5.0 out of 5 stars love hate relationship...
Published 22 months ago by Claire

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's the next book!
If you liked the first book you'll like the second book. The ending left me going that's it, there's another book coming out right? Right! because there is no way that where the author can leave it.
Published 9 months ago by Sarah Casel

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars love hate relationship..., February 6, 2013
This review is from: Stolen Nights: A Vampire Queen Novel (Paperback)
Just to start out with, I LOVED this book, but I also hated it. I hated the ending. I LOVED everything up until Lenah made her final decision with the Aeris. Then the water works started. I just finished the book about 10 mins ago and I'm STILL crying! I just can't believe it, or accept that as an ending. So if there isn't a third book to finish/continue this series I will be so mad and so disappointed.

SPOILER ALERT....sorta.

If Lenah and Rhode don't end up together(they are soulmates, they have to be together!) in the third book(hopefully there is one) I don't know what I'd do. I'd cry a lot, that's for sure.

Overall, I did love this book and would definitely recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Maizel Winner!, January 30, 2013
Rebecca Maizel writes with such a unique voice -- she has an amazing ability to weave strong themes and storylines with compelling characters, all in a setting that's familiar and yet unsettling. She takes us through Leah's transformation and re-discovery with such detail that it's impossible not to get drawn into her world. It was clear from the first novel in her trilogy that Maizel had talent, but she's clearly grown with this new addition to the story. I loved the complexity that she's created with Leah having to deal with associations from both worlds, and the new cliffhanger makes the reader hope that her third novel is on its way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and a fast read!!, July 4, 2014
I really enjoyed this book! I loved the first book and this second installment didn't disappoint. I really hope there will be another book because I love the storyline and main characters!

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's the next book!, March 11, 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected, February 23, 2014
After surviving the ritual she performed to restore Vicken's humanity, Lenah returns to Wickham's campus. Upon her return, Lenah witnesses a horrendous, yet familiar act. However, before processing the latest scene, Lenah encounters the legendary Aeris. Their visit is most unexpected, but it doesn't compare to the live, very mortal figure of Rhode Lewin. Lost in the moment, Lenah forgets Justin's presence at her side, though she quickly discovers Rhode's reappearance comes at a price. Amid the turmoil, a formidable opponent reveals itself. A foe more powerful than her coven, the aspiring vampire queen Odette.

I had several issues with this book, but let's begin with the bright spot--Vicken. His witty, snarky, and sarcastic comments are delivered at the right times. Ok, on to the issues.

Spoilers Below:
Issue one: Lenah Beaudonte. With every flip of the page, I wanted to smack some sense into her. Lenah's selfishness and teenage angst is too much to bear. She annoys to the point of dislike, not to mention her irritating internal monologue. Lenah's actions make it difficult to determine whether she is unable, unwilling, or indifferent to the lives tied to her own. With each bad decision, those closest to her and the Wickham community suffer devastating consequences.

Second issue: The love triangle. I'm not a big fan of love triangles because rather than enhancing a story, most often it distracts, detracts, and occasionally takes over the plot, which is exactly what happens--plot hijacked. "Yes, Lenah Beaudonte. You and Rhode Lewin were born under the same stars. The course of your lives has brought you here--together, as soul mates" (14). Lenah's obsession with Rhode's lack of attention pushes her to Justin, the consolation prize, in which she attempts to alleviate her hurt, although their relationship isn't as it had been previously. "It seemed to me then I'd never again feel the joy and comfort of lying in his arms. I remembered how powerful his warmth had felt after being cold for hundreds of years. Warmth, touch, tenderness--that was Justin. He was a reminder that I could truly be alive and feel love. He'd helped me move on last year. I wanted him to help me now. Help me in the way only he could" (82). It irks me that Lenah picks back up with Justin sparing no regard for his feelings. Plus, her need to be wanted causes her to be careless and impulsive. Instead of harnessing energy to defeat Odette, Lenah pines for her first love and buries herself in his alternate. It's not until the last few chapters where Lenah is able reign in her emotions. Yet, she fails to separate her affection for Justin from the danger he imposes.

Third issue: Discrepancies. While visiting the graveyard of her childhood home in 1730, etched in Lenah's tombstone are the dates 1400-1417 (24), which is completely inconsistent from book one where Rhode kills Lenah at the age of fifteen in 1418. "I was almost 16, had never left my parents' orchard, and the most beautiful man in the world stood in from of me." (Infinite Days, 49) Also, the epilogue hints toward Justin being a vampire and responsible for student disappearances, which wouldn't make sense according to the Aeris' statement to Lenah, "Every person you murdered will live again, as will those killed by the vampires you created. They will never meet you--because you won't become a vampire. It will be as though you had never met" (16).

After such a long wait, I was disappointed in the novel, which differed greatly from the snippet included in the back of book one; and the deviation of the storyline from such a promising start in the series. Vicken, along with the last three chapters saved the book. Even though I didn't like Stolen Nights as much as Infinite Days, I will continue on with the series because it started so strong and I believe that it could have a great finish.

4.0 out of 5 stars In spite of myself, February 17, 2014
The Vampire Queen series started out with a yawn. I am not a fan of Young Adult books anyway, but this was all I could find in the middle of the night so I took it. The first book was, as I said, rather a yawn but at least I got some sleep over the few days it took to read it; The second book had me wondering if it was the same author. It had many twists and turns in the plot and the minute I thought I had it pegged, I didn't. I think I will read the series as it emerges. The characters are interesting and Maisel seems to find new facets to her characters. In spite of myself I liked it. DEA

5.0 out of 5 stars need the next book!!!, July 13, 2013
This review is from: Stolen Nights: A Vampire Queen Novel (Paperback)
I have to say that it is not as great as the first. But, I still read this book in just a couple of days. Rebecca has an interesting take on the Vampire legend. I need to know what happens next! Her first book is still mesmerizing and I enjoy rereading it. I am an avid reader and I enjoy all kinds of books, fiction, historical fiction, crime, mystery, a few non-fiction. I pick up her first book because the first few chapters intrigued me and I needed a book that would not take that long to read. I am very happy with my choice and hope that Rebecca keeps writing. Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, May 4, 2013
It was a great sequel! Even better than book 1. I highly recommend it to any fan of the young adult/teen romance/paranormal genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Bookshelf Review: Review of Stolen Nights by Rebecca Maizel, April 20, 2013
This sequel of the Vampire Queen series was ten times better than the first book. I enjoyed this book completely and I liked it more than Infinite Days. Rebecca Maizel has really improved her writing and her style. The story has a much better plot and keeps the reader interested throughout. Lenah is still at Wickam Boarding School and she has to fight a whole new foe in a vampire that has come to try and get the ritual from her. This enemy vampire is causing destruction and fatalities all around the school and it is up to Lenah to stop it.

This sequel had such better writing and plot flow then the first book. I actually enjoyed reading it more and was immersed in the characters and what they had to accomplish. I loved all of the surprises and twists in this one. Stolen Nights wasn't as straight forward as Infinite Days, it had some curve balls in the plot, which I really liked this time around. I could guess and foresee what happened in Infinite Days while in Stolen Nights I had no idea what was going to happen or where it would go.

In this sequel, you get to delve into Lenah's character more and see what she is all about and how she was as a vampire and how she is different now. I loved the Aeris and how they represented time and all the four elements. I also really loved Lenah's struggle throughout the whole book of her difficulty to fight back and actually do it on her own.

I really loved the ending and how some things were a real shocker to me. A few things I could take a guess at and was accurate about but it didn't affect how I felt about the story. I loved how the ending completely shows Lenah's self sacrifice and sets it up so it could just end the series perfectly. But then there is an epilogue that can totally set up the series for a third book. I am really hoping that a third book will happen because that will just intrigue me even more into this series. I really like that Lenah is happy at the end but I really want to know what is happening at Wickam with everyone else.

Overall, I really loved the two books in this series. If you are a fan of paranormal/vampires, sort of contemporary, and romance, you will love this series. It is a series completely worthwhile to delve into. I really hope there will be a third book and it will be one I can't wait to read if it comes out. I definitely say give this series a try because I know a lot of people will love it.

Visit more of my reviews at [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed.., April 17, 2013
I fell in love with the first book in this series, and I waited patiently for this one. I just felt like so much of what made the first book great was lost in the second one. The set up for it was perfect, and I just didn't think the author capitalized on it. The characters lost their depth, and the story just felt..off. It makes me sad to say, but I probably won't read the next book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Stolen Nights: A Vampire Queen Novel
Stolen Nights: A Vampire Queen Novel by Rebecca Maizel (Paperback - January 29, 2013)
$9.99 $5.01