Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ten Steps to Advancing College Reading Skills: Reading Level: 9-13 (Townsend Press Reading Series)
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

VINE VOICEon November 12, 2011
It seems I'm the first reviewer to write about the contents of this book rather than its condition or the services of its various sellers. Until now, not one of the ESL students who have left comments appears to have grasped the fact that Amazon reviews are intended to inform potential buyers about the quality of a product. I suppose this lack of comprehension on the part of English language learners is evidence of the crying need for the reading skills that this text imparts.

I teach at Seattle Central College, and our intensive English program has used John Langan's "Ten Steps" series for many years. The books are generally regarded as among the best for preparing students to tackle challenging academic reading. They effectively break down the process into discrete skills that build upon one another in order to help learners master the task of understanding and using information from college-level texts.

The ten steps may be covered in a quarter or a semester. Each chapter introduces one skill, including an ample supply of examples, exercises, review tests, and an extended final reading selection with an exam. Six mastery tests of graduated difficulty appear at the end of each chapter, and these pages are perforated so that they may be torn out and handed in for grading. Ten additional high-interest readings accompanied by tests are featured in an appendix, and even more exercises and exams are available online. The titles of the chapters are Vocabulary in Context, Main Ideas, Supporting Details, Implied Main Ideas, Relationships, Inferences, Purpose and Tone, Argument, Critical Reading, and Combined Skills.

Good teachers know that only by practicing as often as possible will reading skills advance. This reasonably priced book and its companions "Ten Steps to Building College Reading Skills" and "Ten Steps to Improving College Reading Skills" are designed to provide an abundance of material that should keep students engaged and learning throughout a school term and beyond.
on October 7, 2015
Awesome book!! I bought this book to improve my reading skills in college and It definitely works. The content and topics are perfect to develop logical thinking so if you want to improve your reading skills you're in the right place. Highly recommended!++
on March 18, 2014
I bought this book because it was required to have for my class ESl level 5. Even after, the class was done i still keep the book because is very handy to have for people who are studying English as a second language.
on March 18, 2013
This is a great textbook. Very comprehensive in covering all issues related to college reading skills. Interesting for students to read as well.
on October 2, 2013
Did not like the fact that it was already written in. I bought the book for the class I'm taking and it doesn't help that the answers are already there
on December 25, 2014
I received my package on time, brand new as promised, and wonderfully packaged. I'll defiantly be ordering more books from this vendor in te near future. Thank you so much!
on March 3, 2014
I rate the book Ten Step To Collage Reading skills in good condition when it arrived at my home, it saved me a lot compared to the asking price for a new book.
on March 24, 2013
Very good book when used well and you have to study it to learn a lot from it. Nice book. I made an A in all my classes using the books that I bought here.
on October 20, 2014
Great service and very good quality book. Had to return it though, because It was not the right book. Other than that very pleased with the product.
on September 21, 2013
Very helpful book, answerable my questions, lots of reading and interesting supporting questions! I just starded but so far I can recommend it!!