Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 10, 2014
Chrissie Hynde comes out swinging in this album and does not let up for the first six songs. After that the album cools down a little but still retains it's beauty and grace with "Adding the Blue" an excellent closer. The only song that did not do much for me is "Tourniquet" but that may be because I felt it was a bit out of place on this album. Otherwise, this album is all Chrissie Hynde at her best. A real treat and I would rank it above the last several Pretenders albums with the exception of Break up the Concrete.
on June 11, 2014
So more ****1/2 than five stars but for her first solo album Chrissie delivers big time. There are no surprises here except for Neil Young laying down some tasty guitar work on Down The Wrong Way, but that is what makes this album so special, is that it sounds like prime time Chrissie Hynde! Some of my other favorites are House of Cards, Like In The Movies, and Dark Sunglasses, but this is an album you can just let play all the way through! She sounds young and fresh again (got that spark back) and she looks fantastic! This is how I wished all female rock stars would age and she still has that bad ass look and sound laced with the right amount of elegant flair! Nicely done Chrissie, indeed!
on June 16, 2014
Right now, rock and roll needs a swift kick in the ass. I've greatly admired Chrissie Hynde from the moment I first heard her on the Pretenders' debut LP. Unfortunately, for me anyway, this CD falls flat. I've listened to this CD three times and every tune pretty much recycles the same mid-tempo, laid back feeling. None of these songs carry the sense of urgency that I was hoping to hear. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad CD by any stretch, but just too mellow for my personal tastes.
66 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2014
Seriously!!! It's very good. Great production quality, great songwriting and the voice.... CH is one of a few that you can spin and everyone knows the voice even if they've never heard the music. It couldn't hurt that the collaboration is with John from Peter Bjorn and John. This isn't my favorite CH effort but its up there. I'm not looking for a rehash of the first few Pretenders albums. Those albums can't be topped; they were from a time when the radio stations in the US were playing utter crap (and it's only gotten worse!!). I'd rather hear what this time-honored rock veteran can put out there for us to enjoy. Not a 60+ year old rocker trying to warble her throat out and fit into hiphop inspired make up and clothing. I will never grow tired listening to her voice. Blondie, Siouxsie Sioux and other aging female rockers can't hold the notes like Chrissie. So buy it and support this artist. I'd really give this cd 4.5 stars but the 1 star review left here made me want to counter that horrible mistake of a review. Thus the 5 stars.
VINE VOICEon June 10, 2014
Never was a big Pretenders fan, but always liked them. Chrissie Hynde is one of the more iconic women in rock and after years of hanging on to what remained of her band in various forms she's finally stepping out with an officially designated solo release, supported by Neil Young and- believe it or not- John McEnroe! And he did a good job, too.

Hynde's voice remains distinct and strong; she never misses a note. Musically it's the kind of stuff I like: bluesy-based and upbeat featuring lots of bass and rock solid drumming you can't help but notice. Right from the start of the first track, "You or No One", you're gonna feel 'em. The groove continues right into the second track, "Dark Sunglasses". "Like in the Movies" is like a more upbeat "Celluloid Heroes." My personal favorite's probably "Down the Wrong Way"- a solid music groove. Nothing really special, but right my speed- especially with Young's riffing and trademark rumble fadeout. The opening strains of the finale "Adding The Blue" remind you of Supertramp's Give a Little Bit.

I like it. It'll having you nodding your head and humming along. It recalls that classic 80s Pretenders stuff but still uniquely Hynde, even though for a solo joint it doesn't take any risks. Not great, but not bad either.
88 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2016
The Pretenders may have originated in Britain, but Hynde’s Akron, Ohio grittiness grounded their recordings with a punk attitude that persisted through all the shifts in lineups, as various band members quit, were fired, or OD’d. That attitude apparently has served her well; now 64, Hynde is a survivor, now delivering a long-anticipated solo release. And Stockholm picks right up where The Pretenders left off, except with additional adult nuances. Hynde’s rebelliousness is still there, but the wisdom of years gives her an added authority. The music may be just a little bit mellower, but the messages are the same – independence and belief in self, even when the romances don’t work out quite the way one expects. The best track is “Dark Sunglasses,” wherein Chrissie disses a former friend / lover / musician(?) who’s gone over to the corporate side, complete with trophy wife, living “inside the ruling classes, wasted, behind [his] dark sunglasses.” It’s “Precious” revisited, 35 years later, and Chrissie still brings her guarded idealism to every note.
on November 16, 2014
After such a long wait, I have to say this just isn't my favorite Chrissie work. The songwriting seems a little tired and overbaked. The production values to my ear remained pretty consistent with previous work, but none of the songs really stood out, and none of them has ended up on my playlists. Her voice sounds great, and the recordings are flawless, performances good. Just nothing connected emotionally somehow. I'll keep listening. Maybe later I'll change and something will grab me. I want to like it.
on December 4, 2014
This is not a New Pretenders album! While someone would think that as she is the leader of that great band it would/should sound like that, it is not the case. This is a Solo album that is exceptionally produced, is well written and well performed. The songs were written (with one exception) by Chrissie Hynde and someone named Bjorn Yttling and recorded in Stockholm. The album flows nicely with the exceptional songs and production. The songs which stand out are: Dark Sunglasses, Down the Wrong Way (with killer Crazy Horse sounding guitar provided by Neil Young), the tender "Tourniquet", Sweet Nuthin' and Adding the Blue. Having seen Chrissie live two weeks ago, she has still got it! Get this album!
VINE VOICEon March 28, 2015
I love Chrissie's first ever solo record. Not a dud on the entire album. She's a rock icon. Enough said. This review is about the LP edition of this release. Great sound quality, awesome attention to design and packaging, and truly one of the most strikingly awesome colored vinyl discs I have ever laid eyes on. A must for vinyl lovers!
VINE VOICEon July 20, 2014
I don't get what the carping is about other than the drums sound a little weird, and it's a mildly different ambience than you'd get out of a Pretenders disc. But this is really a huge improvement over that duet disc with the skater brained moron of recent years. I like the record, the songs are solid and Hynde is in fine form. The disc rocks and has enough vitriol to it that you'll never forget theis is a Chrissie Hynde project. Well done.