind of mind manipulation. They decide to form a small posse, with a pair guarding the jail cell at all times, taking shifts. Linoge waits for the height of the storm and then breaks out of his jail cell, with the posse unable to stop him, he walks out into the storm. A short time later, Linoge appears at the storm shelter beneath city hall, and instructs the villagers to call a meeting for that evening. He tells them that he will return for the meeting, he will tell them what he wants during the gathering. As he walks out, back into the storm, all of the children fall into a comatose state.

I do not want to spoil the story for you, it's excellent. This is definitely worth watching. Tim Daly plays the town constable, Mike Anderson. Mike is one of those people with natural leadership skills. He is well-respected in the community for his intelligence and honesty. Jeffrey DeMunn plays the town manager. Debrah Farentino plays the role of Mike's wife, Molly Anderson. And Colm Feore plays the role that he will be best remembered for, the sinister Andre Linoge.

3.0 out of 5 stars Storm of the Century - turn up the fire, light the lights, June 13, 2000
This review is from: Stephen King's Storm of the Century [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Even if I hadn't known Stephen King was the author of this 250 minute movie, I would probably have guessed. The attention to intricate detail which means a long movie (you can't leave anything out) is one of the hallmarks of King's work. The convention of the dark stranger who seems to know a small town's intimate secrets is a popular one with King, and although this is not a "scary" movie as such, it still has the suspense you'd expect. The acting is professional and workmanlike, if not Oscar material, and the scenery (of which the weather is the star) is lovely. If I could be sure I wouldn't be snowed in for days with a bad guy, I'd like to go and visit this little Maine island. My eighteen year old son and myself spent a lovely cold and miserable afternoon watching this movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Has King Written All Over It, August 4, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Stephen King's Storm of the Century [VHS] (VHS Tape)
What an innovative idea from the Master of the Macabre to write a "novel" exclusively for television! When I first heard that Stephen King had a new miniseries coming out in 1999 and I heard the title, I kept saying to myself "I'm missing one of his books!" Until I finally realized the concept. Of course, after seeing King's words on the small screen I wish we could all read them in an actual novel (not just the teleplay). Sigh.
Believe it or not, I did not watch "Storm of the Century" when it was first teleplayed in February. And being the King fan that I am, that was not at all like me. But I had to make a choice - you see, 'Storm' started the same night and time as the X-Files and I just couldn't miss my show (the second part of a major mythology two-parter, no doubt). And seeing as I could never watch a King miniseries after missing the first part, I sadly missed it (and even worse heard from others how good it was!). But in the back of my mind I kept telling myself I would get to see it on video one day. Little did I know how soon the video would be released!
Happily I watched the four-hour+ miniseries, without commercials :), over two nights - it was a little too long for one sitting in the middle of a work week. And I really enjoyed it.
I hadn't known quite what to expect. Like most of you King fans, I would usually see one of his movies AFTER I had read the book (short story etc.). But, think about it, 'Storm' was NEW to everyone, King fan or not.
Tim Daly gave a wonderful performance as Constable Mike Anderson, the soul of the group of islanders. And Colm Feore as Andre Linoge (who reminded me a little bit too much of Leland Gaunt in "Needful Things," out to destroy another town), gave a credible, frightening and almost hypnotic performance.
Always love King's movie cameos, ala Alfred Hitchcock, and he gives another one here as a lawyer in a sleazy TV ad (through the broken picture tube, no less!).
Good, consistent Maine accents from the actors; can't help but have that drawl when saying Martha Clarendon!
Very suspenseful too. I truly did not figure out exactly what Linoge wanted until we, like the islanders, were told.
Great Town Meeting scenes at the end. Almost "realistic" in its conclusions - good does not always win out over evil, even in Stephen King's world. Excellent. (And "nice" homage to "the Lottery" there.)
Loved the reference to Dolores Claiborne in regards to the island being able to keep a secret; the collective dream of the islanders, especially the scene when the townsfolk walk off the dock into the ocean; and the oh-so-subtle, blink-and-you-missed-it, literal disappearance of some of the players into thin (white) air while watching the decimation of the light house.
I would have given 'Storm' 5 stars, but there were a few things that bothered me: the snow was fake and, quite frankly, it looked like it. And, for the Storm of the Century, it sure didn't look like there was much of it. The toppling of the lighthouse, at the critical point of implosion, looked like a tiny model on a sound stage. Plus, Linoge's cane (specifically the wolf's head) was a little tacky, and although I literally jumped the first time he bared his fangs, it wasn't so scary the tenth time. Also, the ending, after Linoge leaves the island, was a bit dragged out.
But these really are little things overall.
I know eventually I will buy 'Storm' on video (I have all the other miniseries; but when is "The Shining" coming out?), but the current price is too much. Unfortunately, I can't see myself watching the whole thing again for awhile. I'm not sure exactly why, but I think I know in my heart that nothing will ever surpass the thrill of seeing 'Storm' for the first time.
P.S. I will never listen to the song "Little Teapot" the same way again!

3.0 out of 5 stars King's Confusing Morality Play..., May 14, 2000
Steve Bradford (Frederick, Maryland USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stephen King's Storm of the Century [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Stephen King's "Storm of the Century" is a good flick. Yet many King fans will attempt to associate it or transpose this work - don't bother. This movie is NOT based on any of his, or Bachman, books. Instead, this is King's evolvolution into a a very visual movie producer attempting to unbind himself from his book writing persona. He accomplishes this grand task in "Storm of the Century."
Based on a Maine island preparing for the snow storm of the century in 1989, the movie is based on a stranger, Andre Linoge, who kills a elderly woman for no evident reason. Then, he escalates into a bizarre evil force that captivates a small Maine island whos occupants have a hard time dealing with the truth. Mr. Linoge seems to know every evil act committed by the island's occupants: cheating, lying, bodily harm, and adultery. Instead, they seem oddly comfortable living in denial. "Give Me What I Want And I Will Leave" is the ongoing testement for Mr. Linoge. His methodology for death, with the help of his murderous cane, is often pointless and grotesque at times. The significance of this cane is never mentioned. Yet I was very pleased and quite surprised by Mr. King's ability to develop his characters so deeply. The Constable, played by Tim Daly, is wonderfully acted and developed. In "Storm," viewers quickly become familiar with the many Islanders only after the first hour. The unfortunate problem is that King doesn't develop the antagonist, Andre Linoge (great acting by Colm Feore!), no where nearly as some would have liked. Instead, throughout half of "Storm," you'll find Linoge's character sits and stares. When Linoge does speak, it shows wasted time on and underdeveloped character.
The ending is both vivid yet a letdown. Mr. Linoge's whole intent seems overkill while the Islanders reactions often understated. I think viewers will either love or hate it. Either way, viewers will enjoy the beautiful scenery, vivid photography, and colorful charecters in "Storm of the Century."

3.0 out of 5 stars Scary but Slow-Moving, November 4, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Stephen King's Storm of the Century [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I have mixed feelings about Storm of the Century. While I did wait with great anticipation for each installment of the mini-series, I must admit I thought the plot moved VERY slowly. Lenoge was a great villain - he was creepy and quiet and deadly. Every time his teeth turned into fangs I got goosebumps. There were many suspense-filled moments but few scenes of sheer terror. It's like the anticipation builds and builds and then falls flat. I kept waiting for the movie to move along faster in pace, but this thing went slower than my Ford on a cold Winter day. Okay, so having said that - I will admit that every night AFTER I had finished watching each part of the series, I was so tense that I couldn't fall asleep unless a light was on somewhere in the house. So I guess for all my condescension about the plot - I was effected by the movie on some level. One of the good things about this movie was the setting -- an island cut off from the mainland by a terrible snow storm - its inhabitants literally prisoners of the environment - so that when you add a supernatural maniac (who seems to have an affection for the song "I'm a little teapot" ) who wreaks havoc - you have the basis for an entertaining movie. I just wish it had moved at a faster pace and that it had reached the climactic scenes earlier.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must For King Fans; For The Others, Read On..., June 8, 2001
At the outset I'd like to say that King's fans are gonna love this one. It's a bit slow, long, but it's spooky, scary, terrifying, nightmarish, and it delivers an unforgettable message at the end. Vintage King.
Now, for the rest...
A weird guy shows up in an island in Maine (King's favorite State), and kills an old lady for no real reason. But he doesn't go away - he waits to get arrested. In this case, however, the real prisoners are the residents, some of whom are murdered in vicious ways by the stranger, with the help of his ominous-looking cane.
Colm Feore is terrific in the role of the evil man, while Tim Daly does a decent job as the town grocer and Constable. The really cool thing about this film is that you never notice the length (close to 4 hours!), as scene after scene captures your imagination and tortures your soul.
Small town mentalities and moralities are exposed for what they are - cheap, narrow, selfish, and deadly. Each character has (or has had) a past (or present) that they'd never like the world to ever know. But the stranger (the Legion) knows EVERYTHING about everyone.
As secrets come out, and as hidden conflicts are brought out into the open, one can see the characters change faces. When the main objective of the stranger is revealed by him during a town meeting during the course of the storm, it's time for soul-searching and morals-testing. None emerges unscathed, except Tim Daly and his wife, though in completely opposite ways.
The ending is definitely not satisfactory, and seems forced to deliver some sort of closure to the viewer.
In summary- Positive things:
1. Good, strong character development.
2. Powerful storyline.
3. Intelligent, relevant screenplay.
4. Good photography.
5. Excellent acting by most.
6. Wonderful music score.
Negative things:
1. Length (some people will definitely groan!)
2. Unsatisfactory ending.
3. Colm Feore is not used very well.
4. Slow beginning, with a few scenes of really bad dialogue delivery and acting.

5.0 out of 5 stars King's Best Since The Stand, Disturbing to the Hilt!, February 11, 2000
This review is from: Stephen King's Storm of the Century [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This was absolutely the best thing on television in 1999. Stephen King's best mini-series since the adaptation of The Stand. King's portrayal of a close knit, secret enshrouded Maine town has become one of his trademarks. Not since Salem's Lot has a King created town been host to such a delicious evil. I was truly fascinated by Colm Feore as the supernatural villain who only asks that the town gives him what he wants. And what he wants no one should ever give willingly. This was one of those "I can't believe that just happened" type of movies. The fact that a film of such devious quality was made for television is again a testament to Stephen King's appeal. Half the stuff in this movie I was surprised even passed the censors. But boy was I glad it did. My only disappointment was that King didn't turn this into a book. The screenplay is fantastic but a companion novel would have been such sweet frosting. This movie is a confirmation that Stephen King hasn't gone soft with age, he's only gotten better. Like a fine wine or more appropriately a can of beer.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Choice Is Ours, July 2, 2007
BOO (New York) - See all my reviews
Only one word can describe this film, DEEP!! This is an extremely spiritual movie. I enjoyed every minute. This movie proves that we all ultimately choose our path in this life. Outcomes and all. It teaches us about free will and the power that we have inside to beat any and all demons. Too many of us run to church on Sunday, screamin' HALLELUJAH!! and are living the most trifling lives. The people on this island were full of herendous sins. They had verbal faith, but not spiritual faith on a soul level. When the time came for their faith to take action and pull together as a unit in God's name, they all cowered. All except one, but that one could not do it alone. Anything in this world, whether good or bad, we must first consent to the allowance of anything to happen to us and/or through us. Nothing happens without God's permission. If we are part of THE ONE TRUE SOURCE, that means that God lives within us and we in God. We give the okay for things to happen. This is why free will is always a daily challenge. The knowledge of Spirit is not enough. Our belief(s) is what will sustain and ultimately save us. The Demon in this movie knew this. He knew these folks were simple/take the Bible literally morons and that their "faith" was none. For those whom have not seen this movie, I will not spoil the ending, but remember this: A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. And even the strongest link cannot hold the entire chain together. Nothing is stronger than the power of the Almighty. Whatever that means to each of us. Ponder upon the many spiritual lessons in this movie. Thank you Stephen King.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Miniseries, Despite Shortcomings, December 6, 2004
Ana Sedai "Ana" (LaPorte, IN United States) - See all my reviews
The setup is familiar to all King fans by now, indeed to every fan of the horror genre. We start out in a nice, quaint little town, preferably fairly isolated. Weird things start happening, people start to panic, while the main character(s) try to keep everyone's heads screwed on straight. The cause of the weird things (usually a Very Bad Thing) is discovered, and then the hapless townspeople are left to decide what to do about it.

Since the setup itself is so familiar, the enjoyment of a horror movie (or book) is dependent on the style in which it is presented. And style is one thing Stephen King has in spades.

The style in "Storm" comes from the characters, of whom Constable Mike Anderson (Tim Daly) and Andre Linoge (Colm Feore) are the two best examples. They represent the polar opposites of good and evil in the story, and they both do a very good job of it. Style is also found in the setting, or rather, the *state* of the setting, i.e. the storm itself. The parallels between the characters' increasing mental stress meshes perfectly with the worsening of the storm's conditions, at least right up to the climax, where the two diverge. More on that later.

The style also comes from the dead-on depictions of small-town life, complete with its choking atmosphere, lack of privacy, small-minded citizens, and petty crimes. Those who accuse the cities of being corrupting influences would do well to spend any extended length of time in a tiny town.

Anyway, style

4.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Choice for Viewing during Blizzard Conditions, October 8, 2000
Amazon Customer (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (COMMUNITY FORUM 04)
This review is from: Stephen King's Storm of the Century [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Living in the frozen north, where winters lasts half the year, it is good to know we have the perfect set of tapes on the shelf to watch when the next blizzard hits, we get dumped with a foot or more of snow, and we're going to be stuck inside for a while. "Storm of the Century" combines the snowbound claustrophobia of "The Shinning" and the mob mentality of "Needful Things" with the most recurrent theme in King's work: good people having the courage to do good things. However, as is often the case in King's stories, sometimes that is just not good enough.
As King himself has observed, at its heart "Storm of the Century" is the dark counterpart to "The Green Mile," with each centered on the mystery of the man in the jail cell. Andre Linoge (Colm Feore) has come to Little Tall Island just as the fiercest winter storm in recorded history is about to hit. After murdering one of the residents, Linoge waits calmly to be taken into police custody by Constable Mike Anderson (Tim Daly). But once in his cell he tells the townsfolk, "If you give me what I want, I'll go away." Then things start to happen, secrets are revealed and more people die, and suddenly the citizens of Long Tall Island are ready to agree to Linoge's proposition even before they know exactly what it is he wants.
"Storm of the Century" works better without commercial interruptions and viewed in one sitting than it did in the original three-parts. This is a story where the horror grows slowly and you share the unease of the characters as to what is going on and what they can do about. Colm Feore does a nice job of underplaying the role of Linoge, while Tim Daly slowly loses it as the situation and Linoge combine to undercut his legal and moral authority within the community. Debrah Farentino has the pivotal role of his wife Molly, who ends up being caught in the middle. Daly's is the key performance that holds the entire story together, and the cast of character actors does a nice job of providing the sense that this is a real community dealing with a most unreal situation.
This television mini-series is much more suited to the intimacy of a television set in a living room than a movie theater, which better suits a film like "The Perfect Storm." The blizzard merely sets the stage for the human drama. In a way this story anticipates this summer's love affair with the television show "Survivor," where people end up talking about what they would do, and to who, if they were in that situation. King has always been a moralist, knowing full well that most people are not inclined to do the right thing, and always striving to come up with a story that might actually inspire some people to listen to the better angels of their nature. So pick up a copy, put it up on the shelf, and wait for the snow to start falling...

Stephen King's Storm of the Century [VHS]
Stephen King's Storm of the Century [VHS] by Becky Ann Baker (VHS Tape - 2000)
$24.99 $13.99