Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

Format: HardcoverChange

on August 22, 2002
Hey, I may be in college, but this was a book I read all the time when I was little. I'm currently taking Children's Lit, which requires me reading 70 children's books. I found this one burried in my room, forgetting that I still owned it. I read it, and it still made me laugh. "The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales" is one entertaining book.
It's some of your favorite fairy tales.....except told in parody form. They're hillarious. My favorites are "Jack's Bean Problem," "Little Red Running Shorts," "Chicken Licken," and "The Really Ugly Duckling." But they're all very funny. The Little Red Hen will crack you up as she blabbers on about how no one is helping her and how horrible this book is.
The book is by Jon Scieszka and is illustrated by Lane Smith.
It doesn't matter how old you are, this is one of the funniest children's book I have ever read. Fun for all ages. Great writing and pictures. Have a look whenever you can. I'm sure you will not regret it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 1997
I feel guilty, but it is true. One night before bedtime my 8 year old son Dylan said, "Will you read me a story?" It had been a long day and I was tired so I started in with "Aw, Dylan not tonight....". It was just then he reached under the bed and pulled out the Stinky Cheese Man. Now I had read the Stinky Cheese before so I thought I knew what was coming. He said just relax Mom, and I will read you a story. Dylan proceded through the Stinky Cheese Man with all the drama and inflection he could muster. He used different voices for all the different characters. In those few moments I was transformed. My fatigue was replaced with the awe of my young son so totally rapt in this exceedingly silly story. I laughed until I thought I would cry. Now at night when it is time for Dylan to go to bed, I say, "How about the Stinky Cheese Man tonight?" It is a delightful story with a warped sense of humor!
VINE VOICEon September 2, 2002
GREAT! What other word can possibly come to mind reading The Stinky Cheese Man? I originally bought this book for my niece and nephew, Kayla and Greg. But before I gave it to them I read it myself and I simply could not stop laughing.
The best way to describe this to parents and adults is: it's a combination of Rocky and Bullwinkle (working on two humor levels), Mad Magazine, Mother Goose, and absolute literary anarchy. If you're an adult and have any sense of humor whatsoever you're going to laugh out loud. The best way to describe this to parents is to quote Greg, 10, who, upon being told he'd get this book said: "GREAT! It has those funny stories and those crazy drawings. I love it!!"
How did author Jon Scieszka and illustrator hit on a book that truly appeals to ALL ages? The book is a parody, moving visually and in its text as fast as a guided missle, but never for one millisecond underestimating the intelligence of its kid -- or adult -- readership. My Special 10 Year Anniversary Edition of this book contained a "Long Lost Stupid Fairy Tale" printed under the cover, the Boy Who Cried Cow Patty, a take off of the boy who cried "Wolf." (There is a less kid friendly version of this great story circulating on the internet).
Once you open the book (and I will not give it all away) you are immediately comedically clobbered with the Little Red Hen, who can't wait until the title page is seen to start her story and is upset with the management. Fonts, page layout, are all satirized or exploited for maximum laughs. Any kid who has ever had a fairy tale read to him/her and looked at a typical fairy tale book will get the visual joke immediately. So this book is not only a book they can read but a book that will make them WANT to read MORE...and see that reading can truly be FUN.
But it's the screamingly funny text and outrageously zany illustrations that have made this book a (well-deserved) legend. Even though it contains the alleged Surgeon General's stamp-disclaimer warning that it "has been determined that these tales are fairly stupid and probably dangerous to your health" these nutty stories are anything but dangerous. The bottom line is that they're comedy-parodies that make all ages think, but don't require a degree to get the joke. The book succeeds from its bonus tale printed under its book cover to its final silly page.
Tales include Chicken Licken with its great ending (comedy coach Greg Dean writes that comedy is a "shattered assumption" and that's what we get here and it's FUN); The Princess and the Bowling Ball (take off on the Princess and the Pea); The Really Ugly Duckling (probably a truer version of this tale than has ever appeared before); the Other Frog Prince (the frog wants a kiss...but what is he??); Little Red Running Shorts; Jack's Bean Problem, Cinderumpelstiltskin; the Tortoise and the Hair; and the absolute all time classic The Stinky Cheese Man, a superb satire of the Gingerbread man with a laugh-out-loud ending.
This book SHOULD be titled "The Stinkey Cheese Man and Other Absolutely Hilarious Witty Tales." If you like satire/parody and want your kids (or you) to read an upscale Mad-type take off on fairy tales, this book is for YEW! Now my only problem is: where can I HIDE this book after the kids read it, so I can keep it for myself???
on July 10, 2000
So it's not the best role model for kids, making fun of something. But this book will have you laughing at every page. Jack, the narrator, makes everything into a joke, from the title page to the end paper. The stories are the humerous version of classic fairy tales, like "The Stinky Cheese Man" and "Little Red Running Shorts" These are the greatest stories to read out loud, and will have your listener and yourself rolling with laughter. It will have even the person who hates to read reading it. It really catches your attention. It is by far a classic book of tales. The writer is very good at making you laugh. I recommend this to people of ALL ages.
on December 16, 1999
The very first thing you should look for in a children's book is that you are still going to be entertained after you have read it for the four hundredth and seventy sixth time in two weeks. This book delivers! The first time I read it I was standing in the middle of a bookstore screaming with laughter. Every kid I know loves it and their parents have a ball reading it to them. Don't forget to read everything including the copyright. What could be better at the end of the day than to laugh with your kids?
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This children's book is a hilarious tongue-in-cheek retelling of noted fairy tales. When I first read this book I laughed and laughed (I'm over 50); but, I said to myself that little children (certainly in the age group given by the publisher and the professional reviewers) would miss most of the humor. And preschoolers would be even less able to see the humor. Thus, I began to agree with the other customer reviewers who only gave the book one or two stars. But, notice that I gave the book five stars. Look at the other comments. And look at the responses you see from children that you may come in contact with. Children really enjoy the lampooning of tales they have heard thousands of time. Let us not forget that children tend to be smarter than we may think! Lampooning has always been popular (I really don't understand the comments made by an earlier adult reviewer who thought the book was simply stupid). One of the most hilarious tales of ancient Greece was a lampoon of the "Iliad" and the "Odyssey" by Pigres entitled "The Battle of the Frogs and Mice" (also known as "Batrachomyomachia"). The humor of lampoons seem to be "over-the-head" of some adults but not over-the-head of most children! This children's book was illustrated by Lane Smith and it was a 1993 Caldecott Honor book (i.e., a runner-up to the Medal winner) for best illustrations in a book for children.
on October 15, 1998
My younger child (now 3½) loves this book. It's kind of twisted because he doesn't know the fairy tales that are being parodied, yet he still enjoys the art and stories. My 7 year old has since learned of some of the original fairy tales (as opposed to these fairly stupid tales) and gets a 2nd laugh. I've read "The Stinky Cheese Man" so many times I can recite it without looking. I love this book as much as my kids do.
on March 18, 1999
The Stinky Cheese Man has been a favorite of mine for years. I'm always amazed at the number of students who want to check it out of our school library after I've read it. The author has a gift for taking something so familiar and creating something so bizarre and entertaining from it. The kooky illustrations only serve to enhance the totally off-beat nature of the book.
on August 1, 2000
I got this book for my five year old doughter and she loves it. The first day we got it I read it to her three times in a row. I think this is an excellent book for the curious, imaginative kids who love to read stories out of the ordinary. The kids enjoy it the most because the collection of twisted tales are stories they are familiar with, stories like " chicken licken, the really ugly duckling and the stinky cheese man". I personally recomend it for children five and up and for parents of all ages.
on December 22, 2000
I thought this was one of the funniest books I've ever read for my son! It's Very different than any other story I've read out there, and entertaining as well, on both the story matter and illustrations! I think I was too busy laughing to have my son clearly understand why mommy was cracking up.....but he doesn't know how the original stories go, so he doesn't get it! I liked this book, but I'm sure theres probably more serious people who might not like each his/her own, but I do like this book!