4.0 out of 5 stars i have 2 of these. not for kids under 2 yrs
Published on June 21, 2009 by Miss Spellin

1.0 out of 5 stars My Stokke baby rail broke
My Stokke baby rail broke. Please be aware before purchasing this high chair, that there are safer (and less-expensive) options out there. I thought I was giving my daughter the best by purchasing a "top-of-the-line" high chair, but I was really putting her in danger.

Published on July 30, 2008 by E. Seep

4.0 out of 5 stars i have 2 of these. not for kids under 2 yrs, June 21, 2009
This review is from: Stokke Tripp Trapp Highchair - Natural (Baby Product)
I have 2 children who are 2 years apart in age. I bought one chair when my oldest was 2 1/2-ish and I needed the highchair he was still using for my then nine month old daughter. I have a small home and only enough space for a breakfast table. I needed the extra chairs for guests. So it was worth it to me to buy an additional chair for my child. Also, I read one reviewer who said that kids will squirm less and be interested in their food if the chair they sit it fits them well. I found that to be true. My kids are now 6 and 4. Each of them has a Stokke chair that fits them well AND that they have always been able to climb into and out of themselves. I think this is important for their sense of self reliance.

I have two complaints and they are small (and this is why fours stars instead of five): 1) the sticker on the back with the warnings is ugly and has to be removed with goo gone takes a good half hour. 2) the straps never worked right, I never used them and eventually took them off. I could not adjust them properly and the kids would struggle to get out for only the reason that they felt confined. Both of my kids have fallen out of their seats without injury- I believe this is part of childhood and they learn very quickly to sit properly. The seat itself has never toppled- EVER.

Because I found the straps useless I recommend that you not use this seat until the child is able to climb up on his or her own- like at age 2 or more. These chairs are pricey but the cost of replacing or repairing our nice dining chair (which is part of a matched set) after it is scratched/stained from having a booster seat attached to it is probably comparable.

My advice is this: spend your money on the items that you use everyday- seats like these, rockingchairs/furnishings, quality cribs and sheets, quality adaptive equipment like stools and toilet inserts. Get things that will hold up and feel secure for children to use. The added benefit is that when you are done with them and have enjoyed using them they have life left in them and you can sell them for a fair price at your next garage sale, or on craigslist, or hand them off with pride to someone else etc. The chairs are durable and look brand new still.

ps. I don't have the cushions. Just one more thing to wash. I don't feel they are necessary for comfort or anything.

8/29/12 update:

Still in the same tiny house and still using the Stokkes chairs. Kids are now 7 and 9. I've offered to have them sit in the regular dining chair but they refuse! We just keep adjusting the foot rests for their growth. The chairs have held up beautifully. My daughter pushes her Stokke chair over to her electric piano for her lessons she likes it better than the piano bench because she sits higher and her feet don't dangle. An unexpected benefit! I upgraded to five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long-time user, April 17, 2007
We received a Tripp Trapp chair 25 years ago when my daughter was a toddler struggling to reach the table, sink, and anything else high up. Over the course of the years we bought another one for a subsequent child, used them at the dining table, let the kids work at the sink, adjusted them to adult seating as they grew, etc.

Now my grandchildren are arriving, and they sit in their parents' old chairs (which still look beautiful) when they visit, and use new ones in their own home. The chairs are sturdy, comfortable, adjustable, and long-lived. Yes, they cost money, but this is a case of investing in something of high quality which will last for many years. Buying one of these early on will avoid the need to invest in other seating devices which don't last nearly as well, thus needing replacement.

4.0 out of 5 stars For less $, I'd like it more, December 14, 2009
Hobbes (Fargo, North Dakota) - See all my reviews
This chair calls to the yuppie crowd, and I understand. Not long after our daughter was born, we had our fill of the plastic-Pooh-jungle decor. My wife bought this chair, and after seeing the price, I expected to loathe it. However, the chair looks better than I expected. It is smaller than I thought it would be, pulling up to the table in no more space than one of our other chairs. While the construction is not furniture quality (some easy assembly required), the nuts and bolts are well designed. Specifically, the bolts can be tightened and loosened without fear that the chair will weaken with each turn of the included allen wrench tool. As an aside, Stokke kept shipping material to a bare minimum, and yet the parts arrived unblemished.

What I don't like about this chic baby feeder are the straps to hold the baby in the chair. They are somewhat difficult to adjust, and they are even more difficult to use with the baby set accessory. As elegant as the rest of this chair is, the straps look completely out of place. Like some dude just shot a single screw through a bunch of nylon straps and called it good. Also, the baby set is cheap looking and cheap feeling, but not cheap. It is made out of hard plastic that doesn't look comfortable, but a comfortable cushion is available separately for another $40. For what kind of highchair must one purchase an "optional" accessory to accomodate a baby? Was that not the point in buying the highchair in the first place? At least the up front investment, though galling, eases over time.

December 2010 - we've now had the Stokke for over a year now, and I do really like the adjustable seat/footrest. The Stokke keeps our toddler at the perfect level at the table, and we will not need to buy a booster chair to replace the high chair. When in my parents' high chair, our daughter now seems too high and far away from the table.

December 2011 - My daughter is 2.5 years old now and still using this chair. She's been crawling up into the chair by herself and crawling back down for the last year. Because of the design, she can push the chair away from the table without fear that it will tip over (wood floors). Given the longevity of this chair and its versatility, it has earned at least another half star from me. It is holding up very well and it is easy to clean.

1.0 out of 5 stars My Stokke baby rail broke, July 30, 2008

The flimsy, plastic baby rail which attaches to the seat of the chair via a think clip broke in half when my infant daughter leaned forward in the chair. My daughter then tumbled forward, hitting her head on the table in front of her and getting caught up in the harness. I do not think the baby rail was manufactured with the safety of children in mind, and I want to warn other parents before they make the same mistake.

Despite repeatedly calling and even sending pictures of the defective product, the company has refused to refund my purchase. When I called, the customer service representative mentioned that they have seen this happen on numerous occasions. So, why is this product still on the market?!

My anger regarding my child's fall as a result of this poorly-designed product and Stokke's complete disregard for the safety of the children it sells to has prompted me to write this review and warn others of the danger of the plastic baby rail that accompanies the Stokke high chair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly for my 5.5 month baby, August 23, 2007
I've noticed that most of the reviewers seem to be addressing using this for toddlers, but I am having great success with my infant. We selected this chair (in bright orange) for our baby registry (Thanks, Grandma!), and I have just set it up because I'm starting our baby on solid foods. We use the baby rail and the cushions and harness, and it works beautifully! She seems to be quite comfortable, and fits perfectly on the smallest suggested settings for the seat and foot support. The baby rail fits right up under the tabletop, and with a placemat in front of her, there has been very little mess to clean up (so far, but then I'm the one doing the feeding right now). It's so easy to push her away from the table when she's done eating rather than fighting with a tray, and I love having her sitting right at the table with us during meals. I'm very happy with the chair, and even more pleased that I don't have to use one of those ugly plastic things. The tripp-trapp is also lightweight enough that I can easily take her from the dining room into the kitchen where she can watch me while I work. The only thing I would change would be that the harness does have a little difficulty staying up on her shoulders, so I'm going to make a little cincher to keep it in place between her shoulder blades. I bet it fits better on larger children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this chair! Almost didn't buy it., September 14, 2013
This review is from: Stokke Tripp Trapp Highchair - Natural (Baby Product)
We bought this chair about a month ago when our son turned 6 months and really started to get interested in eating. As I was getting ready to order it, I started reading reviews and almost didn't buy it because of the tipping warnings, the warnings about the straps, and the warnings about the faulty baby set. However, we decided to go ahead and buy it (and the baby set) with the plan that we would see how it felt and return it if necessary. I put it together when it got here (easy!) and tried and tried to get it to tip without any success. Granted, we have wood floors, so it just kept pushing back (maybe you could tip it if you had flooring that had more friction). The baby set didn't get here for awhile, so we just used the straps and they were fine (they take some adjusting), and we'll be returning the seemingly unnecessary baby set. I am not typically a review writer, but because we came so close to not ordering it and have since been so pleased with it, I decided to chime in.

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning To All Parents!, January 25, 2009
I don't know how this chair has passed so many safety standards. They must not test it on carpet and with all table types because our son pushed himself back from the table today and the chair flipped backwards. He hit his head on a console table that was behind him, which was actually probably a good thing because it helped slow the momentum, but then he did hit the floor. It was the most horrifying thing for us so far. He is 11 1/2 months old. Please be warned that if it even seems like your child can push off the table with this chair do not use it.

This thing is going to be torn apart and put out with the trash.

In all fairness I must update this review...I am a huge proponent of parents taking responsibility for their children and after further review we saw in the downloadable safety information on this chair that there is indeed a tipping possibility if the chair is on certain surfaces and if they can reach a certain part of the table. So please, please make sure you do not fall into this category before buying this chair.

If you are in the safe zone then I will have to say you may just love the chair as we did before the fall.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Tripp Trapps tipping over!, December 26, 2009
We bought this chair a little under a year ago. Our 22mo daughter tipped over backwards in it and her head went slamming to the hard tile floor which landed us in the ER. I'm at a loss as to a better option since this chair came so highly rated, but we will not be using it anymore. My daughter is very petite, only 20lbs and still managed to do it. We were both seated at the table with her and couldn't grab her in time because it happened so fast. I'm horrified to think what could have happened to her fragile little skull and brain. Just Google "tripp trapp tipping" and see the YouTube video of the infant tipping. The same thing could happen in any of the belt-on toddler boosters that strap to a regular dining chair. Hoping this review will prevent at least a few more tippings. It was very scary.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2007: I love it! Update in 2009: Still like a lot, but 1 small issue keeps me from "loving" it., March 8, 2007
maddie's mom (philadelphia, pa) - See all my reviews
i took a chance and splurged on this item and we are very happy with it. my daughter is 8 months - so we've been using it for 2. she seems very comfy in it (we got the baby rail which seems to be essential, but not the cushion). we removed one of the table chairs and her tripp trapp goes right up to the table. she loves being at the table with us when she eats and i think in the long run it will her with table manners, feeling involved, etc. it is a very sturdy piece made of solid wood and there are no nooks/crannies where food gets stuck. i'm sure we'll end up buying one for each of our children when they are born as these chairs seems like they will last a lifetime. oh, and its pretty easy to put together although we did have a problem at first b/c one of hte screws wouldn't go into the hole all the way. i called stokke and they said they were surprised, never heard of that before and sent a new back piece out in a day or two which worked perfectly. all in all i would definately recommend splurging on this seat if you can rather than having a bulky, bright colored plastic thing that your baby will probaly only use for 6 or so months.

Update Nov 2009 (almost 2 years later):
Still really like this chair, but seriously cannot believe how much this has gone up in price in 2 years. ridiculous! when i purhcased it was standard $200 + $30 for the bucket seat. Anyways, i'm updating review becuase both of my kids have been able to lift their legs up on the table and kick off the table. my daughter flew back 2x, once hitting her head on hardwood flooring. 2nd time (and also for my son), we learned to put the chair in front of a wall so if they kick off they hit the wall very close to them and cant flip backwards. i called customer service and they said they've never heard of this beofre becuase they are designed to NOT flip back. well, i don't believe that...my daughter is SO cautious and not one to climb on antying or do anything very risky. again, i really like the chair, easy to clean and looks great, but just be aware of our problem so your little ones dont bang their heads.

1.0 out of 5 stars not all it should be for the price, June 25, 2008
I agree that this item is well made and is attractive. Our son does enjoy sitting in chair at the table, but this item's usefulness ends there.

First off, you have to buy not only the chair, but also the guard rail and the cushion, which brings the total costs for a simple high chair to well over $300.

The main drawback is that you can't bring the chair with you into other parts of the house. I can't talk about how often I have really needed to set my son in a high chair in the kitchen while I get dinner ready or straightn up. You can't do this with the Tripp Trapp chair--it has to be in the dining room next to the table, since it has no tray.

Now that our son is starting to wean and learning to feed himself, and therefore making a right mess, sling food and juice and milk all over the place, I really need to have the chair in the kitchen, where it is much easier to clean up.

Finally, I think that the way this item is marketed is extremely dishonest. In many descriptions, it is sold as a chair "a child can grow with," that is, they will be able to use it as a booster until they are big enough to sit in an adult chair. But in order to do this, you must take off all the hardware that holds the harness in place, which is going to cause nasty gouges in the wood. It will no longer be attractive then!

Save your money and buy a $25 deal you can move around the house.

Stokke Tripp Trapp Highchair - Natural