Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: I, Steve: Steve Jobs In His Own Words (In Their Own Words)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 22, 2011
Full disclosure, I know the publisher of this book. I also worked at Apple for nearly a decade, creating marketing for Mac computers, and I can tell you that the quotes in "I, Steve" encapsulate everything I learned while I was there: Paying attention to little details (because they matter). Relentless simplification. Knowing what to say 'no' to. These principles can apply to many aspects of business and reading them in Steve's words are an excellent reminder that we don't have to settle for mediocrity. This is not a biography, nor is it an exploitation of the man's death, as this book has been scheduled for publication for many months now. This book is an essential tool for how to think about the problems you wrestle with at work. Bring a copy to your office. Start off every meeting reading a random quote. See what happens.
88 comments|104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2011
What a fun and interesting book about Steve Jobs, a more breezy counterpoint to the official biography. I, Steve starts with a light biography and highlights "Milestones," a year-by-year look at Apple's (and Jobs's) successes. The real meat of the book is in the quotes from Jobs on every conceivable topic, sort of a Bartlett's Quotations focusing exclusively on this amazing man.

Steve Jobs once said that most overnight successes take a long time. I, Steve feels meticulously researched and well put-together. At once educational and inspiration, I, Steve is perfect for both MacAddicts and anyone looking to exceed.
VINE VOICEon October 28, 2011
Recently, I got the Isaacson book Steve Jobs giving it a four star review. If it had more quotes by Jobs I definitely would have given it five stars.

I, Steve being entirely dedicated to Jobs quotes makes a perfect companion piece for that book and I recommend both. I decided on Kindle because I like to highlight great quotes, and because of its compelling price.

It's about 160 pages as a book which equates to about 300 pages on Kindle with one 1 to 3 long quotes per page. In addition to one or two liners they can run to 8 to 10 lines, with extended quotes from diverse sources such as Time Magazine, Apple promotions, Fast Company, Stanford speech, Playboy, Triumph of the Nerds, the Smithsonian, and many others, which if you're like me you probably have not read before, and won't find on a typical quote search.

Here are some examples:

Quality is more important than quantity. One home run is much better than two doubles. Bloomberg Businessweek, February 6, 2006.

On the location of Apple stores in high end malls: The real estate was a lot more expensive (but people) didn't gamble with 20 minutes of their time. They only had to gamble with 20 footsteps of their time. CNN Money/Fortune, March 8, 2007.

Slogan First Generation iPod: One thousand songs in your pocket. Apple ad, 2001.

Success: Pixar's seen by a lot of folks as an overnight success, but if you really look closely, most overnight successes took a long time.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the sound of other peoples opinions drown out your inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. Commencement address Stanford.

Wisdom. I would trade all my technology for an afternoon with Socrates.

Now is the time. If you're like me and many others you'll discover many quotes already highlighted by many others as you Kindle your curiosity. Some of the quotes highlighted by me were not highlighted by others, and some of the quotes highlighted by others were not highlighted by me, and I think you will discover your own favorites.

I think you will find it fascinating, and I hope this was helpful.
on April 15, 2012
To be fair, this delivers exactly as promised. It's just that the promise isn't all that valuable. This is a very easy read, since it is just a loosely assembled collections of things Steve Jobs has said. It is nice to get it straight from the man's words, instead of folklore and myth. Although much of it is out of context and can still be left to broad misinterpretation.

I would definitely not read this book with the goal of more deeply understand the man who is Steve Jobs. It is perhaps at best an addendum to the true biography. If you have 5 minute windows of spare time, it is an enjoyable way to fill that given that each paragraph stands on its own and doesn't require any continuity of reading time.
on October 22, 2011
There's a certain irony in writing a review of the Kindle edition of "I, Steve" given Jobs' dismissive attitude toward the Kindle and dedicated e-book readers in general, summed up in his famous quote, not contained in this compilation, that "people don't read." Anyone reading "I, Steve" on a Kindle will take some amusement, or possibly some umbrage, at the quotes herein along the lines that dedicated devices "may have a few advantages" but that "general-purpose devices will win the day." He may be right, ultimately, and of course, there will be those readers who will read the book on their iPads, but the irony is still there for a few million Kindle users.

"I, Steve" is a very nice compilation of Jobs quotes gleaned from a variety of public sources. It's a quick read that includes a concise timeline of Jobs' life. Apple enthusiasts may consider it an appetizer for the official Jobs biography, but for many others, like myself, it's a fine distillation of Jobs' philosophy and the timeline is a concise, welcome addition that hits the high points and helps to put Jobs' quotations in context.

As a dramatist myself, I think I would have preferred to read the quotes in the order in which they were delivered, to perhaps get a better sense of Jobs' development over the years. The author and his publisher opted instead to group them by subject, which makes any individual quote easier to reference.

Beahm is obviously a great fan of Jobs and Apple, which gives "I, Steve" the tone of an homage to a great man whose influence has been so widely felt by the public. Apple enthusiasts will find the book very edifying and well worth the modest Kindle price. General readers whose interest has been sparked by Jobs' death will also find it a quick and easy summation of just why this particular man and his contributions are held in such high esteem by several generations of technology users. Hopefully, some technology creators will take Jobs' philosophy to heart, and his contributions will outlive the man who set the standard for the integration of technology with human life.
on May 24, 2013
Overall, I'm a little disappointed with this book. It's a collection of quotes from various sources (fully credited) set off in visual boxes on the pages. Not quite what I was expecting. It looks like it was put together in an afternoon and published as a cash cow. At the suggested retail price of $10.95 it's a rip-off. At $5.00, it would be reasonable and would be a real bargain at $1.00 for a Kindle edition. At the $7.50 price I paid for the paperback (with free Prime shipping), it's ALMOST a bargain and entertaining enough to keep me from returning it.

Would I recommend it at $7.50? Only for a die-hard Steve Jobs fan. For anyone else, put your money towards the Walter Isaacson biography of Steve Jobs, which I previously bought through Amazon, and is a book worth owning.
on November 25, 2011
I purchased this book shortly after Steve Jobs' passing. This book provides a little glimpse of his thought processes on topics in business and in life.
Amazon had this for a great price and, with Amazon Prime Free Shipping, it was even a better deal. It's a nice little book about one of the truly great minds of our time. How lucky we were to have been alive during his tenure.
on March 26, 2013
I, Steve: Steve Jobs in His Own Words edited by George Beahm reveals Steve Jobs' core beliefs about business in a way no other author has been able to achieve... because these insights come directly from Steve Jobs himself. George's book systematically covers a wide range of topics from `Being the Best' to `Risking Failure', from `Passion' to `Values', and `Beyond Recruiting' to `Firing Employees'.

Throughout I, Steve, three predominate themes are revealed:

- the intersection between design and business values as expressed in products
- the importance of people, teamwork, and organizational culture in achieving innovation, and
- the necessity of cutting against conventional wisdom to fulfill what people want before they know they want it.

I like I, Steve because it reveals the intimate thoughts and beliefs of a man who was not only a creative genius but who was also a business giant. Most of Steve Jobs' approaches align well with the principles and philosophies I recommend business leaders adopt to further the success of their organizations. While I recognize that some may disagree with Steve Jobs' approach to certain circumstances - and on occasion I do too, all agree he was one of the great leaders and visionaries who has shape our modern world.

I appreciated the layout of I, Steve, the organization of quotes around meaningful topic areas, the dating of each quote, and Steve Jobs' life story timeline provided at the end of the book. I found that knowing the setting and circumstances of the Steve Jobs' quotes provided insightful context from which to interpret them. As such, I recommend first-time readers review the `Milestones' timeline presented at the end of the book first and refer to it often when reading individual quotes.

For it's intimate portrayal of an American entrepreneurial icon, I, Steve is a StrategyDriven recommended read.

All the Best,
Nathan Ives
StrategyDriven Principal
VINE VOICEon November 6, 2011
This is a good collection of Steve Job's quotes. Quick recap:

* This book will take most less than 60 minutes to read. 160 total pages but this includes a number of pages for citations, sources and a Job's chrono history.

* This book is the equivalent to reading the Reader's Digest. Quick, light, easy, breezy.

* Quotes are are organized by broad range of subjects in alpha order (e.g. Branding, Competition, Death (his own) Inspiration, Integration).

* The quotes are gathered from a wide range of sources from speeches to articles to interviews to media events.

* Because quotes are organized by subject in alpha order, it does come across a bit disjointed as it goes back and forth over time and subject

* You do get a quick pulse of Job's the man and the genius behind his product development and marketing strategy.

* Buy it on Kindle or IPAD. Worth $3.99.

* If you are Apple/Mac product aficionado or not, you will enjoy this.

* A few of my favorite quotes:

CREDO: "The organization is clean and simple to understand, and very accountable. Everything just got simpler. That's been one of my mantras - focus and simplicity. (1998/BusinessWeek)

DENT IN THE UNIVERSE: "Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me...going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful - that's what matters to me. 1993/Fortune)

EMPLOYEE POTENTIAL: "My job is not to be easy on people. My job is to make them better. 2008/CNNMoney)

EXCELLENCE: "People judge you by your performance, so focus on the outcome. Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected. 1987)

MAKING BOLD ANNOUNCEMENTS: "I understand the appeal of a slow burn, but personally, I'm a big-bang guy.
on November 14, 2013
Enjoyed looking into the mind of the man who changed life for all of us. He isn't nearly as eccentric as I had been led to believe. Although I expected the book to be more of a biography, the quotes were sufficient.