5.0 out of 5 stars excellent boots for a grown up goth
Published 17 months ago by john paul

3.0 out of 5 stars Boots
The boots were more loose than expected and the leather is thin. Had to insert after market soles for adequate support. Still debating whether to keep or return.
Published 9 months ago by Iron X

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent boots for a grown up goth, July 5, 2013
in high school I walked around in beat up Corcoran mid calf combat boots, I have never loved footwear so much. tragically as a professional, combat boots are off putting I've come to discover. I refuse to wear trendy sneakers and I hate dress shoes, they ooze pretense from out the tops of them. anyway I bought these to transcend the gap between my need for comfort, style and practicality. I read two reviews, two very polar reviews. I thought jesus, this doesn't help me very much. at any rate I took a gamble because I needed to get out of a pair of well worn gray Aldo's of a similar style id been wearing exclusively for a year and there is nothing else I have found that i'd be caught dead in. I must say it was a good choice and I side with the five-star review. the leather is nice and the boots are super clean while still retaining a sort of grunge i am inclined to retain into my old age. i ordered 10.5 and i usually wear a 10.5 but these are slightly too large. not helpful maybe but i am still thrilled with the purchase and can't wait to stomp on some bugs or some feelings with my new boots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatly pleased with purchase!!!, June 28, 2013
Shipping was really quick and arrived earlier than expected which I was happy about. It was well packaged in the original shoe box with the Steve Madden logo that was in another box from Amazon. I normally buy shoe sizes of 11.5 and 12 but I didn't want to risk having a bigger size since seeing other reviews of boots being a bit bigger than anticipated so I purchased the size 11.5 and it feels amazing walking around in. I also read that a lot of people think these boots have a very strong unpleasent scent but I didn't seem to have that case when purchasing these boots, just a regular non overpowering genuine leather smell as expected. The zipper on the sides run well up and down and makes it easy to slide your feet down into the boot. Something I've noticed that I didn't take careful seeing in the advertised picture is that the tongue flap is attached to the sides of the boots but doesn't take away from the appearance or comfort at all. The brushed worn midsole at the bottom looked better in person and wasn't overdone like the original Troopah's. The insides of the boot were very soft and easy to slide into without anything rubbing against your foot causing discomfort. I am really pleased with these boots and I highly recommend them. I hope this review helps others deciding which boots to buy and those who bought them already can agree!

3.0 out of 5 stars Boots, March 3, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice boots, February 21, 2014
The boots look just like on the pictures and the buildquality of the boots is very good. They are somewhat large but they still fit me. I can certainly recommend them!

2.0 out of 5 stars Smaller than expected, January 27, 2014
After I reviewed all comments, I decided to purchase one size smaller ,but it's a WRONG decision. you should just buy the right size you normally wear.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, one MAJOR flaw...., December 4, 2013
This review is from: Steve Madden Men's Troopah Lace-Up Boot (Apparel)
The tongue on these boots are paper thin... They would be perfect if it wasn't for that.... Gonna have to buy boots elsewhere...

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Boots!, October 9, 2013
These boots are great. Only had em a week but gotten tons of compliments and worn them a lot.
Order a size smaller than usual though because they run big. They aren't as tight as Id like them to be and they are too long in the toe.
Other than that, awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable; stylish, October 2, 2013
The fit is perfect and the price very competitive with other suppliers. Highly satisfied with quality and fit. Would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer boots!, August 2, 2013
Fantastic pair of boots -- they're stylish, comfortable, exactly as advertised. Thinking about grabbing another pair in a different color!

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Boots - Even for a Southern Boy, July 30, 2014
Let me start this by saying that I live in south Georgia. You're only going to find 2 kinds of boots living down here: construction boots and cowboy boots. I do not fit into either of those categories. The boots I've been able to find that somewhat fit my style have either been fake leather or have fallen apart just by looking at them wrong.

These boots are perfect. They have the slim, non-bulky, minimalist look I prefer. I don't want my feet to feel like they're encased in concrete. These are light, comfortable, and dont' get hot in the georgia summer heat. These are actually my second pair of Steve Madden boots. The first pair, the Trackker, are still going strong after almost continually wearing them 5+ days a week.

As for size, I go with a half size below my normal shoe size (from a 12 to an 11.5). This also allows the leather on the boots more room to expand as time goes on. The insole doesn't bother me too much, but i have flat feet. If you don't have flat feet, I would suggest buying some insoles for comfort. I'm perfectly comfortable, however.

A lot of people have complained about the fact that they aren't put together very well or they wear out after wearing them. Well, to be fair, all shoes do this. The key to longevity and keeping your boots looking like new is a decent boot shop. I get my boots polished once every few months, get separating edges glued back together, or get new heels put on, if needed. If you don't take care of your boots, they won't last. The upkeep is very minimal and a good local boot repair shop won't charge you much for a shine and repair. It's better than buying a whole new pair of boots. That's why you're buying real leather and not some faux leather that'll wear out in a week and a half.

All in all, these boots are fantastic. I won't be buying a different brand of boot until I've given a reason otherwise. They're high quality and they look great. I'm still getting compliments!

Steve Madden Men's Troopah Lace-Up Boot