Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing

87%
13%

on August 23, 2013
This book starts out as a sleeper; it sounds like generalities and the obvious. I almost regretted buying it. Then, it started to dawn on me that I had in my hands the book that would take my flyfishing to a higher level. For the past 3 years I have struggled with the knowledge that what I lacked most was the ability to figure out where the fish were actively feeding. Sometimes it was obvious, but many times it simply was not. Mr. Lockhart's book makes it clear how to effeciently solve this puzzle.

This is not a beginning flyfishing book. No discussion of knots, how to tie the flies, how to play and land the fish, etc. It assumes you know these things, and focuses on the methodology one should use to analyze a lake and thereby make their plan of action for catching trout. It emphasizes that the plan is nothing, because conditions change often throughout the day; but it also emphasizes that the planning is everything. I believe that General Eisenhower made the same wise discovery during WW II!

If you are a serious fly fisher, and want to take your fishing strategy to the next level, this is the book for you. Even if you don't agree with every assertion Mr. Lockhart makes, you will come away from the book knowing you have read the mind of a master, and that it is chock full of things you need to think about.

I don't rate many fly fishing books a full 5 stars! This one, however, deserves it. I will re-read it at the start of each season just to refresh my memory of all the new ways to solve the riddles of stillwater trout fishing.
on March 5, 2016
Good job Tim, this is just the kind of information I've been searching for. Not a lot of bouncing from one place to another, focused on one or two bodies of water and explained what many of us have suffered through and how to over come it, "THE DREADED DEAD DAY"! I've spent over 25 years fly fishing rivers, and the last 10 years working thru Stillwater. I found your approach and delivery was done very well, information was sound, and even learned a few things I never knew.
If you are looking to take the next step beyond arriving at the waters edges and huckin' a chunk of hackle out and hoping for a fish, you'll want to read this book! Well priced and lots of info.
on March 11, 2013
I very well written and informative book. The author has very practical tips for how to handle different conditions and challenges encountered while flyfishing lakes for trout. A +++
on December 31, 2012
First of all, Tim dedicates this book to two of many amazing men. He gives an eloquent descriptive of his love and time spent on the water. Any avid fisherman should pick this up for himself and his fishing buddies. A great read!
on February 16, 2013
An excellent read. Anyone interested in improving their fishing skills should give this book a read.

Excellent illustrations as well.
on April 26, 2016
Good, practical read for any type of lake fishing and of course zeros in on fly fishing.
on August 13, 2013
FULL of generalisations and lacking in substance. Quite a boring read. Basically, be confident, smart, outwit and outwait the fish and try several different things at different times. Not what I expected.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2012
This is a fantastic Read! If you fish in the Northwest you have to read this book. I am going to buy a copy for all of my fishing buddies.