Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Size: 40 Mm One|Color: White|Change
Price:$5.99+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on June 4, 2013
I ordered 6 balls over 6 months ago, and they arrived as specified and played as expected. I just ordered 12 more. There are various discussions in the reviews as to the quality and nature of the balls. Here is a little background:
1) Yes, table tennis is ping pong is table tennis. Note that the Chinese, who play much more than westerners, also regularly refer to it as "ping pong" (pronounced with slightly different vowels than English, normally the game is referred to in Chinese with the third character for ball: jiu, pronounced more or less like the English "geo").
2) Some time back the standard ball size shifted from 38mm to 40mm. The current standard is 40mm, which these balls are. http://www.tabletennismaster.com/page/ping-pong-balls
3) Also, for TV perhaps, but also generally for visibility, neon orange balls are now often preferred to white balls. If your table is blue rather than green, the contrast with the orange balls is even better. White of course is old school.
4) 3-star balls are considered tournament quality rather than practice quality. They should bounce better and more consistently than 1-star, unmarked, or 2-star balls. But brand also provides some indicator of quality. Common ping pong brands, generally all from Asia, are TSP and Stiga, with more premium brands including Nittaku. Other well-known brands include Butterfly (traditional) and DHS (I saw on one site that they make over 2/3s of the ping pong balls today, no doubt to various quality specs and branding) ("Double Happiness").
5) Since ping pong balls approved for tournament play are governed by specs for weight (2.7g), material (celluloid), size (40mm diameter), finish (matte), and bounce (0.4 coefficient of restitution), really the differences between balls should amount to quality and consistency.
6) Balls wear in usage. Over time a ball, unless cracked first, loses its matte finish so it becomes more slippery and faster. The 38mm balls (old school) should last longer because they were heavier for the surface area, and of course they should go faster and spin more, as that's why they were changed for competition! No wonder some people say 40mm balls are "not as good" as the old balls.
88 comments|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2013
You are getting a great quality product for a great price too. It's a shame to see that they've been categorized as add-on items now (even though they shipped from different places than the other items in my order). We play every day at work and have found that out of the 4-5 different brands we have (and different star level too), these ones are our favorite brand, the weight is just perfect and I feel like they're more similar to the average 3-star ball. We have other brands which feel totally different right away and we've just been discarding them slowly until they're all in the bottom of a drawer somewhere.

Out of hundreds of hours of play I think we've only managed to damage one by hitting it super hard a bunch of times (other than by accidentally stepping on them or something). So they're definitely worth getting wether you're playing just for fun every once in a while or everyday use like me.
on December 26, 2011
Excellent table tennis balls! Tournament quality, good lifespan, color, feel, size, bounce. I buy these or Joola balls, depending on price, since they (and other 3 star balls from familiar manufacturers) are basically equivalent in quality. UPDATE: I bought a second set, and for some reason (out of stock?) Amazon replaced my order with PING PONG BRAND balls. My hope was that these would be ok, no such luck. Played with these just one day, one ball broke cleanly in half, the others play poorly, sound strange, they're HORRIBLE. I'd change my rating to ONE STAR, but can't update my earlier rating. So, now I'm supposed to pack and return these?
on January 5, 2015
I bought these balls based on the positive reviews and let me tell you how wrong i was. The 3-star are all fake it seems. I have played a lot of table tennis to judge which ball is good and which is not. The ball is so light that it swerves in the air. When you toss it up for service, you will get the feel that it is not coming with proper trajectory. The shots also don't feel the same with this light cheap ball. It says USATT approved.. it is not ITTF approved. It just used ITTF standard 40mm size but it weights lighter.
I am really disappointed that i bought these.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on March 13, 2015
I am an avid recreational ping pong player, and before purchasing these balls, I had purchased and used the Butterfly ping pong balls, and in comparison, these Stiga balls just don't seem to have the same quality feel that the Butterfly balls had. Even my other family members -- with whom I play ping pong -- noticed the difference. Going forward, I will pay the premium for the Butterfly balls, and I would not consider purchasing these again -- one and done.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
W. Griffith,
We are very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the quality of these balls. Our STIGA 3-Star Balls are manufactured according to ITTF Standards for size and weight, and undergo extensive testing to ensure optimal performance. However, if you feel that we missed the mark, then we would like to address your concerns. Please contact Sarah at consumercare@stigaus.com.
Thanks!
STIGA
on May 12, 2013
Good quality 3 star ping pong balls that works well! I also got the white ping pong one's and they also work so well.
on June 1, 2013
I would say one of the best in the market, good quality and so far I have no complaints at all.
on June 3, 2015
These 3-star Stiga balls are definitely some of the best table tennis balls you can buy. You can tell they are high quality (especially compared to the 1 star balls), a heavier gauge than others and they have a great bounce, highly recommended.
on April 5, 2013
You'll definitely get more action out of these balls than you will the standard, value-priced ball. Not necessary for beginners, but more advanced players will appreciate the pronounced spin and faster volley action.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 2, 2014
What else do I say? I am pretty much just a good beginner, so all the info about level of spin, etc. just really doesn't make much of a difference to me. I like the weight of these, they seem to bounce well, and for me, they hold up well without cracking or splitting.