5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE these Boots!
Published on January 23, 2011 by Kathryn Martens

3.0 out of 5 stars cute but squeaky
Published on September 15, 2010 by Shoe Gal

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE these Boots!, January 23, 2011
This review is from: Steve Madden Women's Candence Boot (Apparel)
I absolutely adore these boots! I was a little worried after reading about a squeak problem, the quality of leather and the narrow toe portion, but I decided to go ahead and order them anyways, as I have been searching for some tall black boots for a while without any success (either they were too narrow, or several hundred dollars). I got these on the mail yesterday and they are fantastic. The leather feels wonderful and I did not have any scuff marks or anything on my boots. There is no squeak-age problem and they were comfortable right from the start (essential for me when I am looking at buying boots). I would definitely recommend these, as they are light enough that they should take me through the winter and into the spring easily. Oh and the width was no a problem at all, that being said I did go up to a 9.5 when I usually wear a 9 in shoes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great style, mediocre leather. Good deal for the $, January 19, 2011
This review is from: Steve Madden Women's Candence Boot (Apparel)
I just received these boots in Cognac today and love them. Here are a couple thoughts to anyone who is considering buying a pair.

Size - I usually wear a 7.5 to 8 and ordered these boots in size 8 so I could wear medium thick socks with them. The sizing is right on.

Shape - Super cute slouch shaft that comes up to about two inches below my knee (I'm 5'3"). The wrinkles are just right - not too cramped into one spot like some of the leather slouch boots I've seen. My pair is very true to the photographs. The sole kind of has a cowboy boot feel to it, as it isn't a short wedge like a lot of Steve Madden low heel boots. I guess you could fold the top of the shaft over for that Peter Pan look, but these boots look great with the fold up, so I probably won't be folding the top down.

Leather - The leather is my only complaint, but not enough that I thought I should take a star off my review. My pair came with some minuscule dark marks on the leather that almost look like paint splatters. Let me emphasize minuscule, though. I can only see them when I take the boots off and closely examine the leather. Also, there's one spot on the shaft where the leather is already scuffed, probably due to packaging. The slouch shape easily hides the scuff, but I'm a little worried about future scuffing on the toes and heel. The leather itself isn't amazing quality, but I didn't expect it to be. If I wanted something like that I would have saved for a pair of $400 FRYE or similar brand boots.

Ultimately, I think that for under a hundred bucks, this pair of boots are a great deal. They're real, beautiful colored leather with a nice shape. If you're looking for something that will last fifteen years without much scuffing, this isn't the pair of boots for you, but you're not paying $400+ either.

I hope this review helps!

3.0 out of 5 stars cute but squeaky, September 15, 2010
This review is from: Steve Madden Women's Candence Boot (Apparel)
I bought both the cognac and black in these boots because they look so cute. I wanted flat slouchy leather boots that were not suede (which were surprisingly hard to find). While I love the colors and the look of the boot, the leather quality is not so good. It actually squeaks when the shaft moves or rubs on itself. Also, these suckers run small. I'm usually a 9, and I always get steve madden boots in a 9.5 so there's room for socks (I wear athletic socks with all my boots). I got these in a 9.5 and my toes were a bit squished, they were fine without the socks.

The shaft of the boots are a good size. They fit well with leggings or bare skin. I haven't tried them with skinny jeans yet, but it seems like there will be no problem.

They were too cute to not wear and I was too impatient to wait and exchange them for a larger size, so I'm hoping they'll break in and fit better as well as lose the squeak. So because of the size and the squeak, I had to knock off two stars.

Update: To clarify, the brown boots are squeaky. I finally broke out the black boots and they make crunchy noises when the leather has to move when you bend your ankle. It's just odd that these are the only two pairs of boots I have that make noise. I just wish Steve Madden made these with higher quality leather and materials in the shaft. I've been wearing the brown ones for a few weeks now, and I'm still hoping and waiting for the squeak to go away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Boot, November 14, 2010
I really like the color of this boot and I LOVE that it's all leather, but after reading the previous reviews I was made to think that this boot ran small. Well I don't know how others measure their feet, but I am consistently a 7 to 7 and a half. I ordered the 7 and a half and got nervous because I actually thought it would be too small. Nope- it's actually a half size too big. I should have ordered the 7, but I didn't feel like paying the shipping to send it back. I like the way the boot looks, but I've learned my lesson to trust my own judgment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pair of casual boots!, January 23, 2011
This review is from: Steve Madden Women's Candence Boot (Apparel)
I was looking for a pair of easy to slip on boots that had a low heel and were durable. These boots felt great because of the soft leather and fit like a glove when I put them on for the first time. I would recommend these if you usually rock a casual look, but still want to look down and go, "awww these boots are so cute!" :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, October 14, 2010
These fit true to size, they don't pinch in the toes, and the heel is quite steady. The boots are wide enough for me to put my jeans inside but they also look great with skirts and dresses. They're also easy to put on and take off, even without a zipper.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't purchase, December 14, 2011
The leather quality was terrible. There were deep groves on the top of the boot and dark spots all over the boots. We even tried these boots at a local retailer and they were the same. Terrible at any price. Buyer beware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best flat boots for short girls!, December 5, 2012
This review is from: Steve Madden Women's Candence Boot (Apparel)
I'm 5'0" and struggle every year to find a pair of boots that doesn't make me look short, squat, or appear to be wearing rain boots. These are easily the best pair of flat boots I've ever owned. They hit at the ideal part of the calf and are fitted, the gathering is much more subtle than in the pictures online so they don't make your leg look wider. I've worn them them almost daily for a few months now -they go well with dresses, leggings, and skirts, and are still in incredible condition. I plan on buying them in every color, and maybe an extra pair in case these ever die. That is how much I love these boots. I've also never noticed them squeaking.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bummed : (, September 30, 2013
One of the insoles was unglued and the boots looked a little more distressed than they should have ( I brought them to the Steve Madden Store to match them up ) shoe fit smaller than the same ones I tried on at the store : ( pretty bummed since I needed these boots for fall/winter. Hate it when you expect something and get something else. I would have bought them in the store but all they had were black and I rathered the cognac.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boot!, May 6, 2013
I love this pair of boots! Great boot! Great fit, great product, would recommend to everyone. Should have ordered in every color.

ARRAY(0x9af220b4)