5.0 out of 5 stars Fructevia - a great sugar alternative
Love Fructevia! Excellent for baking, hot chocolate or anything that requires sugar for people who want a healthier alternative. Tastes surprisingly good without an after taste. I use it for brownies, pies, daiquiris, you name it!
Published on June 3, 2011 by Noley

2.0 out of 5 stars This reminds me of Slimtevia repackaged
Published 6 months ago by NoBS

5.0 out of 5 stars Fructevia - a great sugar alternative, June 3, 2011
This review is from: Steviva Fructevia Natural Sweetener, 16 Ounce (Grocery)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good in coffee, but cooking with it will empty your wallet., April 25, 2012
Brian Fuchs (Thousand Oaks, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steviva Fructevia Natural Sweetener, 16 Ounce (Grocery)
I was looking for a substitute for Splenda - which I like (but consume too much of). I am not diabetic.

I heard about Stevia for years, but never tried it. I was turned off by the licorice aftertaste many people complain of. So, I figured that perhaps a Stevia/sugar combo might be a good thing to try (technically, this contains fructose - not sugar).

My first test was the old "smell test", and I must say, if one judges this product by smell, it gets 1 star. Very strong, unpleasant chemical odor in that bag.

Next was the coffee test.
As a reference, I usually add just over full 1 Splenda pack to an 8oz cup of Joe to suit my taste.
It took about 1 1/2 tsp of Fructevia to match the same sweetness level (about 7 calories from the fructose). This would equate to about 72 cups of coffee sweetener for the whole bag.
The packaging indicates that the product is twice as sweet as sugar, which implies that same cup of coffee would need 1 tbsp of sugar (about 45 calories worth) to match the sweetness.
The taste with Fructevia in coffee was exceptional - very much like regular old sugar. No aftertaste at all.

Lastly was the direct taste test.
I placed a pinch on my hand and tasted directly.
Strangely, I was hit with an instant bitterness, which quickly became sweet, then faded as sugar would. The bitterness was off-putting. By the way, I find Splenda to have an immediate bitter bite as well.
Fructevia had no unpleasant aftertaste.
Based on the initial bitterness I perceived, I don't think I'd try baking with this.

In my opinion, baking with this stuff is VERY expensive. For about $7, you get 2 cups, which would substitute for 4 cups of sugar. That's not many cakes for $7 of sweetener. And I don't know how Amazon can be charging $13 for this same bag! I got mine from a hoity-toity (expensive) health food store for $7.

One reviewer complained of stomach pains after consuming this. Maybe it was the $13 price tag. I'll let you know...

5.0 out of 5 stars best tasting natural sweetner, November 3, 2011
This review is from: Steviva Fructevia Natural Sweetener, 16 Ounce (Grocery)
I have tried lots of sweetners and this one is the best so far! Works very well with blood sugar issues.

2.0 out of 5 stars This reminds me of Slimtevia repackaged, February 12, 2014
NoBS (CDA, ID USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steviva Fructevia Natural Sweetener, 16 Ounce (Grocery)
The main ingredient in Fructevia is Fructose. Fructose is simple sugar. So, the main ingredient is simple sugar. Besides stevia, the rest is filler; FOS is usually made via a chemical process and is a carbohydrate/fiber/filler, though it can be called a prebiotic, which means it is an indigestible fiber that good gut flora can grow on, but again FOS is usually chemically derived. I call it filler.
100% stevia extract is around 200-300 times stronger than table sugar. This stuff (Fructevia) is 2.5 times stronger than table sugar. It doesn't take much to do the math.

If you take regular sugar, use 1/4 the amount and then add some stevia, you would get almost the same result, save a bundle and still have roughly 4 calories. The main difference with sugar would be no fillers, so you would use about 1/3 teaspoon. It will be sweet, without the questionable bitterness or you can buy quality stevia or you can make your own stuff. You can buy, on Amazon, Fructose, Inulin/FOS/filler and even Magnesium Carbonate.

Now(Brand) fructose is about $10.30 for three pounds-on Amazon, including Prime shipping, as of this posting.

I use Now and NuNaturals stevia. I buy them in 16oz. containers on Amazon and save a bundle. One container lasts me about a year and I use a LOT of it. While both brands are XLNT, 100% stevia extract and non-bitter, I find NuNaturals is slightly better in quality and is stronger, though I have heard they changed distributors, so I can only go by their XLNT reputation. Both say non-bitter on the containers and I tasted the one I have open with the tip of my finger and agree that it is not bitter.

By buying 16oz., I pay about $3.00 an ounce for NOW stevia, including Prime shipping. Even one ounce of this powder (about $8.00 including shipping if purchased in a 1 oz. size) at a humble 160x strength is equal to 16 pounds of sugar. Can you imagine how many calories and dollars you will save if you could suffer with 2/3 less sugar, let alone 1/3 and mixing it with stevia.

3 pounds of fructose and less than 1/5 ounce of stevia will cost you under $13.00, or less than $5.00 a pound, compared to $15 for Fructevia. It will be better quality (no FOS/inulin filler or magnesium carbonate), you can mix it when you need it and adjust it to your liking. Fructose gives you volume, so if you can't get used to 1/3 teaspoon with sugar or are sensitive to straight stevia and need to use a teaspoon, then fructose is your stuff.

Again, mix stevia with sugar to taste in a separate container. Use 1/3 or less of the amount of the sugar and get better results. I rarely use sugar. Even when I bake I use stevia and usually use 1/3 of the amount of sugar, and only do so for filler. Nobody has ever commented on anything being different; neither bitter or not sweet enough, they love the cooking and are always surprised when I tell them I use stevia at all. Stevia is potent and most people use too much and is generally what causes the problem. Too sweet, more so than too bitter.

While stevia is sweet, it is not sugar, so the taste is close, yet not identical, but it does not have to be bitter and you don't have to spend a ridiculous amount of money for this product. Add 100% stevia to turbonado, confectioners, raw cane or even brown sugar and you will have quite the treat, IMHO. :)

While I am certain Fructevia is a good quality product, I feel they are too expensive. This stuff should cost about $7-10, including shipping and I'm certain they would still be making a handsome profit, since they make it in quantities. They call it all natural, but GMO corn is also called all natural, but cannot be called organic. Caveat Emptor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fructevia, May 4, 2013
This review is from: Steviva Fructevia Natural Sweetener, 16 Ounce (Grocery)
Sweetness without the bitter taste of Stevia. If you want natural sweetener, but cannot handle Stevia, this may be your answer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steviva Fructevia Natural Sweetner, April 23, 2013
Ron V. (metro boston) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steviva Fructevia Natural Sweetener, 16 Ounce (Grocery)
Unlike the Splenda I have been using for too many years before, Fructevia is all natural. I have red too many stories of the splenda and natural sugar having unhealthy and dangerous side effects on peoples health. I found this mail order store that is less expensive than another I previously ordered from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes great, July 7, 2014
This review is from: Steviva Fructevia Natural Sweetener, 16 Ounce (Grocery)
Fructevia tastes great. Have not baked with it but have used it in dishes that require a bit more sweetener than a pack. The flavor is very nice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, April 14, 2014
This review is from: Steviva Fructevia Natural Sweetener, 16 Ounce (Grocery)
This is the best sugar substitute I have tasted.
I like that it does not have a bitter after taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, January 31, 2014
This review is from: Steviva Fructevia Natural Sweetener, 16 Ounce (Grocery)
It does not have aftertaste, it is sweet, do not need to use a lot. It tastes better than Stevia

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds great!, November 13, 2013
This review is from: Steviva Fructevia Natural Sweetener, 16 Ounce (Grocery)
It is true, the SweetLeaf liquid stevia leaves an odd aftertaste to whatever you use it in. I am looking forward to trying this but for the price-savvy it is cheaper on the company's actual website!

[...]

Steviva Fructevia Natural Sweetener, 16 Ounce
$15.95
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.
Rate and Discover Movies