5.0 out of 5 stars Edgy, Crisp, Power Pop

Published 3 months ago by Fogerty Fanatic

5.0 out of 5 stars Edgy, Crisp, Power Pop, June 10, 2014
Mr. Truthteller (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stockholm (Audio CD)
Chrissie Hynde comes out swinging in this album and does not let up for the first six songs. After that the album cools down a little but still retains it's beauty and grace with "Adding the Blue" an excellent closer. The only song that did not do much for me is "Tourniquet" but that may be because I felt it was a bit out of place on this album. Otherwise, this album is all Chrissie Hynde at her best. A real treat and I would rank it above the last several Pretenders albums with the exception of Break up the Concrete.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely done Chrissie!, June 11, 2014
This review is from: Stockholm (Audio CD)
So more ****1/2 than five stars but for her first solo album Chrissie delivers big time. There are no surprises here except for Neil Young laying down some tasty guitar work on Down The Wrong Way, but that is what makes this album so special, is that it sounds like prime time Chrissie Hynde! Some of my other favorites are House of Cards, Like In The Movies, and Dark Sunglasses, but this is an album you can just let play all the way through! She sounds young and fresh again (got that spark back) and she looks fantastic! This is how I wished all female rock stars would age and she still has that bad ass look and sound laced with the right amount of elegant flair! Nicely done Chrissie, indeed!

4.0 out of 5 stars You Won't Be Neutral, June 10, 2014
This review is from: Stockholm (MP3 Music)
Never was a big Pretenders fan, but always liked them. Chrissie Hynde is one of the more iconic women in rock and after years of hanging on to what remained of her band in various forms she's finally stepping out with an officially designated solo release, supported by Neil Young and- believe it or not- John McEnroe! And he did a good job, too.

Hynde's voice remains distinct and strong; she never misses a note. Musically it's the kind of stuff I like: bluesy-based and upbeat featuring lots of bass and rock solid drumming you can't help but notice. Right from the start of the first track, "You or No One", you're gonna feel 'em. The groove continues right into the second track, "Dark Sunglasses". "Like in the Movies" is like a more upbeat "Celluloid Heroes." My personal favorite's probably "Down the Wrong Way"- a solid music groove. Nothing really special, but right my speed- especially with Young's riffing and trademark rumble fadeout. The opening strains of the finale "Adding The Blue" remind you of Supertramp's Give a Little Bit.

I like it. It'll having you nodding your head and humming along. It recalls that classic 80s Pretenders stuff but still uniquely Hynde, even though for a solo joint it doesn't take any risks. Not great, but not bad either.

5.0 out of 5 stars You cannot give this a 1 star!, June 20, 2014
This review is from: Stockholm (Audio CD)
Seriously!!! It's very good. Great production quality, great songwriting and the voice.... CH is one of a few that you can spin and everyone knows the voice even if they've never heard the music. It couldn't hurt that the collaboration is with John from Peter Bjorn and John. This isn't my favorite CH effort but its up there. I'm not looking for a rehash of the first few Pretenders albums. Those albums can't be topped; they were from a time when the radio stations in the US were playing utter crap (and it's only gotten worse!!). I'd rather hear what this time-honored rock veteran can put out there for us to enjoy. Not a 60+ year old rocker trying to warble her throat out and fit into hiphop inspired make up and clothing. I will never grow tired listening to her voice. Blondie, Siouxsie Sioux and other aging female rockers can't hold the notes like Chrissie. So buy it and support this artist. I'd really give this cd 4.5 stars but the 1 star review lelft here made me want to counter that horrible mistake of a review. Thus the 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome album, June 16, 2014
80s dude "md" (somewhere in NewEngland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stockholm (Audio CD)
Chrissie Hynde has an amazing voice and this album proves it. I can listen to most of the songs over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars great album, June 20, 2014
This review is from: Stockholm (Vinyl)
I bought the vinyl which on amazon comes with a free download of the album and the vinyl itself comes with a CD of the album so I got this on 3 formats for under 20 bucks a steal indeed !!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Just So-So, June 16, 2014
This review is from: Stockholm (Audio CD)
Right now, rock and roll needs a swift kick in the ass. I've greatly admired Chrissie Hynde from the moment I first heard her on the Pretenders' debut LP. Unfortunately, for me anyway, this CD falls flat. I've listened to this CD three times and every tune pretty much recycles the same mid-tempo, laid back feeling. None of these songs carry the sense of urgency that I was hoping to hear. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad CD by any stretch, but just too mellow for my personal tastes.

5.0 out of 5 stars better late than never, June 10, 2014
This review is from: Stockholm (Audio CD)
Perfect "1st solo" effort, waiting was worth it... relevant, crisp and utterly Chrissie cool. ^s never looked so cool too !

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a steal at under 10 bucks !, June 18, 2014
This review is from: Stockholm (Audio CD)
If you've ever enjoyed Chrissie Hynde this will not disappoint. Not sure if anyone has mentioned "A plan to far" in their review but it has a spaghetti western flair that would fit into a sergio leone classic western. "In a Miracle" has an Aimee Mann sorta flair to the vocal and theres nothing wrong with that in my book. "You're the one" has a nice horn section to
it. "Sweet Nuthin' " has a Motown kinda sound to it. There's no track I would skip over while listening. Great to hear new material from a veteran rocker. Long may she reign :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay, June 26, 2014
This review is from: Stockholm (Audio CD)
I love her stuff with the Pretenders. Even her weakest cd with/as the Pretenders (Packed) has more to offer than this cd. Her voice is still supple, but the songs are not up to par. She is so much more talented than what is reflected here. Anyway, if your an honest fan then you will buy it and say here voice is still great, but the music is just okay. If your not a fan, then skip it and look into any of the Pretenders CD's.

Stockholm
Stockholm by Chrissie Hynde (Audio CD - 2014)
Rate and Discover Movies