5.0 out of 5 stars Your shoes are sterilized and ready sir
Published on May 14, 2012 by spongemonkey

3.0 out of 5 stars If I were a man, it would get 5*s
I bought this from my podiatrist after laser toenail treatment. I love it - it works really well on my athletic shoes and loafer style shoes. But like most women, I have quite a few pairs of high heeled pumps, "fashion" boots, mules, clogs etc and it's a struggle to use sterishoe on them.

It acts like a shoe tree and the handle part must be pushed down in order...
Published on October 4, 2010 by A-Ha

3.0 out of 5 stars If I were a man, it would get 5*s, October 4, 2010
A-Ha "Ann" (Milwaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SteriShoe® Ultraviolet Shoe Sanitizer / Sneaker Deodorizer / Boot Sanitizing Treatment / Kills Organisms that cause Athletes Foot and Toenail Fungus (Onychomycosis) (Size: L - Large) (Health and Beauty)

It acts like a shoe tree and the handle part must be pushed down in order to activate the light. It's nearly impossible to activate it if your shoes are high heeled, backless, shallow backed, pointy, etc. etc. Also, the bottom of the handle is curved and made out of glossy plastic so even if you get it to work initially- there's no guarantee that it will stay down! It tends to slip up - especially on any type of shoe with a lining such as fleece or silk or fine kid - and those darned blinking lights come on. It gets very frustrating!! Both units operate on one cord and the leads for each shoe tree are very close together. So you may get one shoe to work, and be struggling with its mate, only to dislodge the sterishoe that had been in place. I've found that a bungee cord can help hold the handle down - but that too is a struggle to use. it has to be really tight to work and it can be tough not to smush your shoe! Sterishoe's recommended work around of propping the shoe against the wall has never worked for me. It seems counter productive to stuff the toe of the shoe with a sock and trying to wedge something in the back often causes the handle to slip up. I am using a size XS model - I wear a 7-7.5 shoe - so it may be that it's too small to prop successfully.

Otherwise - I love it. And if you wear mostly closed heel shoes it will probably work well for you. But I think for $125, the company should include an adapter for woman's styles of shoes. Just my $.02!

5.0 out of 5 stars Your shoes are sterilized and ready sir, May 14, 2012
I recently had the laser toenail fungus removal treatment dealy done to my toes, and was then recommended to either get this or spray Lysol or the shoe spray they use at bowling alleys, into my shoes every night. At first I tried the Lysol and quickly decided I didn't want to have to do that every night because of the smell and also because then you are supposed to wait 48 hours to wear the shoes!
Anyhow, I opted for the SteriShoe. It seems a bit pricey up front, but it does seem like a pretty solid product.
I can't honestly say if it is killing fungus or not, but it does work as described in terms of fitting in my shoes nice and snug and staying on for the appropriate amount of time (around 45 minutes). I can safely say it has eliminated any smell from my shoes, including my workout shoes, which get worn about 6 times a week.

If I had one negative thing to say about it, it would be that it would be cool if it spoke to you when it was done... Something like "Your shoes are sterilized and ready sir", in a sexy female robot voice. But I'm sure that would make the price jump way up and would annoy some people. And then some people would want a sexy male robot voice, and then you would have to make more versions of it.
Ok. On second thought that is a bad idea.
It is perfect the way it is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ingenious device, October 25, 2011
I've been needing an effective way to get rid of any fungus my shoes might harbor, short of replacing all my shoes at once--a much more expensive proposition than the cost of the sanitizer. I am very hopeful for this product, which so far seems to be working well as designed. I've had it about three-four weeks now.

This is an ingenious device. While I liked the idea of sanitizing with ultraviolet light, I was concerned about how the device could be used without danger to the eyes--since it is harmful to look directly at such light. Based on the positive reviews here I decided to give it a try and just be super careful about the light.

When I saw the design of these, I was truly impressed. They are designed to greatly minimize any possibility of accidentally looking at a lit lamp. Each lamp sits within a shoe-tree shaped frame which compresses on a spring to fit snugly between the toe and heel of the shoe. The lamp will not work unless the shoe tree is compressed, so it must be placed within the shoe. Then, with the trees inserted, you place the shoes into provided dark-bags which, when cinched, block out the light. A sensor on the shoe trees is designed to turn off the lamp if it detects any ambient light. So unless you go about setting up the shoe trees in the dark, your eyes shouldn't have any chance of being exposed to the ultraviolet lights. I still try to make sure the lights are well enclosed within the shoes and bags before I turn the shoe sanitizers on, though.

My feet are particularly sweaty, and I've found that my shoes with thick, soft soles, like my running shoes, need about three treatments before they smell fresh. Not having a microscope handy, the fresh smell has been my primary indicator that the treatment is going well. Each treatment lasts 45 min., and the lamps have an automatic shut-off. The lamps need to rest at least 15 minutes between treatments and I'm suspecting that I get better results when I remove the shoes from the bags to air in the open between treatments. The lamps seem to generate some warmth and with very moist shoes, it seems some of the moisture evaporating from the insoles can stay trapped within the bags.

I've encountered only two minor problems. One is that the suggested method for using the device on backless shoes seems to have been an afterthought. While the method works somewhat, it seems to do so on a hit-or-miss basis. I was able to successfully use the lamps on one pair of sandals, but for other backless shoes I had to do one shoe at a time, needing to use both of the provided straps together to get enough length to secure the device in compressed position--e.g. for backless clogs. Certain sandals just didn't seem amenable to the device at all. But as I hadn't been expecting to be able to use the devices on sandals, I wasn't disappointed. Meanwhile, I'm experimenting with brushing/scrubbing the foot bed at the toe of my wooden sandals with a tincture made from black walnuts--which are supposed to have anitfungal properties -- and letting that dry before wearing them. It seems to help.

The other problem I've had with the sanitizers is with one particular pair of ladies' flats I own. They have a very low-cut toe box and a metal decoration that goes over a gap in the toe box, where the toes of the foot would show through. The lamps shine onto this metal within the bags, and that seems to cause a problem if the bags are touching the metal. The first time I treated these shoes, I saw what looked like a small dark stain on one bag near where the toes of the shoes came, and thought I might have accidentally got some water or grease on the bag. But the spot didn't dry up and when, after another treatment of the same pair of shoes, a similar spot appeared on the other bag in about the same position, I considered that it might be due to the metal decoration inside the bag. My guess is that since the metal was exposed to the lamp, due to the low cut of the toes of the shoes, the lamps either heated the metal or their light otherwise reacted with the metal in a way that caused the metal in turn to react with the bags. Since then, I've tried placing some cardboard toe inserts over the toes of those shoes, between the metal and the bags. These are curved and keep the bag lifted off the metal, and doing this seems to have solved the problem. I've kept an eye out in case the metal would heat sufficiently to ignite the cardboard, but the lamps don't touch the cardboard directly and so far so good.

For shoes with normal toe-boxes and enclosed heels, I highly recommend the product. For other designs, be prepared to tinker a bit to get the device to work right with the shoes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Item, November 2, 2010
Sterishoe:
Pros:
-Solidly built, easy to keep clean.
-Eliminates shoe odor (so I assume it is eliminating bacteria & fungal spores as is claimed-verdict still out on helping to cure toenail fungus, which takes time-will update later).
-Sizing is flexible (has a large range of movement) so exact sizing is not too fussy - I bought a small which works for women's size 8 and men's size 10 and use with everything from clogs (with some finagling - see con) to boots (bends enough to get into a boot).
-Safety features work well and the indicator light is bright, easy to see, and goes off to indicate completion of a cycle as well as blinking if unit is not in safe mode to operate.
-Nice that the unit plugs in as a pair (one plug) and not separately for each shoe.
Con:
Not really a problem, but this is where the item could be improved (which is why I didn't give a 5):
I wear clogs and other open heeled shoes and the Sterishoe does not work with those as is, although you can devise your own method to force it to work. I did not find putting the shoes up against a wall (as some have suggested) to work as well as using a strap to tie the back of the unit under the heel to hold it taught - but that, too is awkward and does not hold reliably and takes a little finagling every time you want to use them. It seems to me a simple attachment could be devised, which would really help this situation and make this product perfect!

2.0 out of 5 stars works as advertised - until it doesn't, August 6, 2012
fried003 (Alexandria, VA) - See all my reviews
Have owned this for two years & recently bought a ShUVee, which is a very similar device as my Steri-shoe began to malfunction. It's now at the point where one of the units quit altogether.

Assuming they are equally effective at killing germs in a shoe - there are differences worth noting for those deciding which one to buy when the need arises for this type of thing.

This is sold by size, so, for example, my wife would not be able to use it & would need her own based on her shoe size. The ShUVee can accommodate any sized shoe & she can use the ShUVee unit I just bought.

The ShUVee can sanitize open-back shoes/slippers as the shoes just hang on it - the Steri-Shoe, realistically cannot, as there needs to be a closed-back or strap to the shoe in order to engage each unit.

The Steri-Shoe offers more portability as the units fit into shoes. The ShUVee is larger & would be tough to take in luggage on an airplane. Also, the ShUVee has a somewhat provocative look to it; I can see it freaking-out a hotel maid.

Steri-Shoe runs on a 45-minute cycle - ShUVee runs indefinitely, until the user stops it. Steri-Shoe is nice in that as pair of shoes can be started on a sanitation cycle just before leaving your house & knowing it will stop automatically. Not so with the ShUVee. (Personally, I think 45 minutes is enough in most instances)

Steri-Shoe is basically silent - the ShUVee emits a constant hum that's noticeable.

Steri-Shoe costs more than the ShUVee.

New comment as of 4/20/13 - one of the SteriShoe units quit functioning altogether. I called the "800" number about ordering a replacement left-foot unit - but unfortunately, that's not possible. I would need to order a new complete set.
After isolating what the issue was, I was hoping to order a replacement, but their "policy" would be similar as requiring me to buy a new car because my current car would need a new alternator.

I also sent back my ShUVee as the hum elevated to a screech. Within a week I had a new unit, which is improved - they took away the plastic that encased the UV bulbs, making the sterilization process more effective. They never asked when I bought it - just sent out a replacement with no questions asked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Protecting ny investment, September 7, 2011
I recently decided to get rid of toe nail fungus. The condition had been around for some time. I had learned about a new laser treatment for fungus and decided to give it a shot. Educating myself about the nature of toe nail fungus it became clear that re-infections are a problem. This includes re-infections from shoes as well. The Sterishoe addresses this problem. I have used the device for a while now and am pleased with it. The device is well designed, looks good and is easy to use. I have made it a habit to sanitize my shoes.
Treating fungus takes time and is quite expensive. I wanted to do it only once and things are looking great so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent customer service, May 16, 2010
I ordered this product on the recommendation of my podiatrist. When it arrived, it did not work. After a very quick call - a new one was on the way along with a prepaid shipping label to return the defective one. Customer service was very polite and helpful. Now that the new shoe sanitizer is here, it is very easy to use and is very effective.

1.0 out of 5 stars The ultraviolet (UV) lamp rays only illuminate the toe box portion, of the shoe., March 25, 2013
The SteriShoe Sanitizer was delivered intact, with no damage.

The SteriShoe lamps turned off after 45 minutes, as advertised.

The instructions, for applying the SteriShoe shoe strap, lacks clarity, and the illustrations does not show a correct application, of the strap, for confirmation.

I could not determine, if I had fitted the strap correctly, based upon the information, and illustrations, in the manual.

The ultraviolet (UV) lamp rays only illuminate the toe box portion, of the shoe; so the mid portion, and heel portions, of the shoe interior, does not receive any of the ultraviolet rays, emitted by the lamp, and therefore no sanitation of those portions, of the shoe occurs.

The entire interior, of the shoe, would be infected, if anyone has athlete's foot, or any of the other microorganisms mentioned, in the product literature, so sanitation of the entire interior, of the shoe, is required.

The product literature, mentions, in fine print, that direct contact with the UV light is required, for eradication, of the microorganisms.

Given that the SteriShoe sanitizer requires compression, to operate, it cannot be repositioned, to operate outside, of the shoe interior, to illuminate the UV rays, upon the heel portion of the shoe interior.

My financial funds were squandered, on this product, with zero ROI.

It is inadvisable, to expend ones limited financial funds, on a product that only disinfects the toe box portion, of the interior of the shoe, when the entire interior requires disinfection.

Caveat emptor.

If one is interested, in a UV shoe sterilizer, that is capable of sterilizing the entire length, of the interior, of the shoe, one should consider the Comyan Ultraviolet (UV) shoe sterilizer, by Kendal, available on Amazon, for half the price, of SteriShoe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, October 12, 2010
This product will take absolutely rank super smelly shoes and make them smell almost close to neutral. I was hesitant to buy it but when I read the good reviews I decided to take a chance. It really does work. I usually zap my shoes 2-3 times for best results. I'm only giving it 4 stars because it doesn't do anything for the heel portion of the shoe, which apparently is a very minor contributor to smell, but it is there. If you buy this, you WILL notice a difference and forget that you paid so much for this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars wmb1691, July 20, 2010
Jessie (MONTICELLO, MN, US) - See all my reviews
So far an excellent product and currently using this item everyday.
This product takes all smells from the shoes. I have no doubt it is
sterilizing the shoes as advertised. My husbands toenails are now showing new growth free from the nail fungus. This item was recommended by my husband's podiatrist. Thank you