Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on August 6, 2008
A Stingray Bit My Nipple! is a charming compilation of humorous travel stories first published in Budget Travel magazine. Most of the stories are only 50-100 words and are accompanied by a high-quality color photograph. This gem appears on p. 7: "I met a pair of Iranian men--a businessman and his translator--while inside a store in China. 'You look like an Iranian woman,' the translator said. 'Well, thank you,' I replied, not exactly sure how to react. 'I'll take that as a compliment.' Looking me up and down, he said, 'No, don't.'"

The following humorous anecdote from p. 21 is accompanied by a picture of a chicken on a bed with an egg: "My husband and I booked a cabin in an eco-resort in Belize. When we arrived, there were chickens running loose around the grounds. The owner told us that they were his insect exterminators. That night we kept all of our windows open, and in the early morning, I heard a chicken squawking close by--very close. She was in our bed! And she loved being petted. When we got up, we discovered that she'd even laid an egg."

This light-hearted anthology will put a quick smile on your face and will also make a great gift for anyone who enjoys travel.
on May 1, 2008
The anecdotes in this collection are best read over a longer period of time, rather than straight through. Many were amusing, many evoked a feeling of "gosh, I'm glad that wasn't me," and many made me wish to have a similar experience. All in all the book does well with his intended purpose, a collection of stories accumulated from the magazine. I would keep it, instead of shelved, on a coffee table or even in the bathroom!
on May 30, 2011
This is a collection of one paragraph stories about odd happenings during vacations. They run the gamut from mundane to chuckle-worthy, but nothing that made me laugh out loud. It was a free Kindle book, so I can't complain too much.

I can, however, complain about the dreaded Topaz encoding of the Kindle book. For those of you who don't know, Topaz books force their font upon you, and you can't change the font style or spacing. This one is a relatively thin sans serif font, and the spacing is massive. As someone who normally uses a custom serif font at the smallest size and spacing, this is was very distracting. Still, it was free, so it is what it is. Just a heads up to others.
on July 31, 2011
This "book" was not what I was expecting. While I certainly didn't expect gallant prose, I had hoped to read something a little more substantial than just bits and blurbs of bad experiences. Most of the stories were not very humorous to me, although a few did make me laugh out loud. One after the other it just seemed to be the telling of tourists who'd poorly planned their vacations to begin with, or were being the "ugly American" (i.e. forcing one's self into a stranger's conversation just to have a picture).

On the plus side, this is the first book I've read on my Kindle that had photos, and I was pleasantly surprised by how viewable most of them turned out.

Reading other reviews, it seems this title was offered free at one point. I wouldn't recommend buying it unless you're just desperate for something to read. I know now not to buy any further compilations from this particular company.
on November 23, 2011
I "purchased" this book while it was free a little while back. I've never been a big traveler, though I've spent many, many hours browsing for vacations that might interest me. I thought I might appreciate some funny stories about other people's travels, so I downloaded this. In the end, it's an ok book but doesn't necessarily make me feel more inclined to travel.

The book is a compilation of stories from the magazine "Budget Travels". That means that these "stories" are actually just three or four sentence paragraphs - or in some cases, just a photo with a blurb to make sure you understand the humor or irony of the snapshot. The photos are clear enough on the Kindle, but I'm sure they'd be better in color. Given that these tales were previously in a magazine, they are well edited, though I didn't see any sort of organizational approach in the book. What I mean is that there are no chapters so you can't just read the stories about travels on a cruise ship or in Nepal. They're all mixed up.

In the end, the stories are not quite hilarious... some are ironic, some funny, some just sort of strange (guess you had to be there...). If you love those "you'll never guess what happened to me while I was travelling" stories, you might enjoy this. For me, it just makes me hope I never end up in a book like this.
on June 9, 2012
I found some of the stories to be downright funny & yes I did find myself laughing out loud now and then. The price was right, I got it for free. I didn't expect much, but it was so much more entertaining than I guessed it would be. These are short paragraphs of vacation experiences along with photos. My only complaint: the photos did not show well on the Kindle, they were just too small & grainy. I liked reading this in small doses - in line at the store, waiting for my friend to arrive, while I was stuck in traffic - you get the picture. It was easy to pick up & continue where I left off reading.
VINE VOICEon September 26, 2011
Any traveler will appreciate these anecdotes and fun-filled adventures, page after page. This category is always one of my favorites in the magazine "Budget Travel" - I did see a few duplicates from the magazine column but it's always hilarious to see the stories again. I particularly enjoyed the photo of the Fijiian chief drunk on kava, the lady not noticing her bright red panties showing, Brokestrap Mountain, and the fishing couple in Mexico snagging a large brick of marijuana. Travel always produces the unexpected and comic, and it was enjoyable to flip through this compilation. At different times and places,I do believe I have had similar, crazy experiences!
on June 4, 2011
This is a fun little book and it made me laugh out loud several times. I've read Budget Travel off and on for years, and the humorous personal anecdotes are one of my favorite parts. People share the silly things they've done, and just weird and funny things they've seen or experienced by being in the right place at the right time. I even called my mom and read her a couuple of the funny stories.

My only criticism of this book is with the Kindle edition. There are a lot of photos in the book, and they don't show all that great on the Kindle. Maybe on the device with the bigger screen they'd be better. Still, don't let that stop you from taking advantage of the free offer that's currently available.
on June 30, 2012
Enjoyed this collection of humorous incidents submitted from travelers all over the world. From a young man's introduction to "mouse jerky" (Americans really do need to get out more)to a vacuum with a lei to monkeys who decorate vacationers, there was plenty of variety. Felt like we were laughing together at the little (and larger) bumps that are part and parcel of traveling. Read it on the Kindle for PC but I think I'd prefer it on paper.
on April 16, 2012
I used to be a subscriber of the Budget Travel magazine. Whenever a new issue landed in may box, the first part I read were these stories. They are unebelivably funny and sometimes just plain unbelievable. You would never be able to make this up. It is a quick read since every story is super short.