Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Still has cut, from the original!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 17, 2006 10:52:34 PM PDT
Boo hoo! I am old enough to remember the scene in the original movie where the sisters are all riding to Twelve Oaks, and they get into a fight in the carriage. The scene is in the book, and it WAS in the original film. It is a great George Cukor moment, and SHAME on the ower of this film, that this piece of the film is always cut.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2006 8:36:09 AM PDT
It would be wonderful to see a version with a "deleted scenes" section.. I dont know if its possible for the older movies, its one of my favorite things about DVDs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2007 8:47:31 AM PST
Plymouth 58 says:
I think you are imagining things. GWTW has not been cut since its release. Unless you saw the sneak preview.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2008 8:25:08 PM PDT
Edward says:
This scene is not mentioned in William Platt's "Scarlett Fever". If it was in the original film, it must have been deleted early on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009 12:32:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2009 12:33:24 AM PST
Nope... nobody is imagining anything. It was cut when it was released for TV and then the very large box version on VHS (which I have) is the TV version. There are even pauses where the commercials go. So yes, it was definitely cut.

Posted on Feb 15, 2009 8:01:43 PM PST
A. Danovi says:
Oh geeze, this scene NEVER existed in the film. I own several copies of the final script and it's not there. There is not photo evidence of such a scene. Olivia de Havilland was even interviewed after the first TV release in 1978 and she said that it was very disrupting to watch all the commercials but she never mentioned any editing of scenes. In fact the 1989 film re-release was developed from the oldest prints available. So, if such a scene actually existed, it would have been in the 1989 re-release. It would have also been in the 1967 re-release and the 1998 re-release. The DVD copy is made from the FILM, again, the oldest prints that warner brothers could get because that's how you end up with the clarity that you have now. So, the prints that Warner Brothers would have been originally working with when they digitized the film in 1998 would have contained the scene because the prints would have been from prior to TV.

The scene DOES NOT exist in the final December 15, 1939 release.

Posted on Feb 15, 2009 8:50:45 PM PST
A. Danovi says:
Just found this morsel of information on imdb

One of the few remaining scenes directed by George Cukor to survive into the final cut of the film is the birth of Melanie's baby

Re: Rhett crying with bonnie, there is only ONE scene where Rhett Butler is seen by the audience crying and that is when he is in his room crying after Scarlett fell down the stairs. The scene with the candleabra is just a momentary event when he opens the door after Melanie knocks on it and asks to enter. There was NEVER a scene filmed to show us what happened behind that door.

Posted on Apr 9, 2009 3:01:07 PM PDT
This movie has never been shown cut. I have owned this movie in every imaginable variation - a VHS recorded from CBS TV, two different VHS versions including the 1989 50th Anniversary release, two Laserdiscs including the 1989 release, two different DVD versions and, yes, even Super 8, 16mm and 35mm full-length film prints of the movie. The only time ANYTHING was cut was a few transitions (the industry calls them dissolves) between scenes on the TV showings in order to accomodate a smoother in and out of the commercials. All of these scenes people are imagining are from having read the book.

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 2:35:48 PM PST
IMDB references this scene along with a few others which were either deleted or shortened after the film was previewed in Riverside, CA. I have seen a snippet of Scarlett's last scene (a close-up of Vivien Leigh) which isn't in the actual film (a wide-shot of Scarlett in silhouette is used in the final version).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2014 11:53:13 AM PST
Charlie says:
That "piece of the film is always cut" because it was never in the original theatrical release. Perhaps you're remembering it from the book, because the film on this disc is just as it premiered in 1939. Search the internet -- there are no references to this scene existing or ever being deleted.

Posted on May 31, 2014 9:14:14 AM PDT
I first saw this classic in the very early 1940s and have seen it countless times since then, including watching it every month on blu-ray, and the scene we've discussed was NEVER in the original release. In Herb Bridges mammoth pictorial book, Scarlett Fever, he does show the deleted scene of Mammie and other servants at the barbecue discussing the war. Also deleted was an elaborate scene when Belle Watling and her 'girls" testify in court that Rhett Butler and company were with them during the destruction of Shanty Town by Rhett and Frank Kennedy. This scene took days to film--but then thrown out! Selznick deleted snippets from entrances and exits. If you watch the scene when Rhett comes to Aunt Pitty's house to propose to Scarlett, we see him closing the door to the library and he says, "Don't drink alone. People will always find out." Then he opens his mouth to say more, but the scene cuts to Scarlett crying.

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 10:22:39 PM PDT
The original camera negative for the film is at the George Eastman House in Rochester, NY. At least a couple of the more-or-less recent rereleases (since the 1970s) were taken from that source. I have friends who worked at the GEH back in the late twentieth century who talk about how that the negative was pulled out of their vaults to use on those releases. If the scene existed in the premiere version it would have popped up in those theatrical releases.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Apr 17, 2006
Latest post:  Jun 27, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Gone With the Wind [VHS]
Gone With the Wind [VHS] by Gable (VHS Tape - 1992)
4.7 out of 5 stars (3,519)