5.0 out of 5 stars I thought it was a well done, funny ,entertaining movie
This movie held my interest from begginning to end. I didn't think the mother over bearing at all. She played a great part, and did a good job as well as Sylvester Stalone.
Published on May 5, 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Stallone is funnier than THIS
Published on May 14, 2006 by SpookyChick

2.0 out of 5 stars Stallone is funnier than THIS, May 14, 2006
SpookyChick (in tha' world!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot (DVD)
Let's get something straight, my pee-peeing fans: Stallone was NOT trying to follow in Arnold's footsteps with his comedies of the early '90s. He was RETURNING to a genre that he dabbled in before Arnie became known as a comedic screen presence. Remember 1984's "Rhinestone"? That was a genuinely funny musical-comedy that Stallone co-wrote. Why did it bomb at the box office? Your guess is as good as mine - I think that the critical buzz (which was bad) helped kill the film. But that's beside the point, which is that Sly had already proven comedic acting chops well in advance of "Stop or My Mom Will Shoot" and the previous year's farcical "Oscar."

Another myth to dispel: people claim that this movie was a commercial failure. Not true, dear readers. While it may have only grossed $28 million domestically (which is actually around the 40 million mark when adjusted for inflation), this rather modestly-budgeted film was a considerable money-maker internationally (which was where Mr. Stallone's bread was buttered for most of the '90s). Why did it do middling box office here in the states? Honestly, the pairing of Sly and 'Golden Girl'Estelle Getty - though comedically inspired and full of potential - was not smart demographically speaking. How many Sly's action fanbase were going to take something like this seriously? Conversely, how many grannies (i.e. the majority of 'Golden Girls' fans) were going to go see a loud, brash action-comedy (featuring a certain amount of violence and bad language)? Neither of the stars' fanbase were on board.

So what does that leave us with? A strangely unengaging hybrid - most of the jokes fall flat, and most of the action sequences feel generic and TV-movieish. Yes, you'll laugh at the sight of Sly in a diaper (during a nightmare sequence) but you'll groan at the sight of Estelle trying to wash her son's gun with standard household cleaning products. One great line: Estelle's infamous one-liner to her son: "Go ahead - make your bed."

The DVD is surprisingly robust, all things considered. The movie is presented in a very attractive widescreen transfer, along with a couple of bonus features. There is a short - but very entertaining - behind-the-scenes featurette. Yes, it's a fairly typical EPK puff piece, but there is some amusing footage of Getty and Stallone clowning together. Also included is an intriguing alternate ending. I say intriguing because it is clearly taken from an even longer sequence of deleted scenes (not included on the dvd), since on it's own it barely makes any sense. Still interesting to see, because the third act of this movie apparently was originally much different (and more action-oriented). I only wish that more deleted footage had been included.

3.0 out of 5 stars Generic But Wholesome, August 15, 2010
Sly Stallone plays a hotheaded police officer named Joe, who somehow has perfect aiming since he can shoot the chains holding a sign from a mile away to crush the baddies below. Due to his recklessness, he's not well-appreciated by his peers; he often gets into trouble with his female lieutenant (JoBeth Williams), who used to have a relationship with him. But things change for Joe once his mother came to visit, to make his life a living hell; the mother does her earnest to treat his adult son like a child and shows his baby pictures in front of his peers. He didn't want her around, but when she became a witness to a criminal shooting and deliberately withhold evidence so only her son to know, it's up to those two to catch the criminals.

There's not much to say about "Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot". It follows a recurring gag: the mother embarrassing her son, whether he's at home or on the job. Estelle Gelly sure is an old-fashion mother, very unrealistically so. She baked cookies, tucked her son to bed and sang a lullaby, made a huge breakfast for her son to eat, and even telling stories that he wet the bed (on a speakerphone), even in front of a suicide jumper next to Sly at one point; I know mothers often pamper their children, but normal mothers know when their child grows up. I understand it's a joke, but I don't really understand her at times: she seems very smart when she's helping Sly find some bad guys, but often she's very clueless like when she randomly bought an illegal weapon for her son; idiot savant or wise senility? I know the late great Golden Girl can be funnier than what she was in this movie, and the outrageous zany music didn't acclimate a dumb gag.

It's a typical 90s screwball buddy-cop flick with an unusual partner, the unusual one being a senior citizen. This film does have some good moments, like when Stallone barged in to the lieutenant's office, and she and his mother were crying over a conversation that he didn't really know. While not funny, Estelle did amuse me at times, like when she's called some jerk cop a jerk, and her one-liner after she pulled a gun on some guy (btw, she only pulled the gun twice in this movie). The relationship between Sly and his mother had a few heartfelt moments, sappy as they are, which made me felt attached to them a bit. This is a generic flick, but it's a generic flick that plays fair.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Dud With Sly but Could Have Been a Gem With A Real Comedian, December 11, 2009
This review is from: Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot (DVD)
Don't get me wrong. I'm a Sly fan and I love Rhinestone despite people raking it over the coals even after 20 years. I love Stallone! But Stallone should never make another comedy again. He is not funny and watching him trying to be is as painful as sticking nails under your toes. All of them have been busts. Obviously Stallone has always wanted to do comedy but will never be accepted by the public for them, so he'll always receive a backlash.

There were a lot of things in this movie that didn't make sense and were unbelievable. The part where Stallone climbs up a building to talk down a man who wants to commit suicide is ridiculous. I don't believe an average detective would be the one in charge of talking down jumpers. Also, I don't know an officer who would take his mother with him on cases where they are risking their lives. I also believe there would be some kind of policy against Stallone taking his mother off on his cases. The scenes will insult your intelligence but what's really ridiculous was how gullible Getty's character was. The woman is about seventy years old and yet she doesn't know it's illegal to buy a Mack 10 from a van of stolen guns? She also doesn't know that you don't WASH guns? I guess these are the funny parts that didn't go over well. It's hard to buy that a woman as old as Getty would be so stupid when it came to the simpliest things. At least the dog was cute.

Stop or My Mom Will Shoot! is really not that bad and would have been pretty good if not for Sly. The main problem is that it's painful to watch Sly who seems to be completely out of his comfort zone. He tries too hard to be funny which proves that a real comedian should have been in the role. This was probably the worst comedy of the 1990's along with A Cop and A Half with Burt Reynolds. Both films were terrible attempts to make aging ex-action stars comedians. I love Sly but even I can't understand what the heck he was thinking starring in this movie! It was completely embarrassing to a man of his ability. I am also an Estelle Getty fan and loved Golden Girls but her performance is cliche and one dimensional. In fact, Getty does no real acting only plays Sophia Petrillo on the big screen.

I definitely don't think this movie is horrible as some people want to make it out to be. Most of the groaning comes from fans of Stallone who throws fits every time he's in anything other than a Rocky or Rambo sequel. The man is definitely brave to try his hand at other things but he needs to forget comedy. I think Estelle Getty along with someone like Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, Eugene Levy or Martin Short would have been outrageous. But Sly is the reason this film doesn't come across. He spends his time trying to be funny and that's a sign that he's not. Sly and Getty are very convincing as mother and son and their scenes together are cute but would have gone over better if this movie was a drama.

If you like light-hearted comedies that borderline on silly and outrageous then check this out. It might not be very funny but it's a movie you can watch without having to think. Or just watch it for the adorable little dog.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good decent comedy, August 5, 2006
This review is from: Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot (DVD)
This movie was funny, I had a tainted opinion aswell as prior to watching it I read alot of reviews saying how bad it was. It's not half bad at all! You've got to remember this movie is now 15 years old, and although a typical comedy for the time it still has a lot of good laughs and a funny story line. Stallone's dream where he's in the diapers is just hilarous...

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought it was a well done, funny ,entertaining movie, May 5, 1999
By A Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars ...Stallone and Getty's chemistry is the worst since Stallone and Parton!, January 29, 2006
S. Sarhan "matured reviewer" (Dearborn, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot (DVD)
Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot is a comedy directed by Roger Spottiswoode (Turner And Hooch) and starring Sylvester Stallone (Rocky), Estelle Getty (TV sitcom The Golden Girls), and JoBeth Williams (Poltergeist).

Stallone plays Joey Bomowski, an LA cop who gets a surprise visit from his mother Tutti, played by Getty. She's in town to clean up Joey's house, clean up his crumbling love life with his boss Gwen, played by Williams, and clean up the city as she partners up with her son to catch some bad guys who were involved in a crime that she is the only witness to. Joey, on the other hand, must deal with his mother showing everybody she meets his baby pictures, washing his gun with water and soap, and feeding him breakfast (the most important meal of the day!)

The movie is silly but mildly entertaining. Getty and Stallone's onscreen chemistry is the worst since Dolly Parton and Stallone's duet performance in Rhinestone. However, the film manages to pull some funny moments that you can't resist but laugh to.

Not really recommended

C

1.0 out of 5 stars Winner of Three Razzies!, November 13, 2009
This review is from: Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot (DVD)
Sylvester Stallone had an alternate title for this sitcom drivel masquerading as a feature film: "Dial M for Mother." That alone is funnier than anything that happens in this truly embarrassing action-comedy. Everyone has seen better days, especially Roger Spottiswoode (who directed the 1983 political drama "Under Fire"). In recent interviews, Stallone ranked "Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot" as his all-time worst movie. The competition must have been intense.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE!!!, May 16, 2014
Rebekah Plantz (Mt. Morris, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot (DVD)
I just recently (like 2 days ago) watched my first Sylvester Stallone movie from back in the day: Demolition Man. I fell in love with that movie and now I'm on a hardcore Stallone binge. Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot was the second one I got around to. Oh man, talk about a riot! This movie is HYSTERICAL! I was laughing, like really laughing, for almost the entire movie. Estelle Getty is hilarious and her and Stallone have great chemistry. I don't get why there are any bad reviews at all. If you are a Stallone fan I definitely recommend this film. I had a blast watching it and it's now one of my favorites. Don't try and rent it; just buy it. It's totally worth the slightly jacked up price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great comedy, May 8, 2014
This is a very funny comedy. Stallone and Getty are a great team and really play well off each other.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie!, March 25, 2014
Stallone and Getty are perfect for their roles and interact real well. They played their role perfectly and the movie was hilarious.

Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot
Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot by Roger Spottiswoode (DVD - 2010)
$14.98 $8.96