4.0 out of 5 stars The value of friendship
Published on September 4, 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Still Fairly Traumatized...
When it comes to sentimentally showing the struggles of segregation, racism, and prejudice this book does fine. But I read this when it was first published and to this day I cannot erase a VERY triggering scene of animal abuse from my mind. It's only a page or so, but it's incredibly graphic and heartbreaking and actually eclipsed the struggles of the human characters for...
Published 3 months ago by Samira Iravani

4.0 out of 5 stars The value of friendship, September 4, 2001
By A Customer
As a librarian at a middle school I regularly read young adult fiction. This story is truly inspiring. The two main characters are struggling with a desire to be "best friends" during the 1960's when black people were excluded from many daily activities even though the laws said that they were to have the same rights as everyone else. The girls discover, that together, they hold key information to solve a murder mystery that has deeply affected both of them personally. This story gives you the feeling that true friendship is something you don't want to ever let go of. Strong language but important to the story. A great book for discussions and literature circles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read THE STONES OF MOURNING CREEK., July 29, 2004
I've always liked mysteries but I'm not too fond of sappy "let's all have a good sob" novels. So when I read THE STONES OF MOURNING CREEK, I was puzzled. What was I to think of this emotional novel entwined with a mystery? It turns out the novel wasn't what I expected.

Francie is a quiet girl with brilliant red hair. Since her mother's death, Francie lives alone with her father and has few friends. It is the 1960s, when racism is rampant, but when Francie meets Ruthie, a young black girl, the two become almost inseparable. That is until the rest of Spring Gap begins to notice. As the town grows more conscious of the tight bond between the girls, people become more intent on splitting them up.

Meanwhile, new developments about the death of Francie's mom keep popping up. How did she die? Nobody is really sure about that night, and not many people want to find out. So Francie embarks on a journey --- with Ruthie, of course. The two become trapped as they try to untangle themselves from a web of lies. They find that nothing is safe and they can turn to no one in their quest for the truth.

In THE STONES OF MOURNING CREEK, Diane Les Becquets shows the reader what life in the '60s was really like. She also reveals aspects of the mother-daughter relationship. It is clear that when Francie's mother was alive, the two were almost inseparable --- much like Francie and Ruthie.

The mystery got the best of me, and I felt myself falling for the "lets all have a good sob" part, as much as I didn't want to. If you're fond of mysteries, and you don't mind sappy novels, then read THE STONES OF MOURNING CREEK. You just might like it.

--- Reviewed by Lisa Marx

4.0 out of 5 stars The Stones of Mouring Creek, January 30, 2003
A Kid's Review
One of the best books I have ever read is The Stones of Mourning Creek. It is a fantastic tale of mystery and friendship. Let me tell you about it.
Fourteen year old Francie Grove lives in Spring Gap, Alabama in 1966. When her mama dies, she and her daddy are overcome by sorrow, but they deal with it in different ways. Mr. Grove goes out at night and drinks, while Francie becomes friends with a girl named Ruthie, and talks to her about her troubles.
Ruthie rescued Francie after being bit by a snake, and this incident was what brought them together. There is only one problem. Francie is white, and Ruthie is black. It isn't easy to stay friends in this segregated time, but nothing can separate them. Francie and Ruthie together go through a lot of the things girls today do, such as bullies at school, family troubles, and crushes on boys. The stones of the creek represent the relationship of these two girls, since Ruthie made bracelets of the rocks for each of them.
As time goes along, Francie suspects that Mama's death was no accident. Little does she know it, but Ruthie holds the secret to discovering what happened to Francie's mother.
This is an extremely emotional book. You will laugh and cry when you read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Books I've ever Read, December 19, 2002
A Kid's Review
Hi there! I am an anvide reader! And I must say this is one of my favorite books. I read a lot of books, so u have 2 understand how good this book really has to be good. It shows true friendship, first love, and an acceptance of other races and life stlyes. This author definatly has something special going on! I hope she writes more books. Just a note: I have to promote this book, Seer and The Sword! It is wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, April 16, 2002
Amethyst (MA United States) - See all my reviews
I think this is a wonderful book for all ages. Diane Les Becquets is a great author. The Stones of Mourning Creek is about a white girl named Francie who becomes best friends with a black girl named Ruthie during the 1960's in the South. After Francie's mother dies...Francie became unhappy and really lonely since her father seemed to never be there for her. Francie's mother didn't really die in an accident, she stopped a man from raping a girl and so the man killed her. You quickly find out in a couple of pages who the evil man is and who he was going to rape. Francie became friends with Ruthie, after Ruthie saves her by getting help when she found her knocked out from a snakebite. Francie and Ruthie cherished their friendship and let nothing come between them. Francie falls for a boy named Earnest :O) Their town is full of secrets....people they know are not all they seem to be. Francie and Ruthie end up finding out the answers to the mystery of Francie's mother's so-called accident. The ending was........hmm......dunno what to really say about it but you just have to read this wonderful story for yourself to find out the ending...

5.0 out of 5 stars The stones of mourning creek, May 31, 2002
Tessa Hartley (South Freeport, Maine United States) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book, it was beautifully written. I don't really reccomend it for readers who don't like sad books. There is a lot of death in it, i cried toward the end of. I thought it was interesting how the author showed what it had been like for a white person to be friends with a black person. People looked down on you, I'm glad it's not like that anymore. It was very suspensful; very hard to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Stones of Mouring Creek, April 26, 2002
A Kid's Review
Hi, I just got finished with the book not to long ago and i just want to say that it is a great book, the author makes it easy to visualize everything and everybody. When ever i would read the book and my mom had me take a break to do the dishes or something, I think, "I better hurry or i will miss the rest of the movie!" You can tell it is a good book when you do things like that!

5.0 out of 5 stars What happens when two girls of diffrent races in the 1960's become best friends?, October 30, 2005
A Kid's Review
The Stones of Mourning Creek is a really good book. It's about a girl in the 1960's living in Alabama. Her mom dies in a mysterious accident one night when the girl (Francie) is about 13. Francie is left with just her and her dad, who has a big drinking problem. One day Francie meets a girl named Ruthie and they become best friends. But, Ruthie is black and Francie is white and in Alabama in the 60's that was almost unheard of. As the girls become closer and closer and the community tries harder and harder to pull them apart, the mysterious death of Francie's mother begins to unfold and things are linked together like they never imagined. People they've known and trusted all their life become complete strangers. Francie also meets Ernest, a guy a little older than her who is also connected in the mystery. He contributes greatly to Francie's life.

My favorite character was Mama Rae. She is Ruthie's mom. I liked her the best because she seems like one of those people that just being in the room with them make you feel good and happy. She is funny and always has good advice. Her cooking sounds really good too.

The only part I didn't like was part of the end. It makes chills go up your back because you think, I wonder if that could actually happen to me.

The only question I have after reading the book is what happens with Earnest and Francie?

My favorite passage in the book is when the girls are at the creek:

"'I wanna go home, 'I told him. He told me to shut up and raised his hand up over his head like he was going to hit me hard. That's when I saw the angel." she(Ruthie) said.

"Do you remember what she looked like?" I(Francie) asked. She nodded her head.

"Like an angle," she said, "with red hair, like you."

You sort-of have to read the book to get that part though. The book makes you think about the 60's and it's really cool how it's all linked together, and 'it makes you laugh and it makes you cry' like they always say.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book rules!, February 18, 2002
A Kid's Review
Diane Les Bequets is not just another writer, she has inspired me with this book. I hope that her next book will be just as good. As a matter a fact, I happened to be one of her former students in creative writing. I was touched by how she had made such a clear picture in my mind of this story. This book is about a white girl, (Francie) and a black girl, (Ruthie) that become best friends and try to find out if Francie's mother's death was a murder. It is a great mystery story and a great friendship story. I hope more kids will get a chance to read it, rather than sitting around and watching T.V. all day. And I'm not trying to be a suck up when I say this, she had inspired me to become a writer when I grow up. The biggest kid fan ever,
J.C.O.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Stones of Mourning Creek AKA The best book ever!, January 29, 2005
Wow! I just finished reading this book today. I started yesterday, but I couldn't put it down. I loved how it took place in Alabama in the 1960s. I think that that time period showed the segregation between blacks and whites. The story was magnificent and I hope Diane writes a sequel. Uhhh, it's so good! Anyways the story is written from Francie, a white girl's, point of view. It showed how hard it was to be friends with a black during the '60's. I cried a few times during this book especially during the end. I don't have time to write anymore, but if you have a question, just email me at Spangs234@hotmail.com

The Stones of Mourning Creek