Most helpful critical review
55 of 61 people found the following review helpful
Can't be trusted in the backcountry
on August 20, 2010
I would love to be able to recommend the steripen because when it works, it works great. What I can't figure out is why it works perfectly at home, but is very sporadic on the trail. On a recent weeklong backpacking trip in Utah three of us had these along and all experienced the same problem. It would only work correctly about 25% of the time - meaning that the light would successfully stay on for the required amount of time. The other 75% of the time we would all get the red failure light. I can assure you this was not operator error. It would often take three or four tries of having the light on in order to get it to work. Other times it would go straight to error and we had to give up.
If you disregard this review and take it into the backcountry I strongly suggest that you bring either chlorine or iodine tablets as a back-up.