5.0 out of 5 stars '...and now, the rest of the story'.
Published on June 14, 2004 by Robin Benson

2.0 out of 5 stars Great photos - poor quality printing
Published on December 14, 2010 by Amazon Shopper

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars '...and now, the rest of the story'., June 14, 2004
This review is from: Stephen Shore: Uncommon Places (Hardcover)
On page six of this large book, Stephen Shore writes, in the Artist's Note, "The book you are holding in your hands amounts to what might be called the photographic equivalent of a director's cut". It is in the nature of such things you now get an additional ninety-four photos with the forty-nine that were in the original 1982 Aperture edition, though this is not strictly true because some that were in the original are not in this edition.

I bought the original book because I loved the way Shore captured the everyday urban American outdoors and of course the amazing color and detail. This new edition is even better because the photos are now larger, mostly 10.5 by 8.25 inches. The other thing I love about some of these photos is the way Shore captures the street corner, this seems to be a favorite composition (stretching back to the famous FSA photos of the Thirties) with contemporary photographers and Photorealists painters like Richard Estes or Davis Cone. Shore's 'El Paso Street, Texas, July 5, 1975' could just as easily be an Estes painting. There are several corner photos in the book and they are just stunning.

Another reviewer has commented on the amount of detail in these photos, helped of course by the two hundred plus screen, the original book used a 175 dpi. Apart from the screen it is interesting to compare images that appear in both books and the color does vary. 'Beverly Boulevard, June 21 1975' in the original (page 39) is predominately brown for the street area, in this edition (page 115) it has changed to a predominately blue cast. I wonder if this is the sort of thing that concerns collectors of first edition photo books?

In addition to the photos in this beautifully designed and printed book there are two text pieces, the first one, by Stephen Schmidt-Wulffen, includes twelve photos from Shore's 'American Surfaces'. The back of the book includes biographical notes and a useful bibliography.

This latest 'Uncommon Places' will be a book I'll look through for some years to come.

***FOR AN INSIDE LOOK click 'customer images' under the cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars a TRUE master, April 24, 2006
This review is from: Stephen Shore: Uncommon Places (Hardcover)
this is one of the first great works of color photography, and is still as fresh and significant as it was 30 years ago. forget all the imitators of today's contemporary scene, this was one of the first and is still better than anything to come along since (with the exception of sternfeld's american prospects which is equally great).

and for those who say this is snapshot photography, think again. view camera, deliberation, and intent here are razor sharp and NOT filled with accidents or casual images.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great photos - poor quality printing, December 14, 2010
Amazon Shopper (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stephen Shore: Uncommon Places (Hardcover)
I'm not sure why the other reviewers called this a great quality book? For an art book the printing is terrible. The two copies that I received both came with warped/bent pages throughout. The images are treated with a weak spot varnish that makes the photos look washed out lacking contrast and density. No fault of Amazon. Their service is great. They took back both copies. Maybe the publisher needs to do some QC with the printer. Too bad. Shores photographs are wonderful. Much too good for the mediocre printing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Uncommon Here...., February 9, 2011
This review is from: Stephen Shore: Uncommon Places (Hardcover)
Stephen Shore grew up in downtown New York. One day, he and a friend decided to drive to Amarillo, Texas and get out of the big city for a spell. Uncommon Places is a result of that trip. Although I'm not a huge fan of landscape photography, I enjoyed viewing what Shore thought was "uncommon" (the name of his book), as I grew up in rural and smalltown America and found many of the photos "commonplace." That is no disrespect to the artist, however. I find him incredibly compelling as an artist and a person.
What I find intriguing is that Shore reconnects one with those images from their past and also invites the viewer to see their smalltown landscape from a new, invigorating lens. The photos of small towns, diners, beaches, and movie theatres brought me to a place where I wondered "What is Common?" "What is Uncommon?" To Stephen, that would be my reality. He would find me and my reality, uncommon. Wow. Never considered that before. I, no doubt, would find his the same.
Shore is famous for winning critical acclaim when he was twenty-three, photographing Andy Warhol's Factory, the temple of underground art in the sixties.
Uncommon Places is a selection of forty-nine photographs taken between 1973 and 1981.

4.0 out of 5 stars First, read the interview at the back., September 25, 2013
Michael Haspert (Mountain View, CA) - See all my reviews
(So, this is me coming up to speed on Stephen Shore.)

At first I didn't get it. Page after page of what seemed snapshots except for the high level of detail. I was ready to dismiss it as a mystery-- "The Case of the Missing Point", to be precise.

HOWEVER, some of the shots brought me to a stop-- evocative far beyond the apparent ordinariness of the image. This made me suspect that I had missed something in the images I had dismissed. I didn't learn until the interview at the end of the book what he had been trying to do, or that he was using a view camera to do it. All these shots were 'deliberately trying to look casual', but were also very deliberately composed, with some kind of hook, usually in the detail. Aha. My second time through the book was much more enjoyable.

So if you are studying photography, this book is like a textbook in at least one way: It has some of the answers in the back-- Read the interview first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful photography that legitimized color, January 6, 2014
This review is from: Stephen Shore: Uncommon Places (Hardcover)
I should mention that I am not one to dwell on the past and especially film photography. I love digital photography and especially color photography as I feel black and white often makes it too easy to take photographs by avoiding an entire world of color. All of the pictures of this book were taken before my time so I don't have any personal attachment. I later found how important this series was in legitimizing color but even without that knowledge, when I saw the pictures in this book, it was as if they were taken with a modern phase one medium format camera taken by an expert photographer.

The pictures are big, bold, colorful but not overdone, well composed, and sharp. For the instagram generation it's tempting to merely think they are snapshots, but they are not. They are brilliant both technically and in composition. Even by today's standards of nanocoated lenses and 36 megapixel D800 cameras, the quality of these pictures are second to none. I later found that these were taken by a large format camera which means what looks like snapshots were taken by a big heavy camera on tripods. The pictures are so sharp and realistic that it instantly engulfs the viewer and makes you think you're in El Paso in 1974.

Highly recommended for photographers of today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, November 2, 2006
This review is from: Stephen Shore: Uncommon Places (Hardcover)
This is my new favorite book. I found it by accident as I didn't know Stephen Shore. The feeling, mood, and color in his images are so great. If you're like me who like anything 70's, then you will love this book.

His photography was considered very cutting edge at a time when all fine art was shot in black & white. Mr. Shore has a gift to make the ordinary like extra-ordinary and beautiful. If you love photography, you need to own this book! [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful., March 23, 2014
This review is from: Stephen Shore: Uncommon Places (Hardcover)
This book is truly gorgeous. Make room on your coffee table for this one, trust me.
A wonderful gift for a photography-loving friend or just yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, April 26, 2013
LM (Spokane, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stephen Shore: Uncommon Places (Hardcover)
What's not to love. A classic photography book featuring the work of one of my favorite photographers. A true inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars precioso, February 11, 2013
This review is from: Stephen Shore: Uncommon Places (Hardcover)
un libro legendario. una forma de mostrar el paisaje norteamericano muy personal y discreta. excelentes imágenes. una obra de referencia además en la composición fotográfica y toda una justificación de la fotografía en color.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Stephen Shore: Uncommon Places
Stephen Shore: Uncommon Places by Lynne Tillman (Hardcover - June 15, 2005)
$55.00 $34.63