4.0 out of 5 stars Can You Tell That They're Shell?
Published on October 1, 2011 by Hummingbirder

3.0 out of 5 stars Continues to come off post.
Published 13 months ago by Music Junkie

4.0 out of 5 stars Can You Tell That They're Shell?, October 1, 2011
This review is from: Sterling Silver Round White Simulated Shell Pearl Stud Earrings (10-10.5mm ) (Jewelry)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I didn't know what a shell pearl is, so I looked it up on the internet. Oyster or clam shells are carved into the desired shape, polished, and painted. I also looked at some reviews for shell pearl earrings that were already posted on Amazon. Those reviews were quite enlightening. Generally, white shell pearls fare well, but other colors do not. I found reviews for chocolate shell pearls which stated the paint scratched off, and those reviewers were not happy.

When I received these, I examined them with an open mind, and these are my findings. These are not suitable for a gift, unless the recipient knows in advance that they are not truly pearls. I knew that from looking at the presentation box, a plain, thin cardboard box, with the earrings mounted on plain, thin cardboard.

When I took them out of the box and looked at them, I found they do look like cultured pearls. I took a photo of the earrings next to a pendant I bought on Amazon that is made with a cultured pearl, as well as a ring I inherited that was purchased in the 1950s. I do not know what type of pearls are on the ring. I know it is 14K gold, with a silver mounting and diamond chips. None of the pieces look the same, but the shell pearls simply do not look fake. The pair I received are very white with a purple/gray hue. They are definitely a "cool" color pearl, though I would expect variations in different pairs, just as one would with actual pearls. Each oyster or clam is different, so the shell pearls will vary.

The shape is very perfectly round, and I found an infinitesimal blemish on one pearl, under magnification. No one will ever be able to see it. The pearls are quite lustrous. After I learned shell pearls are painted, I held them under several types of light, with and without magnification, and could not tell there is paint at all. The surface looks like pearl, not like paint. The only way I could tell these were not pearls was the teeth test. They're a little too smooth to pass that. Because I did not pay for these pearls, I also tried to scratch them. I didn't take a hammer or saw to them, but rubbed them against other pieces of jewelry as may happen occasionally. No damage.

They are honking big, though. You can tell by looking at the photo. The ring is a size eight, and its pearls are about 3mm each. Now, you will have to decided for yourself whether your social circle will be suspicious about your large and gorgeous earrings. I could not capture the hue of any of the pearls with my camera, I don't think. Please note, you may need to view my images to see the photo.

If you like big ball earrings, or big pearls, you really should try them, provided the price is six lattes or less. I think they would look fine for the office, casual occasions, or for weddings. I mean, no one is going to be able to tell you or your bridesmaids are wearing fakes in the photos, and you can afford the big pearl earrings if they're shell earrings. They could be worn to prom as well.

If big is your desire, I recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a value!, November 17, 2011
Leslie Ann Lewis (San Antonio, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These earrings are absolutely lovely and well worth the asking price of $15. Two things to keep in mind though. First, these are shell pearl, so they are man-made from natural materials. Second, note the SIZE on the size guide since these earrings are actually that big. I don't feel they are overly large and gaudy, but they are certainly larger than the typical pearl stud.

Overall, I found these earrings to be very nice and suitable for many different occasions. I am petite, but did not find them to be so terribly big as to call too much attention to themselves. I have worn them several times and received compliments on them each time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Continues to come off post., January 9, 2014
These fake pearls are great looking. The only reason I am giving these earrings 3 stars is they continue to fall off the post. I am the type that likes to wear my earring 24/7 without worry. However, these are not the type to do this with. If you purchase these you cannot wear them in the shower or to bed. I had fixed them three times before I gave up. My advice, save your money and purchase real pearls.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but a little large and not very glamorous, January 27, 2012
uniq "uniq" (El Dorado Hills, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These earrings are a bit large for a lady with an average sized ears. They also look a bit synthetic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute earrings, April 21, 2012
Cute earrings! I don't usually purchase jewelry online, but i took a chance with this small purchase and it hasn't changed or tarnish as yet..lol So far I'm pleased!

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably priced, February 13, 2012
These earring are a very nice size and a great deal. The metal is a little flexible and the posts have bent a bit, but they're still wearable and worth the price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too short, October 30, 2013
P. Brozon (Poughkeepsie NY) - See all my reviews
EARRING STEMS NOT LONG ENOUGH TO BE COMFORTABLE FOR AN ADULT EAR DISA{PONTING tO SAY THE LEAST. DO NOT LIKE AMAZON EARRINGS FOR THE SAME REASON

2.0 out of 5 stars Cute at first sight, September 24, 2013
Craig Ruggles "Michelle Rugges" (EGG HARBOR TWP, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
They looked good but only lasted for about two weeks. One of the pearls fell off and even after trying to super glue it back on it came right off

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous find!, May 21, 2014
They are definitely on the large side, but that is exactly what I wanted! I am so glad I found these to replace a pair I lost. They are inexpensive, but certainly don't look like it. I also wear them very often and have had no issues whatsoever, which is great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, February 23, 2014
Much better than expected. Thank you!!

Color exactly as shown.
Sturdy design.
Exceptional quality would purchase as a gift, later.