The Tempra 24 Plus kicks out precise temperature hot water instantly and maintains a steady tempreature. Seems like very high quality and with the digital temperature readout very easy to use and know what the unit is doing.
Published on January 31, 2011 by Gordon Levin

2.0 out of 5 stars Troubles
Published on February 4, 2011 by Oldracer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent water heater, but installation more expensive than you'd think, January 31, 2011
This review is from: Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus Electric Tankless Whole House Water Heater, 240 V, 24 kW (Tools & Home Improvement)
While the plumbing installation is simple and the unit does not require any venting, the electrical service installation is very heavy duty. If you have an old house it is very likely that your electrical panel won't handle the two 60-amp curcuits required here. A new panel can cost a couple thousand dollars. Check it out first before buying one of these.
My newer house had enough capacity for the installation and it still cost almost $500, and that was a good price for time and materials with the electrician only.
Even with the professional electrical work, I can still detect a slight bump, or flicker in the lights when you turn on the hot water. Not really a dimming, just a little flicker. Barely perceptable but it's there. It's a very small appliance but definately heavy duty handling a big electric load.

5.0 out of 5 stars unlimited hot water, December 14, 2011
this has been a great hot water heater. old tanked hot water heater took a poop and needed to be replaced, had done some research on tankless heaters and decided that it was worth the initial cost. i settled on this heater after some online searching/research as it had pretty good reviews across the internets and was described as fairly easy to install. received my unit fast, important, as i was living with out hot water in the mean time. opened the box and read the install directions...
required install components (not included)
6 gauge wire - you will need enough to run the wire twice from panel box to heater as it will have to be double fused
(2) 60-AMP fuses - this will pull 115 AMP when running
copper plumbing - will vary based on location and current setup
(2) flexible connectors - well worth the extra couple of bucks to make connecting the input and output hoses

all of these things cost me around 200$ at local big box

the install was fairly easy, i am not an expert by any means, but i can sweat piping and can plug a fuse into the fuse box. took a couple of hours to do it myself, but saved me about 400$ that a plumber quoted me on the phone.

my wife and i have been using this for about 5 months now. it provides unlimited hot water for pretty much any use. we are heating well water that comes in between 50-60 degrees, and with the unit set on 130 degrees, the water comes out at pretty much 130. have not had any issues with hot water with just the two of us. can run dishwasher and shower at same time with no temperature issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, but you should know some things..., December 14, 2011
I always have trouble rating anything a 5 because nothing is perfect, as is the case with the Stiebel Eltron Tempra 24 Plus. But don't get me wrong - I like it, and I would buy it again.

The Good:
- Gives you hot water when you ask for it and hot water flow never stops (duh)
- Easy to adjust the max temperature
- Simple enough to install (I did not do it myself)
- Run 2 showers at the same time and both get hot water to shower with
- Slightly lower electric bill (but it's kind of hard to tell as seasons change)

The Bad:
- Temperature is not as steady as tank-based water heater when taking a shower. Gets hotter and colder for brief, but uncomfortable, periods
- Washing dishes is either hot or cold, and will not stay at a lukewarm temperature. The best I can guess, this is because of the low flow of water needed to do dishes at the sink; like maybe it doesn't "trigger" the hot water to kick in. Still investigating because this is annoying
- Bandwidth is lower than tank-based water heater. Example: If 2 showers are going at the same time, they both get plenty of hot water, but the throughput is about 2/3 of what it would normally be. Not so bad, but somewhat disconcerting.

The Ugly:
- This thing is actually not ugly, it's actually quite "cute" in its design. =)

Breakdown by device:
- Shower: Good, not great
- Dishes at the kitchen sink: Needs improvement
- Washing hands: Needs improvement
- Dish washer: Perfect

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, October 29, 2010
I have been using the water heater for about three weeks now. It works great. Installation was easy. I had to put in a bigger breaker box but I was in the process of re-wiring the house anyway. I have hot water throughout the house! One note of caution. If you are considering a tankless water heater, do not try to save money but cutting corners. Get the size that is recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Troubles, February 4, 2011
Install was fairly straight forward. Had to have two seperate 60 amp circuit breakers installed with 6 gage wire. Plumbing was easy just make sure you purchase the steel braid hoses as prescribed, black rayon braid will not install!! (I learned the hard way) Set the temp to 109 per recommendation and tested the water. After 10-15 seconds, the water began to get warm but never went above luke warm. No way I could take a shower in that cool of water. I tried multiple settings with the same result. I called the company that sent it to me and talked to a rude person on the phone telling me they were not actually responsible for that product and I'm thinking here comes the run around. After offering me voice mail or hold I choose hold and waited about 8 minutes. The young lady that came on was surprisingly very helpful and ended up directing me to Steibel Eltron technical support. Since it was Friday, about 5:15 PM, I held out little hope of getting anyone but she checked their hours and found they were still open. I called and was connected with someone that kept telling me they had never heard of that problem before. I asked "what do we do from here" and then he told me he wasn't the tech support guy, he was just filling in for the real guy. I expressed some frustration and he told me to wait and he would see if he could find someone. After a few minutes, he came back and told me I needed to call back on Monday.
Called monday and left a few messages at Stiebl until a tech called me back. I described the temperature problem and he said "let's do some checks". I had to explain that I was now 400 miles from where I installed the unit two days earlier and couldn't actually look at the unit. He was very understanding and told me to call back and set an appointment with their top guy for when I could discuss it with them.
After reading some customer reviews, several had the same issue I did and others worked perfectly so I don't know if the Electrician or me the plumber did something wrong or if the unit is not working correctly.
Once I work with the tech people, I will update this review with my final rating. In short though, it shouldn't be this difficult to install a unit after spending what the unit costs and the electrical changes required.
Note to others: make sure you take pictures of the electrical wiring hook up inside the unit, have an accurate thermometer and measure the cold water temp and the hot water temp. measure how long it takes to get to the max hot temperature you achieve. Finally, measure how many gallons per minute your water is flowing, a simple gallon bucket and a second hand on you watch work just fine. Once you have that stuff, stand in front of the unit and call tech support. You'll need it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful! Love it!, April 16, 2012
Elizabeth E. Oliver (N Wilkesboro, NC, US) - See all my reviews
We purchased this unit in March 2011 from Amazon. We had an old tank water heater, which would only produce about 3 min of luke-warm water. We run strictly on electric, so gas was not an option for us. We are a two bathroom house, two adults and some dog children (lol). My father-in-law was not pro this purchase, suggested a tank or at least purchase a tank less from our local Lowes Hardware. I am SO glad we did not listen to him! We were lucky in that we have a certified plumber and electrician as good friends. They both came out and installed the unit in one evening at the cost of around $100. This was in May 2011. From May 2011 till February 2012 the unit saved us over $500 in our electric bill. It reduced our monthly payment from $220 a month to $180! The unit and the installation cost will be well paid for in savings within 12 months!

We LOVE this unit. We have it set at 120F and it will run at that temp for as long as you want it to. The pressure is slightly reduced if the bath tub is filling and you are washing dishes, but the temp does not change. We have this unit in our basement and have had NO problems from it what so ever. We would highly recommend this to anyone. I would suggest contacting the company before purchase, as I did, to double check on the suggested size that would best benefit your household.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great so far!, January 10, 2012
I really needed the space because our hot water heater was located in the kitchen pantry and it was time to replace it anyway. It is working great and have noticed a drop in the electric bill.

For most people these things are not economically practical if you are going to pay for electric and plumbing installation. I installed everything myself and already had 200 amp service with space for two more breakers. Installing the wiring which is more like really heavy cable was a bear with my cramped attic space. Even if you do the work yourself plan on at least $200 in parts. The electric wiring alone is $150 at Lowes or Home Depot. In the end it all worked out and we are very happy with the purchase.

Personally I would give it 5 stars but installation is either cost prohibitive or very difficult. Technically the electric and plumbing installation should only be done by a professional and is virtually impossible for over 95% of the potential buyers out there. Plan on at least $1000 in professional installation for both the plumber and the electrician and that is only if you have the Amp service needed. If you need a panel upgrade you are looking at around $3,500 just for the upgrade.

4.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, mostly satisfactory, January 6, 2012
In general I like this water heater. Once it was installed we realized that it creates the temperature rise by regulating the water flow thru the heater, meaning the higher you have the thermostat turned up, the slower the hot water flows from the tap. The reason I did not give it five stars is because it doesn't quite produce the volume it's rated for (I also purchased a Stiebel Eltron 15 Plus unit, and it does produce the full volume, and a little bit more).

My house has 200 amp service. When either unit is on, the lights definitely dim. However, my electrician tested and found that neither unit draws the full current specified, so I do not have any problems powering them, even when both are running at the same time. He cautioned me, however, that they may overdraw the generator, so I may be without hot water when there is a power outage.

I converted from propane to electric because I have solar electricity and make more electricity than I use. Instead of giving so much back to the electric company (I have a grid-tie system rather than batteries), I have chosen to reduce my propane bill instead. The use of these units have added about 3kWh to my daily electric usage.*

I had hoped that, since both of these units are closer to the point-of-use, the wait-time before hot water actually comes out of the faucet would be shorter, but perhaps because the flow rate is reduced, the hot water doesn't seem to get to the faucet any quicker.

Incidentally, I opted to install an AquaPure water filter to hopefully reduce the amount of scale buildup in the heaters, and in the house in general. As it's only been a week or two, I can't say if it's necessary, but it was only about $70 so I thought it was comparatively inexpensive insurance.

*There is only one person in the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best., June 29, 2011
Russell A Yingst Jr (Jonestown, PA United States) - See all my reviews
As far as I'm concerned Stiebel Eltron is the only brand Tankless Electric Water Heater I will use.
You don't have to worry about the water being too hot or too cold or getting one that is too large.
These heaters only use the amount of electric required to get the job done.
I have three different Stiebel Eltron Water Heaters in my house now, some for several years. All have working without fail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product so far!, March 31, 2011
Hooks up nicely.

Hot water on demand, no issues at all so far.

We take longer hotter showers and our electric bill has stayed flat.

Dont't let the electrical scare you. I'm a novice and I did it.