5.0 out of 5 stars This man should be considered a national treasure!
And this CD proves it. When I bought it I was skeptical that it would have a lot of filler as most unreleased cuts really don't get releases for good reason and then i saw the words "writing demo" and "demo" and my skepticism only grew. Notwithstanding I bought it and it blew me away!!!
Although I am a HUGE Journey fan (when Steve Perry was in...
Published on January 31, 2004 by guillermoj

2.0 out of 5 stars One voice
Steve Perry is one of the best rock-voices ever. With or without Journey makes no difference,because in both cases it's still his voice that makes the difference!!
Published on September 25, 2000 by mrellermeyer

5.0 out of 5 stars This man should be considered a national treasure!, January 31, 2004
guillermoj (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steve Perry - Greatest Hits + Five Unreleased (Audio CD)
Although I am a HUGE Journey fan (when Steve Perry was in it), I was only aware of Steve's "Street Talk" album and the hits that came from it. What a discovery as every song is perfect so if you are a fan don't doubt buying this CD. If you are not a fan, you must be nuts :-) Seriously, this is a great collection and the ony song that I could have done without, "If You Need Me, Call Me", has great sentimental value for Steve and I won't spoil why. Rarely have I enjoyed a greatest hits collection as much as I have enjoyed this one! If more releases were of this magnitude, with better pricing and marketing, the music industry would not be in the funk that it is in.

5.0 out of 5 stars May the Voice continue..., May 26, 2004
This review is from: Steve Perry - Greatest Hits + Five Unreleased (Audio CD)
Steve Perry has one of the most distinct voices in all of popular music. The man is a true living legend and this compilation prooves it.
First of all not too many artists can release two solo albums and then release a greatest hits album and get away with it....all except for Steve Perry!! In addition to the hits from the Street Talk and For The Love of Strange Medicine albums, there are several previously unreleased songs from what was supposed to be his second solo album--Against The Wall. Due to problems with the label none of those tracks were able to be previously released--The cuts of which are superb. The production on this album is flawess as well.
The melodies seem to flow effortlessly and Perry's voice is as powerful and as melodic as ever.
I think it's also important to point out that none of Perry's solo work sounds like his work with Journey. His songs are much more melodic, much more romantic in nature--and as he once put it "more gutsy!"
Also included on this compilation is the Alien Project Demo that got Steve Perry his postion in Journey--"If You Need Me, Call Me," which was a sentimental inclsion for Steve. A fun track, it also helps eptamize the direction that Steve Perry was going to take Journey. Listen to that song and then play Journey's Infinity album right afterwards and you'll see what I mean.
This is a great album by one of the greatest artists of our time. STEVE PERRY WE LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU!!! Buy this album--you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great mix of old & new stuff, October 6, 1999
Susan Tomlin (Riverside, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steve Perry - Greatest Hits + Five Unreleased (Audio CD)
I've always loved JOURNEY, but hadn't gotten that deep into Steve's solo stuff. This album is great because you get the familiar songs like "Oh Sherrie" and "Foolish Heart" as well as songs that I hadn't heard previously. I'm convinced that the hand of God fell on Steve Perry when that voice was created. There is absolutely nobody else out there with his range - his singing raises the hair on my arms. I have worn out this CD, and have some new favorite songs, particularly "Go Away", "Melody" (wish that was my name!) "You Better Wait" and "If You Need Me, Call Me". This last song has so much of the same qualities that Steve Perry brought to Journey as their lead singer. I like this CD because on it Steve experiments with a variety of styles that display his formidable talent to its best advantage. I'd give my right arm to see Steve play a small venue in L.A., and hope that eventually I'll get that opportunity. PERRYHEAD forever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweeter the Second Time, November 29, 2000
This review is from: Steve Perry - Greatest Hits + Five Unreleased (Audio CD)
Journey? That was for my older sister, who was in LOVE with Steve Perry, back in the day of velvet posters and Pat Benatar. I got into it, not quite as much (and I wonder why now..)but hey, back then I was fourteen, listening to Billy Squier and wondering if he wore three socks instead of two(If you were around and aware, you'll know what I'm talking about.) But I liked Steve Perry, with or without his monolithic Journey.(They say everyone is replacable, but whoever said that never heard this man.) Anyway, to jump into the present,age, 31 and 3 quarters, I finally broke down (literally) and bought a new car this past summer, and to my chagrin, no tape player. A CD player? What's that? What's a girl to do? So, I threw up my hands and embraced the technology. The first CD I bought EVER was this one. And I have never regretted it. Steve Perry's glorious voice over my spanking new CD player. (What's a tape player?)The first time I listened to it, I was thinking, "17 tracks of Oh, Sherrie" but I was wrong, it was so much more than that. I can't stress that enough.I kept hitting my "previous track" button when I heard "When you're in love", and "Summer of Luv". (ya ya ya, I'd luv a cup of coffee) And "What Was" damn near broke my heart listening to it. Due to owning this CD, I now have added more of Steve Perry's music to my collection. I'm going to run out of music to buy soon, so Steve needs to make some more. This man has such a gift. Listen to the little voice inside of yourself and just hit "One-Click." Buy yourself a present.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Body of Work from the Master of Pop-Rock, October 12, 2005
David Schilter (Eastwood, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steve Perry - Greatest Hits + Five Unreleased (Audio CD)
I purchased this album after exhausting Journey's CD repetoire - and was I blown away! There is a reason why Journey were the best pop-rock band of the 80's and there is no doubt it may be attributed to the overwhelming contribution of Steve Perry.

In short, the 17 tracks on this disc are all gems - above all showcasing Perry's powerful, at times husky, vocals. The popular classics "Oh Sherrie" and "Foolish Heart" may get a casual fan's attention - but nestled within this playlist of hits are somewhat progressive tunes such as "Forever Right or Wrong" and one of the 5 previously unreleased tracks "Once in a Lifetime Girl" - these are great from a creative standpoint. Special mention must be given to the irresistable, ambient ballad "I Stand Alone", which appears on the "Quest for Camelot" soundtrack. If this song does not convince you of Perry's genius - then you're damn hard to please.

These songs mentioned are representative of this CD - indeed each song is utterly brilliant!!

It must be stated that Perry sings wonderfully - and even in the presence of a large band (including string sections) he is never overpowered - not once! Such is this mans command of the vocal art.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful voice!, January 25, 2005
Manny "Guitar Man" (TUCSON, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steve Perry - Greatest Hits + Five Unreleased (Audio CD)
Steve has the kind of voice that just goes through you. In listening to this, it brought back memories and made me excited about music again. I really wish he would do more music and bring some creativity and melody to modern music, we're ready!

I read somewhere that at least one of the members of Journey said that "There was a 'Journey' before Steve Perry and there is one after him." News flash! Nobody cares about 'Journey' without Steve Perry!

Ok, anybody reading this who likes the 'real' Journey (w/Steve Perry) or Steve's popular solo stuff... stop what you are doing and get this CD. You will be depriving yourself if you don't!

5.0 out of 5 stars Journey's 1st & most precious steve, January 3, 2003
This review is from: Steve Perry - Greatest Hits + Five Unreleased (Audio CD)
Wow, every time this magical man opens his mouth to sing it's truly stunning. He captures the meaning of life in each word. You live the moment with him, you feel him embrace this music completely with his entire soul! Every ballad your just right there with him , living out the moment as it were your own.Jonathan cain of the steve perry journey once said that steve perry could right a ballad in his sleep ,because he gives you his soul at each performance! Steve's vocals blend with his gifted writing abilities through a dream state of love ,or pain in your broken heart, or thundering storm , he just feels like no other could ever. I've had the pleasure of seeing him live more than once, truly , truly, WONDERFUL! The best male pop rock performer you could ever hope to find . Enjoy this as much as I do which is hard ,but promise you will not ever be dissapointed with his performance.Thanks steve for the numerous memories,....why can't this night go on forever who says it can't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steve Perry A Damn Good Singer, December 15, 2003
Dennis Casto (Auburn,Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steve Perry - Greatest Hits + Five Unreleased (Audio CD)
What can i say steve perry is the voice of pop rock.This cd proves it.I bought this greatest hits cd about 2 weeks ago.Well i havent stopped listening to it.It is hands down my favorite cd now.I always enjoyed Steves voice in Journey and solo career also.So when i bought it i became a bigger fan of Steve.Anybody that loves Journey has to get this cd and wont be disapointed.I cant pick a certain favorite song because they all are good ones."What Was","Once In A Lifetime,Girl","You Better Wait","Oh Sherrie"and"Forever Right Or Wrong"are some of my faves.So pop rock fans prepare yourselves for a real treat of an album.What are you doing?Get up and go get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Steve Perry is Amaz(on)ing!, May 1, 2006
This review is from: Steve Perry - Greatest Hits + Five Unreleased (Audio CD)
Steve Perry offers soothing songs and delightful melodies that please not only the ears, but the heart, mind, and soul as well. His voice is like that of an angel and not only does Steve care about what he sings, he makes you care! That is the magic that only few possess. Thank you, Steve Perry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh that VOICE!, May 3, 2001
I. Lundberg (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steve Perry - Greatest Hits + Five Unreleased (Audio CD)
For those Journey fans who were primarily devotees of Steve Perry's vocals, you have "come home" when you find this album. Hits include "Oh Sherrie," "Foolish Heart," and "Missing You," and those are just the beginning. "Go Away" is one of my favorite tracks, with astounding percussion and the anguish of lost love like only Steve can convey. "It Won't Be You" is another along these lines. "She's Mine" imparts the intense pain and fear of a threatened and jealous lover. My other favorite is "Melody," a tender love song full of faith and hope. My least favorite songs are "Summer of Luv," a frivolous yet amusing track about infatuation, as "Luv" may suggest, and "You Better Wait," mostly because it doesn't showcase Steve's vocals like the other tracks do. And even though I usually detest the music from animated feature films, "I Stand Alone" from "Quest for Camelot" isn't bad! I gave this album 5 stars -- impassioned songs performed by one of the most profound and penetrating voices of all time. There are 17 tracks and you'll wonder why it's over so quickly.