5.0 out of 5 stars Great Rifle, just right
I've got mine in .177. The stock scope is a good 'un, but doesn't have mil dots, so you'll have to estimate pellet drop on your own.

Published 6 months ago by Smaug

3.0 out of 5 stars The good and the bad
First the bad:
Published on July 22, 2011 by J. Stokes

3.0 out of 5 stars The good and the bad, July 22, 2011
This review is from: Stoeger Arms X20 Breakbarrel Air Rifle Combo air rifle (Misc.)
First the bad:
Had to send the first one back. Used 3 brands of pellets (Crossman, GWS, and Gamo's) and 6 styles and the first one couldn't hit anything you aimed at. Easily 6 inches off, not consistent, at 17 yards no matter what I did - rest/no rest, artillery hold, sand bag, blah blah. (Please don't tell me I didn't shoot it right; take a look at the Guns and Ammo article/review of the Stoeger X20 July 2010 [...]) Took off the scope and tried open sights. Had to adjust the rear sight all the way left - it really looked strange and could not get it to fire straight as well. Must have had a bum gun. Sent it back and received the replacement. Initially, I was very disappointed. Slightly better than the first gun, but still at least 3 inch grouping at 17 yards. Did a thorough internet search and watched some very informative YouTube videos. I then took it to a local gun shop to ask for some advice. They asked all of the same questions I was asking myself and then sold me some Beeman Crow Magnum pellets to try. I tried one more time to sight this thing in. Some adjustments to the scope and "voila", it was now shooting about a ¾" group at 17 yards.
So, I decided to see if the gun would now perform with the other styles and brands of pellets that I had. I made no further adjustments to the scope. I took each and did a 5 shot trial from 17 yards and here are the results:
Gamo Magnum - 3.5 inch spread, Gamo Match, 2.2 inch spread, GWS super point, 2.3 inch spread and way left, Gamo master point, 2.5 inch spread, Crossman (older K-mart specials) 1.1 inch spread and to the right, Gamo Hunter, 2.1 inch spread, but vertically aligned, and finally, I tried the Beeman Crow Mangnum pellets one more time, .75 inch spread and pretty much right on.

Now the good:
This is a solid rifle, well built and designed. Looks great too. The optics on the scope are also very good. After my first rifle did so poorly, I sent it back to Amazon and they exchanged it no problem; Bravo Amazon. Once this thing got sighted in and I found the right pellets, I took it out and immediately removed a pernicious vertebrate pest on the first shot.
I think this will be a keeper, however, I will only be able to use one kind/brand of pellet if I want it to shoot straight (well, duh) I am only rating this 3 stars because of all of the hours I spent trying to get this right. Stoeger ought to have some kind of instructions with the gun to assist with this kind of problem. There are no tutorials or methods of assistance on their web site and their phone tree is frustrating. So, the good with the bad averages to a 3 star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Rifle, just right, January 24, 2014
Smaug "Jeremy" (Round Lake Beach, IL United States) - See all my reviews

I get about 1" groups at 50 yards with Crosman Premier Light pellets, 7.9 gr. I think you can get a version of this pellet with the hollow points at Wal-Mart. JSB pellets of the same weight shoot almost as tight, but are much cleaner, since they're pure lead, instead of a lead/antimony alloy.

I took one rabbit with mine: 20 yard head shot from a kneeling position. He flipped over, kicked for maybe 10 sec. (nerve synapses still firing) then expired. I went out into the back yard, picked him up, brought him in, cleaned him, and grilled him for dinner that night. Yum! My wife came home, smelled it cooking, and said: "Wow, that smells wonderful! What is it?" > "Rabbit." > "Oh, you got a frozen one at Garden Fresh?" > "No." > "Where then?" > "The back yard, with the air rifle." > "I want nothing to do with it. What's the MATTER with you?" :-\ I'm not sure how that logic works. it has also taken a chipmunk and a sparrow so far.

The previous reviewer who said it needs break-in is absolutely right. Also, it needs and aftermarket trigger. Google 'GRT III trigger', buy that, and install it. It is worth its weight in gold. Also, learn how to hold a spring piston air rifle properly. It needs to be held loosely against the shoulder, and just supported from underneath loosely too.

Here's my shot data after break-in:

Pellet Weight, gr. Velocity, fps
JSB Exact RS 7.3 926
Beeman Pointed 8.3 876
RWS Superdome 8.3 907
JSB Exact Heavy 10.2 793

The gun's favorite pellets are, in order:

1) Crosman Premier Light
2) JSB Exact
3) Beeman Kodiak
4) RWS Superdome

In addition to this gun, I also have a Benjamin Marauder .177, HW30S .177, Crosman 2300T, Daisy 747, Daisy 953, RWS 56TH, and a Modified Crosman 1377.

This one is my favorite rifle, in a three-way tie with the Marauder and 953. (all for different purposes)

You just have to break it in with a tin or so of pellets, then feed it decent pellets, and learn the Artillery Hold. (look it up)

My fancy German HW30s and 56TH are not as good as this Chinese one. The trigger on the HW30s let loose on me, and the 56TH breaks scopes or shakes them loose.

The Marauder is more powerful and more accurate, but also more expensive and requires support gear. The 953 is a lower-power target rifle, but very easy to shoot. Relaxing, good trigger, and no maintenance.

They make a "Suppressor" model now. I haven't tried that one, but it sounds like a good concept.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good shot, June 26, 2011
Miguel (Modesto, Ca, United States) - See all my reviews
It's a real good air gun, Once you calibrate the scope you are set. Good power too.
The only Down part is its a bit heavy

4.0 out of 5 stars very good quality, March 5, 2013
I had used someone else's rifle and chose to buy one for myself. It shoot's very well, and is easy to use. A good value!

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad machining where rifle action comes together., March 17, 2012
X20s, opened the box and was very happy with such an attractive rifle. Clean lines, solid feel, and good machining all around (Almost) except the barrel would not close all the way. It sat high due to some leftover buggery metal from the casting process that was right above where one inserts the pellet. The o-ring air gasket could not make full contact and it caused the barrel to point slightly downwards. I cannot say for sure but I would suspect there was air leakage upon firing. I see no reason to try for warranty or repair. I'm over it. I was tempted to break out a file and make it right but why chance it, I'm getting a refund and trying something else.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, could be worse..., May 18, 2014
I wasn't sure whether to rate this gun at 4 or 3 stars so just that fact that I wasn't sure made me go with the lower rating.
It's heavy, bulky, and noisy. They say that you have to fire a few dozen rounds or more before you can really get accurate and that seems to be the case. At first, I couldn't hit a rabbit if it was licking my nose. Now, I can knock a squirrel or bird out of a tree at 20 yards pretty easy. I have to use high-quality ammo or it's not that great.
Scope seems nice, but a little excessive for a little pellet gun. Plus, the adjustments for the scope are on the outside and not covered by the typical screw on caps. This is convenient, but if you bump them at all, or rest it on your shoulder while you're walking like I do, you're scope will be shooting low and 8 inches to the left before you know it.
Also, the plastic cover on the front of the barrel, whatever it's called, came loose after 60 or so shots and I had to re-tighten it. Now if I ever wanted to take the scope off, I'd need to carefully readjust the front sight. Then the plastic case that covers the front sight busted off when I bumped it on a tree. Not vital to anything, but it was annoying how easy it broke.
Overall, 300+ shots later and not that bad. A few quirks, but an accurate, affordable gun in the end.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stoeger X20 is JUNK, June 12, 2013
I just received my Stoeger X20 Suppressor Black Stock Scope Combo today and man am I disappointed! First of all I have never in my life had my finger on a trigger as crappy as this one. It's hard to tell if the accessory is really any good although I'm sure it would be much better with a descent trigger. The way it is, you can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. The clank and jerk of the air piston is so bed it makes the suppressor void. And then there is the scope. It is out of focuses at any and all ranges. The light is off side and only illuminates the right side of the radical. As for the bore sight of the scope, all the screws were louse so even if it was sighted in, it wasn't sighted in. I've sighted in many a scope so this is an easy fix but what to do about the out of focuses problem... I've had better $5 scopes! The illumination is off as well and I don't know what to do about that. All and all, I am VERY VERY dissatisfied with this gun! I've never had a rifle I would call Junk but this one is just that, JUNK!
Very upset

5.0 out of 5 stars X-10 review after 8 mo. of use, April 7, 2012
I traded some black powder pistols 8 mo. ago for this gun. I am extremely pleased. I own a Ruger 10/22, Glock 23 gen4, and a Taurus Circuit Judge 410/.45 and my X10 has a place along side my firearms. This gun shoots all pellets and weights at 32yrds right on the money with great penetration. I have shot Crosman High Velocity lead free at 31yrds and was able to hit the target. As I said I am extremely pleased.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Gun, April 30, 2012
I got this gun in April 2012 and after reading reviews maybe Stoeger has changed some things but I find this gun to be outstanding for the price. It is built like a hunting rifle, heavy duty, sturdy like it should be. Shot great right out of the box. I took the scope off and sighted it in with the open sights and only had to make slight adjustments. With the scope back on this gun is a beast. I am shooting groups I would have never believed possible with a pellet gun. You have to remember that these guns are designed to shoot a heavier grained pellet. Anything under 8 grains you are wasting your time. The RWS superdome 8.3 grain pellet is the best so far. Make sure you get match grade ammo or it will shoot all over the place, any gun would. The only negative about this gun is the trigger. It is way to heavy for any gun, especially a pellet gun so I ordered the charliedatuna GRT-III trigger. I think the trigger on any pellet gun is going to be too heavy, they do it for safety reasons so plan on getting a different one. I highly doubt there is another pellet gun that could out shoot this gun for the money. UPDATE: I had the gun for about 3 weeks and it started shooting funny. Come to find out the scope had broke. I started reading to find that this is very common after you shoot several hundred rounds through them. I returned it and got a Gamo Whisper which has been great.

Stoeger Arms X20 Breakbarrel Air Rifle Combo air rifle