5.0 out of 5 stars Stirring my blood!
This is The Bravery on a darker path. They've returned to a sound similar to that of their debut, The Bravery and they do so with finesse and I might add that it's synthier than the debut.

I'm going to go backwards here:
Published on December 1, 2009 by RB73

3.0 out of 5 stars There's more inside of me than skin and bones.
Published on December 11, 2009 by Jason Stein

5.0 out of 5 stars Stirring my blood!, December 1, 2009
This review is from: Stir The Blood (MP3 Music)

I'm going to go backwards here:
Sugar Pill: It's a probably the slowest song on the cd, but I enjoy it. It casts a dream like trance, as if you're NOT taking sugar pills. A dark lullaby entrancing and soothing.

Jack-O'-Lantern Man - A seriously strong song. I dig the synth and bass action on it -- as well as the ever present and enjoyable keyboards with a sweet guitar solo. Sam sings in his signature style.

Red Hands White Knuckles - This track reminds me of She Wants Revenge meets The Bravery. There's a metronome beat to it, as SWR would have, mashed up with our band here, The Bravery. I take it that it's a song about a guy trying to hold on to someone. :) I enjoy the use a child's xylophone in it.

I Have Seen the Future - Pure dance club fun from the land of Soma. Future disco, if you don't dance to this, you may want to see a doctor.

The Spectator - A slower song, but not a slow song. I think it's about a person who has only been a spectator in life and has never really participated in it. It's a deep track and it gets stuck in your head. It's kind of sad but to many people (at times myself included) it's truly how life can feel.

She's So Bendable - Probably my least favorite song in this collection and not so much because it wasn't sung by the lead. It just doesn't click for me. I'm sure the title gives you enough to work on a meaning for it. It's slow, it's a bass heavy track... I'm sure there's an audience out there for it.

I Am Your Skin - This song takes off and it's meaning is as it's titled.

Hatef--k - One of the catchiest songs in this collection. It's sang in and played in the manner as which it's meant. Aggressive, cold, dark, carnally. I almost feel guilty for loving the song!

Slow Poison - As Sam mentioned in their podcast, it's about being away from someone beloved and how it feels to be separated for so long. Sweet song.

Song for Jacob - "I don't ever want to sleep again, I wanna live till I die" I used to feel this way. "There's more inside of me than skin and bones" I think we all feel this way at times when people or society fail to appreciate us for who we are in our entirety. I love the song, it harks back to the debut in tempo and lyrically. It's a wonderful track! "This is a day that is brighter than bombs".

Adored - Let the electro begin! It's an upbeat bright song, 'we are born to be adored'. Indeed we are. It's a proper beginning to this collection.

If you were a fan of The Bravery's debut, you should enjoy this cd. It's a return the synthier, less commercially attainable Bravery. If you liked both the debut and Sun and Moon, you should like this as well. I think it's a win win in that way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Day - New Wave 80's music at it's best, December 1, 2009
This review is from: Stir The Blood (Audio CD)
I gave The Bravery's last album a poor review (see my Amazon review). So I'm not a huge Bravery fan, but I have to say this album is really good. I am a big New Order, D-Mode, and Cure Fan...If you like either of these groups and want to hear something new give this album a couple listens. This album has more synth sounds and new order/cure type tones to it.....No real comparison to their last album..Much Better!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Belated but welcome return to form, January 2, 2010
This review is from: Stir The Blood (Audio CD)
New York-based the Bravery pretty much came out of nowhere with their 2005 self-titled debut album (containing the instant classic "An Honest Mistake"). However, the 2007 follow-up album "The Sun and the Moon" was a very uneven affair that ultimately disappointed. Now comes the band's third album.

"Stir the Blood" (11 tracks; 36 min.) kicks off with a rousing "Adored", followed by an equally energetic "Song for Jacob" and it immediately feels as if the band has returned to its roots and that this album is the true follow-up release to the debut album. First single "Slow Poison" is actually not one of the strongest tracks on here. The middle section of the album consists of a threesome of more quiet, reflective tunes, consisting of "I Am Your Skin", "She's So Bendable", and "The Spectator". After that, it's back to the up-tempo, danceable tunes, and frankly the latter part of the album is the strongest: "I Have Seen the Future", "Red Hands and White Knuckles" and "Jack-O'-Lantern Man" are THE stand-out songs on here, one better than the other. "Sugar Pill" closes out the album with a dark and brooding sense. In all, this album is clearly much better than "The Sun and The Moon" and as such a nice return to form, and at 36 min. it clips by in no time and you'll find yourself playing this again and again.

That said, I found the timing of this release (early December, 2009) very curious and unfortunate as it was lost in the post-Thanksgiving and pre-Christmas holiday shuffle, and way too late in the year to get any proper consideration for the year's best-of lists (I just now had a chance to really listen to it; it would've made my top 30 of 2009 but of course it's too late for that now). I've seen the Bravery in concert before and can only hope to have an opportunity to see these guys again (are you reading this, Coachella organizers?).

4.0 out of 5 stars A return to what works, December 7, 2009
J. Loudon (Nashville, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stir The Blood (Audio CD)
The Bravery have had an interesting chronology since their first full release in March of 2005. Their first album was filled with synthesizer driven 80s rock with a modern twist. Clear influences of New Order and Duran Duran gave them an early fan base in New York and a quick following worldwide. Three years later, The Bravery followed in the footsteps of another new wave revival band, The Killers, and took the band in a somewhat new direction with their second CD, The Sun and the Moon. Although the singles "Believe" and "Time Won't Let Me Go" earned a great deal of radio play, the album as a whole suffered from a lack of direction. The upbeat and danceable tunes of the first album were gone and The Bravery seemed unable to choose a new formula for their sound.

With Stir the Blood, The Bravery have returned to form and have given many of their fans what they were expecting from their second album. The lead single, "Slow Poision," and "Song for Jacob" bring back the prominent snare and soaring keyboard fills that were essential to their early sound. For fans of their second album's rock influences, "Hatef--K" and "Jack-O'-Lantern Man" provide some carry over from The Bravery's sophomore release while adding some aspects from their rediscovered formula which make them a brilliant compromise of styles and perhaps a glimpse at the future of The Bravery.

Although The Bravery will easily regain a great deal of their original fan base with this album, there are a few weak spots. On "I Have Seen The Future," electronic effects overrun an otherwise decent tune perhaps in an effort to continue their nod to the decade they owe so much to. The other low point of the album is the final song which sounds like a long-forgotten Interpol B-side that was scrapped well before it was ever released.

For fans of remixes, a Best Buy exclusive version of the CD contains three remixes of Slow Poison which are all very different takes on the original and equally worthy of a listen. The Bravery may not have the same energy of their first album anymore, but Stir the Blood is still a great CD and a must own for any of their fans.

Similar Artists: The Killers, Rock Kills Kid

Track Suggestion: Song For Jacob

3.0 out of 5 stars There's more inside of me than skin and bones., December 11, 2009
Jason Stein (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Stir The Blood (Audio CD)
Sam Endicott and company can profess their originality all they want, but the plain facts are they have yet to do more than ape their heroes. I mean, how close to The Cure, Joy Division and Duran Duran do you want to be? They still haven't brought something fresh to the 80's New Wave revivalist scene. In fact, Sam's vocals can get downright annoying. I still feel these guys are posturing, that they don't have what it takes to transcend to the next level musically. Three albums that are all pretty much the same in sound and quality. Not bad, not great, just average. I'd rather listen to White Lies from Great Britain, or Arcade Fire from Canada, or even Interpol from New York. The Bravery really need a producer who will push them (or dress them up if they lack the talent).

"Adored", "Slow Poison", "Hatef--k", "The Spectator", "I Have Seen The Future" and "Red Hands and White Knuckles" are all decent, but lack inspiration. I liked them, they were innocuous. The standout track belongs to "Song For Jacob"--it has an interesting melody and menacing lyrics that really work to the band's strengths. "Jack-O-Lantern Man" is ho hum, and "She's So Bendable" and "Sugar Pill" felt thrown away. The best thing about The Bravery is that all of their albums are short, so it's over before you have a chance to get bored.

What I'd like to see in the future (if the band does another album) is some risk taking. The band has not produced a near perfect album yet. All of their albums are uneven, with filler tracks. The band needs to concentrate on songwriting and song structure--they have style and bravado, now they just need to back it up.

Here's how "Stir The Blood" compares to their other albums:

2005 The Bravery: Three and a Half Stars
2007 The Sun and the Moon: Three Stars
2009 Stir the Blood: Three and a Half Stars

1.0 out of 5 stars depressing and boring, February 6, 2010
S. Carlson (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stir The Blood (Audio CD)
Nothing like the first two. Bought it for my husband and we were totally bummed. We saw them in concert with the last 2 cd's but this one is just depressing and boring.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, May 22, 2013
Excellent album, returning to their roots. the remix selections were not necessary, however a nice added bonus. Recommended for 80's synth fans

4.0 out of 5 stars strong 3rd album, April 8, 2013
This review is from: Stir The Blood (Audio CD)
The bravery is one of those bands that are good but you wish they could be better. Sure this band picks up alot of inspiration from 80s groups like the cure, new order, duran duran, etc but the bravery tend to do their own style. Since their debut album the bravery seems to have one big song for example from their debut the hit song was "An Honest Mistake" their sophomore effort "Time Wont Let Me Go" on "Stir The Blood" the band has a little more catchy songs then their previous album which is why this album is better then the previous. Stir The Blood does have a hard hitter and is my favorite song on here, a song called "I am Your Skin" which is possibly their best song. There are other strong songs on here the opener "ADORED" "SONG FOR JACOB", "SLOW POISON" are some of the albums highlights. Stir the blood is a stronger album then their previous effort and thats always a good thing. If you have enjoyed the bands first two albums then this is a good follow up and should be part of your collection. I give this album 4 stars only because some of the songs later on the album do start to lack and it sounds like some songs were pushed to be there or as if the band ran out of ideas. If i could i would give it 3 1/2 but 4 is reasonable because its not an okay album its a cd that you like and you want to love but something in the band and the album doesnt let you do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite bands =, September 29, 2012
This review is from: Stir The Blood (Audio CD)
I like this CD. The Bravery is such a great band. I wish they would put a new album. It's like they fell of the face of the earth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, and a very strong effort, August 19, 2010
This review is from: Stir The Blood (Audio CD)
I've enjoyed the Bravery ever since I discovered their track "Believe" and it shot to the top of my playlists, securing its place as my all time favorite. However, despite enjoying most of their self-titled debut album, and thought (along with many others) "The Sun and the Moon" to be a bit disappointing. After I heard that a new album would be coming out, I excitedly listened to the singles as they were released, but save for the awkwardly titled "Hatef**k," did not really enjoy them (and although I thought Hatef**k to be darkly catchy, the Hindert-directed music video that hit YouTube was enough to severely creep me out).

Still, I wanted to give this album a chance, so I snagged it the day it was released and gave it a listen, while playing Forza 3 on a frigid winter day in my college apartment. I must say that I really enjoyed it.

Like most albums, I don't like EVERY song on Stir the Blood. Again, the two singles "Sugar Pill" and "Slow Poison" don't really suit me, but I really enjoy "I Am Your Skin," "Hatef**k," "I Have Seen the Future," and "Red Hands and White Knuckles." The Bravery has really done a good job putting an eclectic mix on here and I think it is a notable improvement from The Sun and the Moon, though "Believe" is still the most solid song they have made, in my opinion.

This album was a welcome return to form by the Bravery and I definitely enjoy it.

Stir The Blood
Stir The Blood by The Bravery (Audio CD - 2009)
Rate and Discover Movies