Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback STEM

on March 7, 2010
This is the best guidebook I've read yet for my upcoming trip to Sorrento and the surrounding area. I enjoy Mr. Steves clear and concise descriptions of the sights and local businesses. When I return from the trip, I'll be able to say whether his info is accurate. BACK FROM MY TRAVELS: Okay, now I can say with confidence that Mr. Steves guidebook is excellent. We used it extensively and enjoyed his explanation of the various sites and found his recommendations to be "right on". I will be purchasing more of his guidebooks as we continue our travels.
on July 19, 2010
My husband and I are big fans of Rick Steves', not just for his books, but for his TV shows as well. Rick has great insight into all the places he writes about and he makes it a personal journey for his readers.

I bought this book along when we visited Southern Italy last month. We stayed in Sorrento and this book helped us plan our itinerary. The book was relatively light and small (4X8), so it was easy to carry in my bag. What I especially liked about this book was its detailed descriptions of Pompeii. It helped us understand the ruins as we passed each structure. The descriptions were easy to read and easy to follow since he included pictures. (Alternatively, you could rent an audio at the entrance for 5 euros -- and get a comprehensive guidebook as well -- but there's nothing like reading ahead to prepare yourself for the visit. The place is HUGE!)

If you are visiting Naples/Pompeii/Sorrento/Capri/Amalfi/Positano/Ravello/Paestrum, I highly recommend this book!
on July 31, 2012
This book does not begin to touch upon most of the Amalfi Coast. It has not helped us for our travel to Amalfi this September. I expected so much more from this Rick Steves book. It is more concentrated on Naples than the Amalfi Coast.
on April 7, 2010
This is a great book if you are only visiting the Naples/Amalfi areas. Otherwise, I would recommend just purchasing the entire Italy book. It's basically a section taken out of the country guide. This book contains all the important sites to see, walks to take, and places to eat and stay. I love Rick's sense of humor and his attentiveness to the importance of getting to know the people. I highly recommend any of his travel books!
on February 23, 2011
I used this book to plan my trip and also took it with me. I loved the Rick steve's Rome edition and thought this would be good too. In generak, it was tough to fi d really great travel books for this area. It was a helpful book, but I am not sure it's worth the price... I'd put it on the second tier list of books if I was stocking up for a vacation.
on October 11, 2010
I ended up using this book much more than the lonely planet amalfi coast/naples section. I love how he gives tips and recommendations on stuff you don't know unless someone tells you.
The reason I don't give it 5 stars is the maps. I'm sure at this point Rick can afford to pay for less rough/more detailed maps, the hand-drawn/not-to-scale maps don't do it for me.
on February 21, 2013
As its title suggests, this little book provides a great snapshot of the Naples and Amalfi Coast area. It gives enough description and detail to get you around and give you a bit of a background to what you are seeing. I carried it with me on a self-guided visit to Pompeii and was very glad I did. It doesn't cover everything, but it does cover the basics. It is particularly helpful in telling you how to get around on public transport.
on November 6, 2010
We spent 11 days walking on the Amalfi coast and purchased the kindle version of this book. Rick Stevens provides a lot of interesting information on the region in this book which gave us some good background reading. We were not visiting Naples so this part of the book which was probably half of it,was not so useful.

We were on a walking tour which provided us with walking notes which this book does not cover so they complemented each other.
on June 24, 2010
I bought the Rick Steves guides for a recent 2 week trip to Italy and they made the trip so easy. The guides are easy to figure out, have great recommendations on places to eat, sleep, see. The walk-though tours of various museums are great (& save you money on an audio guide - especially if you use in combo with his Italy podcasts). The descriptions and maps are easy to follow too. We ate at several of his recommended restaurants and were never disappointed. The guides are also light weight so you can easily carry them around all day for easy reference. I highly recommend these to anyone planning a trip to Italy (we used the Venice, Rome, Cinque Terre & Almafi Coast guide as well as the Italian Phrasebook & the free pod-casts).

Be sure to download the podcast for Pompeii if you plan on visiting. It follows this guide book and is very helpful if you are not with a guide.
on February 19, 2010
My parents are taking a cruise in the Spring which will take them through Spain, Italy, and Greece. We have purchased several of Rick Steves' books in preparation for the cruise and they have been terrific. The maps, hints and tours have provided a wealth of information. The useful phrases section is also terrific. All of Rick Steves' resource information has been excellent. We have also moved over to his website and downloaded onto an MP3 several of his tours. I don't know what more we could ask for other than a personally guided tour and the books are certainly the next best thing!