Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Format: DVDChange

on September 18, 2013
This is a technical quality review of the new disc, not a review of the film itself.

Stephen King's THE LANGOLIERS has been on DVD since the early days of the medium. Artisan Entertainment/Republic Pictures issued that old DVD back around 1999-2000. It's one I purchased way back when, but about a year ago, when I went to watch it, the disc suddenly would not play. It wouldn't read in any player or computer. It was simply dead. I rationalized that the Langoliers must have eaten the data off the disc.

Knowing that the disc wasn't ever very expensive, I thought I'd grab a working copy from the Internet, which is what I did. It seemed to be out of print last year, so I had to resort to finding it in the marketplace as a used copy. The new copy played fine, but I noticed a tiny hairline crack near the central hub of the disc, so I figured that even this new disc would someday possibly fail.

Recently, while shopping in a store, I saw THE LANGOLIERS on the shelf with new front artwork. At the time, I assumed it was simply a re-issue with new artwork as so often happens. Making note of it, I checked it out here in the listings and was unable to determine just what this new disc was. It said it was from Spelling Entertainment, whereas my old copy said Artisan/Republic.

Nevertheless, curiosity got a hold on me and I obtained the newer package of THE LANGOLIERS. Now that I had it in my hands, I could see that the new disc was issued by CBS/Paramount, giving me a pretty good clue that perhaps a remaster had taken place. Checking it out, I find that the picture quality is an improvement over the old Artisan disc. The blacks are blacker, and the color palette is warmer while the image is a bit brighter. At the very least, the fact that this was a CBS/Paramount issue told me that it probably would be a disc that wouldn't go bad over time. Their quality control is usually pretty good on the manufacturing side. I've placed a few screenshot samples over at the Home Theater Forum where you can see the difference in brightness and color palette.

There are also some additional audio languages included on this one - English, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese. The original was English-only I believe.

Make no mistake, this is still a DVD of a '90s program that was finished in the video realm, meaning that it'll never be anything resembling high definition. The picture is still soft, and there's still a bit of grittiness in some scenes, particularly when any special effects processing took place.

So, if you're a fan of the film and want to spend a little to upgrade a little, this disc will do the job. It'll look a little better on today's bigger TVs. Just don't expect a miraculous improvement and you'll be satisfied.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
A terrifying, edge of your seat thriller from the Master storyteller Stephen King, presents a red-eye flight from L.A. to Boston, that turns into your worst Nightmare. The beginning of the horror grabs your attention immediately, and keeps you there until the end, with nail-biting tension. Passengers have vanished, and the flight to no-where leaves the survivors confused, and frightened to death. Once they land the plane, the dread they feel as the clocks stop, is only the beginning of the horror. Stephen King prepares the viewers to witness the terrifying flight, like no other we have seen, and he does it to perfection. This scary, intense movie will make you think, long after you see the movie, and before you hop aboard your next airplane. Acting performance of the entire cast is Superb, and visual effects are mesmerizing. Chilling, thrilling, and entertaining from start to finish! Highly recommended.
on August 30, 2014
We like this movie. It's not fantastic, but it's a little longer and the quality is pretty good. Not a low budget movie, but not a multi-million dollar budget either. Having said this, it was engaging, fun to watch and kept on moving.

The story is very cool. Not King's usual horror scare, but rather a neat idea, with terrifying implications. It's a successful story told well. Acted well enough. You'll enjoy it.

A Solid "B"
on April 3, 2015
On a red flight from LA to Boston, most of the passengers and crew disappears except 10who were asleep.

The 10 survivers represents what this flight needs.

..Dianah.. Blind girl. She's very perceptive as most blind people are.

..two teens from different walks of life. Bethany who needs a rehab. On the other side is Albert who is a musician.

..Laural is needed to provide companionship for Dinah.. Just because she she sounds just like her teacher from the blind school.

..two ordianly men..gaffney and warreck are along for the ride.

...Craig Toomey.. Is the mad man who lost 43mil on purpose!! No flight like this should never be without one like this.

...Nick Hopewell.. A British secret agent. He's needed to keep Toomey on the level and to play doc.

...Bob Jenkins.. Mystery writer. He's needed so he can tell the others what is going on.

...Who is missing? Oh yes this flight can not do without a pilot. Enter Brian Engle. You know why he's needed. His ex wife died in a fire in Boston so he was just a passenger--until he is called to serve his real purpose.

Yes this flight has what is needed.
on February 21, 2014
This has always been one of my favorite Stephen King movies, and I was thrilled to be able to purchase it. Packaging and delivery were exceptional and timely, and I am totally satisfied.
on January 28, 2014
If you ever wondered what happens to yesterday wonder no more. The Langoliers destroy yesterday in order to make room for today. You might not subscribe to this, but it is happening all around us as we continue to destroy one generations past in order for the next to exist.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
On one level, Stephen King's THE LANGOLIERS (TV-1995) really worked for me as I'm not the most relaxed airline traveler. Not a perfect film by any means (CGI effects are cartoonish), but it does follow Roger Corman's #1 rule of monster movies: build up anticipation as long as possible before showing the creature(s).

The plot's intriguing: ten passengers on a jam-packed jet flying non-stop from L.A. to Boston awake in the middle of the night to discover that all the other passengers and the flight crew have vanished, leaving behind personal possessions like jewelry, pocket change, false teeth, Walkmen, watches (all stopped at 7 after 4), reading material, etc. Fortunately for those still on the plane, among them is an off-duty airline pilot (David Morse). After the cockpit door's forced open, he takes the captain's seat.

When there's no answer on any radio frequency it soon becomes apparent that everyone on the ground has also disappeared. Stress from this dilemma is worsened by one self-important loudmouth (Bronson Pinchot) who won't stop screaming about the necessity of making a 9 am meeting in Boston. Only the threat of violence from other passengers shuts him up, but this cold sweating paranoiac is sure to cause more trouble.

Also on the plane: a burly tool & die maker (Frankie Faison), a teen girl (Kimber Riddle) sent East to a rehab, a young man (Christopher Collet) who's off to college on a violin scholarship, a blind girl of about 12 (Kate Maberly) hoping that an operation will restore her eyesight, a fifth grade schoolteacher (Patricia Wettig) who becomes the child's guardian, a chubby guy (Baxter Harris) who's first and last thought is of food, a mystery writer (Dean Stockwell) that's obviously King's surrogate (his surmises advance the story) and a secretive, take-charge kind of felllow with a British accent (Mark Lindsay Chapman) who assists the pilot and also helps maintain order. As the story progresses we learn details of each person's life, and there's some pairing off, romantic or otherwise.

As they fly cross-country above an unending cloud cover, questions remain. Where did everybody else go? Why were these few left behind? What will be found once they reach their destination and will they even be able to land safely?

If you're a fan of Stephen King screen adaptations or of good mystery stories, THE LANGOLIERS is really worth seeing.
on April 26, 2014
excellent choice for any fan of stephen king, good movie for a rainy day. good cast, this is why people should sleep on planes
on April 29, 2015
I saw this one on cable years ago. It's not as good as I remember, but still, not too bad.

Both Amazon, and the DVD case list the movie as having a 4:3 aspect ratio. When I first started the movie, it looked too "square", like
about a 4 to 3.8 ratio. That seemed wrong, so I set my player for 16:9 and it then looked correct. Watched on my computer, it fully filled
my monitors 1920 by 1080 field. To squeeze three hours of video onto a single-sided disc, takes serious compression. As a result, the
colors are a little muted, and the detail is soft. It's watchable but don't expect sharp crisp video.

Not one of Steven Kings best, I suppose, but still a decent addition to my video library.
on September 5, 2015
I enjoyed this movie. It did keep me wondering what exactly was going to happen to the passengers on the airline throughout the story. It was not what I would ever call 'horror' but it is more suspenseful. It actually reminded me of an old Twilight Zone episode called "The Odyssey of Flight 33" where an airline full of passengers somehow get warped through time. However, I will just let you know in advance that when you finally see the Langoliers, they are so completely fake for today's audience, it could completely ruin the credibility of the story. But just take it with a grain of salt knowing that it was not made with the kind of computer effects we have today. It is also a long movie, about 3 1/2 hours in length so be prepared to settle down for a while if you watch it in one sitting. But it's a fun story to watch.