Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Format: HardcoverChange

on August 31, 2009
I was looking for a book on Machu Picchu as a birthday present for a friend who had just recently visited the site with his daughter while on a church service trip. I was NOT looking for a guide book or an archaeological history, but rather a book of beautiful photographs,which I thought would instantly remind him of the site and their trip. I was surprised that such a book did not seem to exist,until I found this one from Mike Torrey. The 100 color photographs are stunning,and the thoughtful introduction and notes provide all the context needed. It was particularly interesting to read in Mike's notes how he was able to capture these images as if virtually no one else was present at the site. Looking at the pictures,you are struck by the desolation,mystery,and majesty. If you are looking for a beautiful photographic essay of Machu Pichhu--regardless of whether or not you have even been there--this is the book.
0Comment26 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2009
Being an amature digital photographer, I wanted a book of Machu Picchu that not only showed amazinly beautiful photos, but told where these photos were taken in hopes that I could try and capture the same "look". This book not only shows, but also tells (in some cases) where the photos were taken and what time of day or season. Due to the weather AND my limited ability & knowledge of photography, I also realize that my photos most likely won't look ANYTHING like those in the book (since this is NOT a how-to book on photography)so, I now have a book that shows the beauty of Machu Picchu, just in case my photos fall short :0)

If you are looking for a beautiful, pictoral book of Peru's greatest hidden treasure this book will not disappoint! It also has an introduction and closing notes by Mike Torrey, the photographer, that I personally found to be very interesting. The photographer tells how he took his photos - and his comments are translated in Spanish! In addition, located in the back of the book are detailed Points of Interests.
on December 16, 2009
I have been lucky enough to visit many beautiful places in this world, but Machu Picchu has a majesty and mystical quality, a feeling of sacredness, that I have never encountered anywhere else. Mike Torrey has eloquently captured that essence in his remarkable photographs.
on July 13, 2011
Perfect complement to our recent trip to PERU and Machu Picchu!
We can look at the pictures and feel like we are there.
It was so great that the author used many different seasons for the book.
on March 19, 2011
Beautiful pictures! The book was a disappointment, to me at least, because it didn't provide captions to any of the pictures. There was an overview picture at the back of the book that could have had key numbers to the beautiful pictures. A big disappointment, I resold the book on Amazon within a few weeks. Would suggest checking a library copy before purchasing.. I gave it 4 stars for the pictures, not the text or descriptions which rate about 1 star.
on June 11, 2009
Mike Torrey has captured a segment of man's history imposed on earth history bringing alive the past and present.

If you have visited Machu Picchu, you will be awash in memories; if you plan to visit, you will have a guide of what to look for; for everyone else, this photo album is a wonderful armchair traveling experience.
on August 17, 2013
The book contains beautiful pictures of a magnificent site. Although it has been more than 25 years since I visited Machu Picchu, I still felt some connection with the scenic presentations provided in the book regarding a timeless spot of history.
on December 31, 2012
I love this book! Machu Picchu is one of my favorite places on this planet and the author captures the true essence of this awe inspiring place.

Not only does Machu Piccu have a huge presence, but the textures, weather, light, temperature and colors are so ever dynamic. The author captures the entire experience ... Love the picture spread on page 72-73 ... shooting the perspective of looking thru a stone window opening to the shear peaks, their sharpness covered with rough overgrowth, wispy clouds passing, and there in the thick stone windowsill is a puddle of water reflecting sunlight. Page 55 how the backside of the stone condor is overgrown with bromeliads, vivid wildflowers,vivid mountains in the background, one peak completely blocked out with the heavy clouds that are constantly blowing thru, but are now the perfect backdrop to jungle like tree which pops from the page. The picture captures 4 focal points each at a different depth. Then the photo on page 39 how each raindrop reflects lights and hangs at the tip of each stick ... you just wait for them to drop ... and the first picture on page 15 well, there are no words ... maybe "it's exactly like that!" would work.

The Author's notes at the back of the book also bring more appreciation for each photo ... because in reality you are there with many many other tourists, yet your experience is all yours as if it was only you standing there ... and the Author captures that personal experience.

A wonderful book that brought back many memories of Machu Picchu; each picture you could step right into and experience this magical place all over again.
on August 17, 2012
I bought the book for the professional photos and information~while at Machu Picchu I was fully present and enjoyed the total view, not through a view finder. A photographer once told me he buys books of places he visits and only takes a few snapshots~that way he can fully enjoy the experience~it's a practice I've done ever since and this book is a fantastic keepsake of Machu Picchu!
on February 1, 2013
I found this book to have many great photos,,,really enjoyed it alot..If one really wants to know more or Machu Picchu, then read from books on it from david childress..............james