Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Stonehenge
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on January 11, 2015
This pains me to admit, but I actually finished this novel. Let me say, I have read the entire Richard Sharpe series, Nathanial Starbuck series, Saxon Tale series and other random Cornwells. This book was painful. If I were an architect/ historian, it may have been more interesting. As it is, far too much of the novel was spent in lavish detail about how Stonehenge MAY have been built. Further, I finished this book with a distaste for humanity, having grown weary of the disgusting images of child sacrifice, rape and murder. Truly, I'm not averse to a little blood, it's just that this book only had blood to talk about when it wasn't boring me with speculation. Also, I've spent over 15 years in the construction industry and I'm actually INTERESTED in construction, yet can't bear that I wasted so many hours of my life in this book.
on November 6, 2001
I was so excited when I saw this new book by Cornwell...and then I started reading it. The story is long and boring and never seems to reach a climax. They move rocks, then move them some more, then there is a bit of a story about the brothers, their lovers, and their gods, then the rocks go a little farther. It seemed Cornwell was trying to address too many avenues in the story without focusing well on any one point. I still haven't been able to finish it unlike the Warlord Chronicles that I couldn't stop reading.
on December 15, 2013
I've now read all of Bernard Cornwell's books except the Sharpe series. I'm a huge fan - I especially LOVED the Saxon Tales! But this book was so very, very disappointing. I am fascinated by Stonehenge and was so excited to find that Cornwell wrote about it and was eager to read it. But this was so boring I barely trudged through it. I kept expecting it to get better with every next page but it never did and it was only my love of the author that made me see it through to the end.
on April 17, 2014
Like the temple that the story revolves around, this book goes round and round in circles. In this case ever decreasing circles until it finally disappears up the arse of my attention span.

Endlessly repetitive about the religious beliefs and rituals of the protagonists, I was bored beyond belief, hoping only that the Bernard Cornwell that I know and love would pull a magic rabbit out of the hat. He didn't, and now I'm disappointed that I bought the Kindle version of the book, because unlike the paper version I cant even put it to emergency use in the toilet.
on January 1, 2012
Did I really say that? I did, didn't I!
I can hardly believe that Cornwall came out with this fanciful tale of the origins of Stonehenge. He really would have been better to have left this a mystery. I believe I only fought my way through the book because it is by Cornwall and I knew it must soon get better. Sadly it didn't.
The plot is dreary, the narrative childish and simplistic, the setting is fanciful with a whole era in history (apparently), with it's own customs and religions, invented solely for this book. I consider the whole effort a sad waste of Mr. Cornwall's prodigious imagination and talent.
I have read everything this chap has ever written and loved it all; I really do not know what he or, perhaps more importantly, his publishers were thinking about when they decided this project was good enough to go to print.
Avoid this book unless you are looking for a cure for insomnia!
on January 26, 2001
i was drawn to cornwell's stonehenge because of his powerful work in the winter king, enemy of god and excalibur. stonehenge drags, has none of the superb characterization or exciting action of these other books. i found it slow and boring, a disappointment.
on September 18, 2009
I hate when a book gets so boring, stagnent and full of dead ends that I have to give up. This was one of those. I'm surprised that this author is so popular--was this just a bad egg or are the rest of his books like this? (As a guide: I've loved every Wilbur Smith and Ken Follett novel I've ever read.)
on February 18, 2003
.... uninteresting, repetitive. This book has been a huge disappointment. The themes of the story were repeated again and again, the characters were superficial, flat and simplistic, and the only really interesting part of the book was the depiction of the techniques used to move the stones & build Stonehenge and the afterword, where the author spoke a little about the era and his research. But then, if I wanted a construction manual, I would have bought one. I wanted also a story, and there was none. Don't buy this book, if you absolutely want to read it borrow it from a library. And can someone who has read Cornwell's Arthurian trilogy inform me if it is similar to Stonehenge before I go ahead and buy it despite my misgivings?
on June 24, 2016
I was very disappointed in this book. I found it slow and predictable. I am a big fan of Bernard Cornwell but I felt this book was a waste of money unlike so many others of his books.
on April 24, 2015