Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Steve Madden Men's Troopah Lace-Up Boot
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on July 5, 2013
in high school I walked around in beat up Corcoran mid calf combat boots, I have never loved footwear so much. tragically as a professional, combat boots are off putting I've come to discover. I refuse to wear trendy sneakers and I hate dress shoes, they ooze pretense from out the tops of them. anyway I bought these to transcend the gap between my need for comfort, style and practicality. I read two reviews, two very polar reviews. I thought jesus, this doesn't help me very much. at any rate I took a gamble because I needed to get out of a pair of well worn gray Aldo's of a similar style id been wearing exclusively for a year and there is nothing else I have found that i'd be caught dead in. I must say it was a good choice and I side with the five-star review. the leather is nice and the boots are super clean while still retaining a sort of grunge i am inclined to retain into my old age. i ordered 10.5 and i usually wear a 10.5 but these are slightly too large. not helpful maybe but i am still thrilled with the purchase and can't wait to stomp on some bugs or some feelings with my new boots.
on June 28, 2013
Shipping was really quick and arrived earlier than expected which I was happy about. It was well packaged in the original shoe box with the Steve Madden logo that was in another box from Amazon. I normally buy shoe sizes of 11.5 and 12 but I didn't want to risk having a bigger size since seeing other reviews of boots being a bit bigger than anticipated so I purchased the size 11.5 and it feels amazing walking around in. I also read that a lot of people think these boots have a very strong unpleasent scent but I didn't seem to have that case when purchasing these boots, just a regular non overpowering genuine leather smell as expected. The zipper on the sides run well up and down and makes it easy to slide your feet down into the boot. Something I've noticed that I didn't take careful seeing in the advertised picture is that the tongue flap is attached to the sides of the boots but doesn't take away from the appearance or comfort at all. The brushed worn midsole at the bottom looked better in person and wasn't overdone like the original Troopah's. The insides of the boot were very soft and easy to slide into without anything rubbing against your foot causing discomfort. I am really pleased with these boots and I highly recommend them. I hope this review helps others deciding which boots to buy and those who bought them already can agree!
on December 26, 2014
When buying boots, I used to go for exotic leather, hand crafted blah, blah... and spent $800 and up. I got what I paid for. Now I opt for more trendy, less expensive boots because I don't have any expectation that I will wear them more than a few seasons, and don't need them to survive weather. In other words, I don't need boots that are work boots, and I don't live on the horse ranch any longer. My boots are dressy hight top shoes, really.

These boots are cool. My wife loves them, I enjoy them and they are comfortable, fit well, and look good. The leather is thin compared to high dollar boots, but that is part of why they are comfortable right out of the box. For the price paid, these are great boots.

PS I ordered a similar pair (ladies style) for my wife, but I ordered the wrong size. Thankfully Amazon makes it painless to return them.
on August 18, 2015
These boots hold up fairly well and the clean and polish up great. The fit seems decent but I have noticed they rub slightly odd on the tops of my foot. On my drive home I find I loosen the boots up because of this. The other complaint I have is there is a little metal piece in the arch underneath the insole. The insole is the only thing keeping this in place and the insole does not hold up at all. So on both pairs (brown and black) that I have of these I've had to replace the insoles and have lost the metal arch support.
on January 15, 2014
So I really enjoy this boot, I really do. HOWEVER, they are extremely narrow. I do not by any means have wide or thick feet but it is a squeeze in to these boots. The length fits as expected and normal, it's just the width. I'm hoping that after breaking these in (this process will continue after my blisters have disappeared) they fit a little more comfortably.

The other problem I had that the FIRST time I wore these boots, there were already worn marks after the first few steps where the dark brown color was faded, the dye they used must suck. I don't mind the slightly used look but I was a little annoyed that on the first wear they were already looking so worn.

I do enjoy the look and coloring of the boot (minus the worn fading) and the part of the boot above your ankle isn't uncomfortable which is usually pretty hit or miss with any sort of high top shoe or boot.
VINE VOICEon December 6, 2013
Firstly, I wear a size 13 in tennis shoes (Nike, New Balance etc.) with about .5-.75 inch space between big toe and the end of the shoe. In Dress Shoes and boots, normally, I wear a 12.

For these Troopah2 boots I wear a size 12. ***Size down from your normal tennis shoe size***

As for the quality, it is borderlining on cheap (think stand alone warehouse stores) and low entry department store (the ones in the mall) quality.

Here are the parts that are of low quality:

1. Sole. This is a very bad excuse for something to be between your feet and the ground. It has a 'simulated' grain/weathered look and is made out of very soft rubber. It makes the boot very comfortable when first wearing with no break-in period however, it provides absolutely no grip and looks to quickly deteriorate with time. Very very cheap part of the shoe. **In the pictures on the side of the shoe the soles look like wood/cork/leather. They are not. The entire sole is rubber--the cheapest kind I have every experienced.**

2. Leather. Can it be called leather if it almost does not exist because it is nanometers thick? Well it might not be nanometers, however it is extremely thin. They scratch very easily and will not do well to stand up to wear especially outdoors. Again because of the thinness of the material, it makes for a comfortable boot because there is no resistance from the material however be cautious about making these your daily boots.

3. Smell. It has a strong stench however this does not bother me as much because with new shoes there is usually some type of odor that is emitted. The Troophay 2 is one of the more unpleasant ones however. It brings forth a plastic chemical-like smell that can be scented when sitting down fairly easily.

4. Puts off a light shine that mimics more of a plastic shine rather than a good leather glow.

Good points of the shoe:

1. Comfort. As mentioned above these need no break-in and immediately feel like worn in shoes. Outside they travel like house slippers.

2. Look. Would not have purchased if I did not like the look and they look as pictured with the exception that the ankle is much more wrinkled than in the picture (because of the thin leather). They give a classic/rustic look with jeans. A good way to wear them is to bunch up, or roll up, jeans near the top part of the book so that the entire ankle portion shows.

********************

This is a functional boot solely for looks. Do not expect good quality as related by the price you pay. Will be hard, however, to find a similar stylish boot when you get to what this boot is probably worth.
on July 24, 2015
I love these boots and will probably buy them in another color, though they aren't as durable for what your paying for them. They looked pretty beat up after one month and Im not a person to go rough on clothing/shoes
on December 8, 2013
I'm that guy who saw these on sale around Black Friday, and thought "Those look like my old Corcoran jumper boots!" I very well knew they were more of a fashion boot than a utilitarian one, and had it not been for the price drop, I wouldn't have given them a second thought. In the week that I've had them, I have no big complaints... I don't expect to use these as every day walkers, and I don't think I'd take them out in inclement weather, but they're good for parties, or around the house.

The only small complaint I had was the size zipper. I'd laced these like I laced my real boots, and then tried to take one of the shoes off by unzipping and slipping out the side - and the interior leather (which, admittedly, has the consistency of cardboard) tore. It's not a big deal, I zipped it back up, and I'll just lace & de-lace like normal boots.
on January 26, 2014
I asked my wife to watch me unbox the shoes because of some of the comments about there being a bad smell. My wife has a sensitive nose. There was absolutely no unusual or horrible smells. The shoes were packaged well and shipped quickly.

I love the quality. Sure, I would've preferred a true uber hard leather sole that was weathered but this man-made soul and its artificial weathering looks good and is very durable. The quality of the leather is good too and a good value. Sure, I've had better but also at a much higher cost.
on July 21, 2014
The boots arrived and looked great as the pictures depicted, but, I was not prepared for how thin the material was. I sent them back, could not imagine them lasting through the abuse that I put my clothes through very long. May be ok for the city dweller or man with more shoes than the, average man. Actually now that I think about it, they were a little tight too, narrow at the toes.