5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent backup program
I would recommend this program to anyone. This program worked the first time I tried it. I'm using it to backup files to CD-RW on my old Dell Pentium II. If you're thinking about buying this program visit the Stomp web site first and verify that your backup hardware is supported. Be aware that when the program formats the cd's you will lose about 100mb of storage space.
Published on July 7, 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars The program locks up - No customer Support
If your looking for a product with some customer support, look elsewhere. This product consistently locks up and you have to go the OS's task list to kill it. When problems are reported to Stomp, they are NEVER answered. Buy a big hard drive and just copy your files to it for backup - this product is useless.
Published on February 27, 2002 by B. Komanetsky

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent backup program, July 7, 2002
This review is from: BackUp MyPC (CD-ROM)

5.0 out of 5 stars BackUp My Pc is everything it is advertised to be........, October 11, 2002
Thomas G. McCallie (Flintstone, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BackUp MyPC (CD-ROM)
I was looking for a back up program that would work with Windows XP Home. I did my homework by searching and checking out all the available back up programs on the internet. I also checked to see if my RW and CD and ScanDisk drivers were listed in the compatable drive section of their website. After having downloaded a trial copy from Stomp website I found that it worked perfectly with my computer and system. I then ordered the software from Amazon.com and it works just great. No trouble downloading and preforming a complete back up of my hard drive. I backed up 11.3 GB in 4 hrs. and 30 minutes which took 17 cd's for the 87,393 files. This time also included the formating of the CD's and the verifying of the data. Not a single error.
I can recommend it highly that is if your cdrw and hard drive and other drives are compatable.
Tom McCallie

1.0 out of 5 stars The program locks up - No customer Support, February 27, 2002
B. Komanetsky (Tracy, Ca United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked perfectly!, April 5, 2002
This review is from: BackUp MyPC (CD-ROM)
I was apprehensive about purchasing, having read the reviews. I had used Seagate Backup for Win 98 (Backup Exec)for several years and found it to be an excellent program and was therefore interested in using the successor to that. It loaded without problem on my new Dell with Windows XP. It worked flawlessly from the start without any glitches and without having to contact customer support. It easily spanned 4 CD's to backup the entire drive and verified all of the backed up data. I tried restoring files and that worked fine as well. I highly recommend this program. It is probably reasonable to do the 30 day trial first as they do not have a money back guarantee.
Addendum: I just had occasion to restore my computer completely from the four backup CD's made several months ago. It worked flawlessly. This is a fantastic program!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars OK on one computer, problem on another, May 7, 2002
This review is from: BackUp MyPC (CD-ROM)
I tried installing BackUp MyPC on two computers, for convenience (they are networked, so I could back up data from both on one of them). On the Win2000 computer, installation went flawlessly, and I did a backup of about 18 GB of data to 18 CDs. No problems at all. On the other computer, running WinME, after the installation restart I got a Windows Protection Error, but was able to start up in Safe Mode, and after that got back into regular mode. However, since then I have had several cases of Windows Protection errors when restarting, so I just uninstalled BackUp MyPC from the WinME computer.

2.0 out of 5 stars BackUp MyPC is very sensitive about the media used., August 31, 2002
This review is from: BackUp MyPC (CD-ROM)
Here's my story: I bought a Sony CRX175A1 CD-RW, primarily to do backups. Retrospect Express came with the drive. Their terminology is unique, but actually using Retrospect is not all that complicated. But Retrospect Express only backs up complete drives or partitions, and I wanted to exclude some big non-essential folders from my backups--so I purchased BackUp MyPC. That's when I learned that ordinary backups will not give me what I really want--fast, easy recovery from a hard disk crash. No matter what software I use, that will require creating a "disaster-recovery CD" ("DR CD") (an "ISO 9660" CD--that is to say, a CD with a file system the same as any ordinary CD-ROM). When your hard drive crashes, a regular backup set, which is created with EACH BACKUP PROGRAM'S OWN SPECIAL FILE SYSTEM, will be useless for you, the backup program having died with your hard disk! Ideally, the DR CD should contain at least your entire "C:\WINDOWS" folder AND the backup program. That way, you can use the backup program and an ordinary backup procedure for the rest of your programs and data.) The DR CD created by both Retrospect Express and BackUp MyPC must be of an entire hard disk or hard disk partition. Retrospect made a DR CD of my 13 GB hard drive with no problem, but I tried twice with BUMP, and both times the job failed with unrecoverable errors. Stomp tech support blamed this on the media, but I was using the same 24X CD-R's (TDK and Imation) that work fine with Retrospect and B's Recorder. Unfortunately, it's been more than thirty days since I purchased BUMP, so I cannot return it to Amazon. That's OK--I should have read the return policy sooner. But, I am going back to using Retrospect AFTER PARTIONING MY HARD DRIVE with "PartitionMagic", so that making a DR CD or a backup of an individual partition will require far fewer CD's than I would need to backup the whole hard disk. [Retrospect, and B's Recorder, and probably lots of CD pre-mastering programs, can be used to create bootable CD's.]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great program, slow support, February 10, 2003
S. King (Ephrata, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BackUp MyPC (CD-ROM)
This is Veritas' Backup Exec, but now supported by Stomp (who the he** is Stomp??) with some bug fixes.
It works very well; Stomp publishes which backup devices it supports, and the program does an extremely good job at what it says it will do. It does exceptionally well at disaster recovery, but it does require you know at least a little something about the operating system you're using (and the SERVICE PACK level you'd applied, if any) before restoring if you're recovering from a complete hard drive crash. I've recovered successfully from a complete crash using this product.
The absolute best way to recover from a complete hard drive crash is to reinstall your operating system on the new hard drive and apply whatever service pack you'd installed on your system before it failed, THEN restore from your backup. It works perfectly with everything looking like it did before the crash.
Also, remember that to restore completely successfully, your backup should include your system's "SYSTEM STATE" if running NT, Win2K or WinXP. Backup MyPC includes this component as a simple checkbox during backup.
If you're not sure you want to buy it, try the free trial available on Stomp's website. If you like it, buy it here on Amazon; if you don't like it, what have you lost?
My only problem was in the way I tried upgrading from Backup Exec Pro. I didn't follow instructions and waited a day and a half for an email reply from Stomp. Before I got the reply, I'd figured out my mistake on my own and continued on my way.

1.0 out of 5 stars Riddled with problems, March 21, 2004
This review is from: BackUp MyPC (CD-ROM)
Backup MyPC has real problems with media errors - even when other applications are fine with the particular CD. One result is you can't make disaster recovery disks on to floppy disks. It's not the media, it's the Backup MyPC software.
Now try and do a backup onto CDs - the reason your buy backup software - you can get media errors on the very last disk requiring you to throw away your CD-R disks and start over!
Their support site has a long list of things causing "media error" problems. One example is apparently they have problems depending on the drivers you use for your IDE controller. They want you to use only Microsoft drivers. How is it all the other backup programs are OK with non-MS drivers? Do you know if your IDE driver is from Microsoft? If it's not, do you want to change it because of this one application?
I do not know how many other problems they have and I am not going to find out. I am so glad I downloaded a trial version first!
I just don't understand how this product has gotten such good reviews from PC Magazine and others. Don't waste your time or risk your valuable data with this sw.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't buy this junk, April 27, 2002
This review is from: BackUp MyPC (CD-ROM)
After reading the preview from PC World I bought BackUpMyPC with a lot of expectations.
After downloading it backed up , but yu can not open it.
I called several times technical support: unbelievable: they say this software does not work with adaptec cd burner software.
Their suggestion: delete the adaptec everytime yu want to work with BackUpsoftware.
It means that all Dell computers can not work with Back Up.
Be Aware and don't touch this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, July 7, 2002
This review is from: BackUp MyPC (CD-ROM)
I've been backing up since the preferred media was a cassett tape. Backup software is a black art to be sure... NTI has been very problematic on mine (Ath 1600+, 512ram, XP Pro) and Stomp is aces. It saw my Liteon 40x12x48x no problem (4.71 & 4.81 both). It will span media, just that a stupid window can make it seem like it won't. Go ahead and burn. As to complaings about cust serv, if you still believe in O/L help (in all but the rarest), I have a tooth fairy to sell you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

BackUp MyPC
BackUp MyPC by STOMP INC (Windows 2000 / 95 / 98 / Me / NT / XP)
$100.00