5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice quality for the price.
I purchased this strand of pearls as a "little something" for my wife. At the time they were marked down from $95 to $35. I read all the reviews first and decided to purchase the pearls despite some negative opinions.

Published on March 11, 2012 by Sean P. Owens

3.0 out of 5 stars Too short.
I liked the necklace but the length appeared small. It was suppose to be 18 inches but i discovered that it was only 17 inches when I measured it.
Published 22 months ago by M Singleton

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice quality for the price., March 11, 2012

First let me say for $35 I wasn't expecting Tahitian black pearls like my mother paid beau coup bucks for years ago. I figured they might be cheap looking or fall apart at the slightest tug. So far I was wrong. My wife LOVES the necklace! She wears it with jeans and casual tops.. she wears it to work with black slacks and button down blouse. It is a versatile piece of jewelry.

The necklace came in a little velvet pouch for storing while not wearing. Very important to use the pouch too.

I would call the color closer to peacock graphite than black but nonetheless eye-catching. The pearls have a very nice luster. They are all uniform in size AND shape relative to each other. The clasp is stamped with a 925 telling me it's silver and not plate. The string job itself seems to be quality. It's double knotted on silk; that is usually how the higher priced [quality] pearls are strung. I read a couple reviews alluding to the "kinked" appearance their strands had. My strand had a mildly kinked appearance but after a week around my wife's neck it's worked all the "kinks" out. If you purchase this I would expect the same. My wife has some "expensive" jewelery as well as costume pieces. This necklace she can wear everyday and it does NOT look like costume jewelery... but at the same time if anything happens to it.. it wasn't and arm or leg. I think any female would love this set of pearls unless maybe she already owns a Tiffany's worth jewels. Thanks for reading!

SPO

***UPDATE 11/20/2012***
These pearls have held up wonderfully. My wife wears them almost everyday to work. They look great, have "broken in" nicely, and still have their original luster. I would buy them all over again. Well worth the money, hence I am upgrading from 4 to 5 stars.

***UPDATE 1/11/2014***
My wife's pearl strand has held up better than I ever imagined. I occasionally inspect the knots through a Loupe Magnifier - 10x Triplet Folding Loupe Magnifier - High Quality Imported BelOMO Lens (10x21mm with 17mm viewing area) and they look great. Do not worry about some reviewers comments stating the necklace is "kinked" or tight looking because they broke in quickly. My wife still wears this necklace three or four days a week. I think this piece would still be a decent value at around the $50 mark. I mean how many pieces of jewelery can you pay less than $100 for these days that will still make a statement? Thanks again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, October 16, 2011
I was looking for a nice and affordable princess-length black freshwater pearl strand to add some polish to my everyday wardrobe, and this fits the bill perfectly. For potato pearls, these are surprisingly round, even and lustrous. Imperfections - comprising striated surfaces and the occasional dimple - are subtle. Most of the pearls are a dark purple-grey, with the rest having a green tinge, making this necklace a perfect accessory for cool- and neutral-toned outfits. The stringing and clasp are sturdy, and the whole thing is pleasantly weighty.

What it does lack is certification of authenticity and care instructions. This isn't a dealbreaker as it's hardly an investment or heirloom piece, though it would have been a nice touch.

All in all, I must say that compared to my Banana Republic freshwater pearl necklace that cost over twice as much (and didn't come with documents either), this one wins hands down.

In addition, it comes in a small black velvety pouch lying in a flat little dark blue box, making it easy to gift (and I think that any girl would be pleased to receive such a pretty present).

Update (11th Nov 2011): I later bought the 18-inch champagne pearl necklace. The pearls on this one are nice too - quite clean, lustrous and egg-shaped, and strung along the shorter axis to give a rounder appearance. The stringing, knotting and clasp are perfectly decent. However, I would give this necklace only 4 stars if I could (Amazon doesn't allow multiple reviews to be written by the same person for the same listing) because of the dye job, which left brown stains around the drill holes and some flaws in the pearls, and somehow left their surfaces a little rougher to touch than expected. The colour is nowhere as light and fresh as in the picture, being a heavier, duskier gold. Still, it is a pretty colour that goes well with warm- and green-toned outfits, and I am happy with my purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too short., February 7, 2013
M Singleton (Springfield, MA United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for the price, December 3, 2011
I purchased several expensive cultured pearl jewelry items this year while I was in India, and I wanted to purchase a necklace to match a pair of black pearl earrings. This piece is great - looks expensive and the pearls are pretty uniform. They're not perfect but they're prettier than costume jewelry!

3.0 out of 5 stars Black, yes. Peacock, no., September 22, 2013
This necklace is pretty and seems well made. I was disappointed in the color, however. "Peacock" means it should be iridescent; it's not. The pearls are pearly black, but not peacock. Still, since I wear a lot of black and I got it for a very reasonable price, I will keep it. Had I known I probably would have passed on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Pearls, April 26, 2011
These pearls are gorgeous! When they arrived I was so excited - they are exactly what I was after. A little more purple than most black pearls (hence the peacock), but lovely.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beuatiful luster - not round!, February 27, 2014
Lovely color to the pearls but the pearls are not round, or even close to round. They are egg shaped and not uniform in size either, so what you end up getting is a mismatched looking strand. Looking at the other posts I honestly think its the luck of the draw. I am not particularly happy with the product. The discription is misleading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, January 18, 2011
K. Pollock (Findlay, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I ordered these for a gift. I'm glad I got to see them before I gave them away. They were not strung properly and so didn't hang, but laid there with some unsightly bends and kinks. This was too bad, as the pearls were very nice. Thank goodness for Amazon who promptly refunded my money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, June 5, 2013
The pearls we even more beautiful than I could have imagined. They were all very uniform in size and color and the necklace itself seems to be of high quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, December 14, 2011
I ordered this for my wife and she loved it. Very good quality and worth for the money. Order arrived on time. I will recommend this product.

Sterling Silver and A-Quality Freshwater Cultured Pearl Necklace, 16"
$70.00 $35.55 - $108.30