5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Great Love Stories
Published on October 29, 2007 by Osprey

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I have followed the Irwin family news and updates since I first sat next to Steve on a plane in 1997. At one point during our flight, Steve and my son were chatting and when my son fell asleep, Steve graciously allowed him to put his feet on his lap. From that point on, I was a Steve fan. He had told us about Terri being pregnant and he glowed. It was clear to us that...
Published on February 23, 2008 by C. Bedell

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Great Love Stories, October 29, 2007
Osprey (New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steve and Me: Life with the Crocodile Hunter (Hardcover)
This book is full of the REAL inside story of Steve Irwin, the man who has probably done more for wildlife than anyone, and it's jam-packed with stories of strange and wonderful animals, but the real surprise is the love story that is at the heart of it. I thought I knew everything about the Crocodile Hunter, but his wife Terri Irwin opens a window on his private life. Just as unbelievable as his exploits in the animal kingdom was the fact that he and Terri found each other. It was truly destiny. She was the one woman perfect for him, and he was the one man perfect for her. I wept real tears all over again for his death, but this book is as much a tribute to his life and his loves than a mourning of his loss. Incredible, easy-to-read and unforgettable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A poignant love story ... but I wanted to know more, November 4, 2007
This review is from: Steve and Me: Life with the Crocodile Hunter (Hardcover)
As another person here commented, those who know the Steve and Terri Irwin story will already be familiar with events about which Mrs. Irwin writes in her book. However, she provides a few more details of the back stories to these events and about which fans would otherwise not have known. This book is an easy, well-written read -- but as with all things "Steve Irwin" -- who was bigger than life itself -- I wanted to know more about how he got so many things "so right" about his life. Thus, I had hoped to find even more information about him in Mrs. Irwin's book.

What life events shaped Steve Irwin and which caused him to become such a perfect human being -- allowing him to achieve those most basics of things in life that many of us can only dream about? He realized his life's passion and focus; he became so successful in promoting wildlife and conservation; he impacted the world with his many gifts; he loved and was genuinally loved by his parents and sisters; he chose a perfect wife for himself and who shared his love and his passions while she herself realized her own special gifts; he became a parent to two extraordinarily healthy, balanced, confident, happy and -- likely because of what we have already seen -- genuinely gifted and talented children; he surrounded himself with real friends -- and he demonstrated himself as a well-loved and respected leader of people and as a well-regarded employer. The list of Steve Irwin's life's achievements could go on forever -- but his core attraction -- that which endeared him to fans the world over -- was that he did everything with enormous joy, enthusiasm, focus, intent, belief, humor, and authenticity. Steve Irwin was simply an incredible story -- yet amazingly, just by being himself -- he also became a super-hero intent on saving our world and showing us how -- in a world so indifferent to destroying itself.

Fans will genuinely enjoy the love story about which Mrs. Irwin writes. Her book does provide yet other clues about who Steve Irwin really was. And for that, I recommend anyone to read this book. Frankly, the Irwin Family are an inspiration for what it means to be well-connected to our souls and what can be accomplished in our lives when the fundamentals of having genuine family and friends around you are fulfilled. I believe Steve Irwin also showed us that our connection to animals and our planet Earth -- is far more important to our present and future lives -- than many of us yet realize.

Perhaps a desire for privacy kept Mrs. Irwin's writing from becoming too revealing of this man she knew so well. Perhaps fans need to wait for another author to write about Steve Irwin, who while respecting the Irwin legacy and his family's needs, can yet objectively put forward even more information about this man that we all seem to need to know more about. I hope so. Steve Irwin reached through our television screens and compelled us -- not by order -- but by instilling in us a genuine desire -- to protect wildlife. If only other "Steve Irwins" could be duplicated in all walks of life, in many professions, as father-figure in many families -- wouldn't our world be a fabulous place to be? Who wouldn't want to wake-up each day to a life of pure adventure, joy and laughter?

Thanks for taking us along for the ride, Steve. We still deeply miss you, mate. And, Mrs. Irwin? Thank you -- for sharing your precious memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching and charming, November 2, 2007
This review is from: Steve and Me: Life with the Crocodile Hunter (Hardcover)
A lovely and well written book that is an easy read. I enjoyed it a great deal. They are a wonderful family that has given so much. Recommend the book highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, November 2, 2007
This review is from: Steve and Me: Life with the Crocodile Hunter (Hardcover)
I purchased this book as soon as it became avialable and I read it in one day- I couldnt put it down! At times it made me laugh and at other times it made me cry. I think Terri Irwin is a very strong woman to be able to write this beautiful book for her children. She is an inspiration to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anyone With a Dream, January 9, 2008
Eric Wilson "author" (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Steve and Me: Life with the Crocodile Hunter (Hardcover)
I'm sure most fans of Steve Irwin felt connected to him on a personal level. That was one of his true gifts in front of a camera, and he had my family hooked with his enthusiasm and knowledge the first time we watched a Croc Hunter episode.

My connections also go back to my childhood in Oregon. I went to school with Terri Irwin. She was two years ahead of me at Eugene Christian School. A tomboy who was also pretty, she caught the eye of many boys, and I was surprised when I realized that was her on the TV show. She had really married the Croc Hunter himself. On the other hand, it seemed like a match made in heaven, knowing of her wildlife interests in Oregon.

"Steve and Me" is a detailed love story, as well as a modern tale of tragedy and triumph that should be enjoyed by all who enjoy life, realistic romance, animals, and mankind. Terri, in her own words, gives wonderful glimpses into the man we all saw on the TV screen. She shows him with his faults and struggles, but gives him honor on every page as she reveals his true heart for the world around him. In the conclusion, she is respectful yet candid about her dealings with her husband's passing, focusing instead on the wonder of his life.

My wife and I got this book for Christmas. We read a few chapters aloud a night, laughing a lot and shedding a tear or two. There are numerous stories full of humor and danger and factual knowledge. This is a fantastic collection and memoir, a great ode to one of the world's most renowned "wildlife warriors," and an encouragement to every married couple, every son and daughter, anyone with a dream to change the world around them.

5.0 out of 5 stars steve and me, November 3, 2007
This review is from: Steve and Me: Life with the Crocodile Hunter (Hardcover)
I LOVED this book by Terri Irwin! I loved reading it and riding the wave of excitement that she had meeting and falling in love with such an outstanding, incredible and loving man. What a perfect partnership! I think that Terri and the kids deserve some privacy and want to keep some details for them and them alone. I have been an fan for years and feel as if a relative/friend of mine had died when we lost Steve. I wish I could find a soulmate just like like him. Lucky Terri!

5.0 out of 5 stars great look at a great man, November 4, 2007
This review is from: Steve and Me: Life with the Crocodile Hunter (Hardcover)
This book gives us a look at the man behind the legend. He was larger than life and will be missed by all. Terri's account of how they met and when they dated, was great.

Thank you, Terri!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful glimpse into the life of Steve and Terri Irwin, November 12, 2007
This review is from: Steve and Me: Life with the Crocodile Hunter (Hardcover)
I have been a fan of the crocodile hunter Steve Irwin for only a few short years. I discovered him on cable's Discovery Channel. I found his exhuberant personality infectious and his Australian accent endearing. What I really loved was his commitment to conservation. Steve's personality may have been a bit annoying at times but I always felt that his love for wildlife and especially crocodiles was sincere right up until his tragic death.

I recently found out about Terri Irwin's book STEVE & ME on television a few weeks ago and I picked up a copy. I voraciously devoured the book in no time. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about how Terri and Steve met, their separate backgrounds, and their life together as a couple and eventually as a family with Bindi and Robert. I personally thought that Terri gave out a good amount of personal information on Steve and her personal lives. I get the impression that some reviewers wanted every gory detail of their personal lives. I think the Irwin family is entitled to keep some of their personal life personal. Even after a year, maybe Terri isn't ready to share her more personal photos of her life with Steven hence the selection of photos. And if there were dark moments during their marriage, I think that should be between the Irwin family unless they want that to be known to the public. I don't think it is anyone's business.

While a lot of the stuff I read in Terri's book I already knew from watching her and Steve on tv, I still found a plethora of information I didn't know about the couple and their personal lives before and after they met. I really enjoyed reading about Steve's relationship with his children Bindi and Robert, not to mention his relationship with Terri. I found Terri's book quite emotionally moving through out the book. There were a few times when I found myself choked up. What a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspiring, Uplifting Treasure Detailing the Life and Motivation of One of the Greatest Teachers of our Time, Steve Irwin, November 7, 2007
Julie A. Worley (Cumberland City, TN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steve and Me: Life with the Crocodile Hunter (Hardcover)
Thank You Terri for writing this treasure of a book! As your reader I am honored and privileged to share in your and Steve's remarkable life journeys as you take your readers along on your adventures, passion and commitment to each other, your family and all of humanity by focusing on the Light of God's splendor in nature and all living creatures.

My three children have grown up watching you and Steve share your knowledge and love of animals through your shows, "The Crocodile Hunter" and "Croc Files" on Animal Planet. You and Steve have inspired people all over the world, our children and generations to come, to protect and appreciate even what were once the most feared predators on earth because of your genuine ability to ignite within us the fire of desire to know and preserve more of the world around us.

Thank you for sharing so many intimate details of your private lives that ordinary people can relate to from your whrilwind romance, the births of your children, how you've worked together to overcome adverstiy, surviving tragedy and living to the purpose of your lives to improve our world through bringing global awareness of the importance of conservation of our environment and all living creatures. It is always evident that you and Steve are motivated by love.

You and Steve and your family and mates are real, everyday people teaching by example that "The Power of Love Can Change The World." You are true heroes.

People all over the world share in the sadness of the physical loss of Steve Irwin AKA "The Crocodile Hunter", one of the Greatest Teachers of Our Time. Through your writing of "Steve & Me" you are helping to heal a grieving humanity while keeping your focus on Steve's Life Mission - Conservation.

Many Continued Blessings, Peace Be With You Always!

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT READ FOR BOTH FANS & THE CURIOUS, November 11, 2007
This review is from: Steve and Me: Life with the Crocodile Hunter (Hardcover)
I read this book in just under three evenings after work at night. I just couldn't put it down.

Both fans and those that want to know more about Steve Irwin through the "eyes" of his beloved wife Terri, will cherish this book. Those that are curious about the "Crocodile Hunter" will receive a quick understanding of the man larger than life, and also become aware of the efforts he and Terri made and those that are needed to preserve our wildlife.

My family has been fans for years and have just about every episode of just about everything from "Croc Files", to "Crocodile Hunter" to their MGM movie of 2002 to the "Jungle Girl" on tape or DVD. Read just about everything else too.

This was an amazing read, from a strong, courageous woman, battling her way through her life's devestation of losing her soulmate. Their very private moments or conversations are still too raw, but STILL they are their private moments, and are up to Terri to share with the world or not. I am thankful for the few that she did choose to share with the world.

I truly was immersed and enjoyed several moments of Steve's life that I didn't know otherwise, that Terri brought to light regarding Steve's internal thought process.

What an amazing warrior he was and an amazing woman Terri Irwin is today!!!

MaryB

Steve and Me: Life with the Crocodile Hunter
Steve and Me: Life with the Crocodile Hunter by Terri Irwin (Hardcover - October 30, 2007)
Used & New from: $0.01