• Allows women to tell their own stories about the harmful effects of street harassment, including the myriad and complex ways it impedes gender equity
• Empowers women by helping them understand they are not at fault and equips them with ways to cope and challenge the behavior
• Helps men understand why such behavior is offensive, frightening, and potentially criminal
• Provides concrete tactics, illustrated by real success stories, for how women can deal with harassers and how anyone who sees harassment occurring can intervene
• Compelling anecdotes pulled from hundreds of women's stories that detail what harassment they have experienced, how it makes them feel, and how it impacts their lives
• Groundbreaking information from surveys conducted around the world detailing the number of women who experience street harassment, how often, and in what forms
• Suggestions for numerous, concrete actions women and men can take to stop street harassment and information on over 20 anti-street-harassment initiatives now underway
• Interviews with community activists to inspire readers to take action
• A companion website, www.stopstreetharassment.com, features the results of two surveys conducted by the author and a presentation of myths vs. facts about street harassment--This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
The evidence is unmistakable, the numbers alarming. Over 80 percent of women experience gender-based harassment from unknown men in public, including whistling, sexually-explicit comments, groping, stalking, and assault. One study of 800 women reported that 75 percent had been followed and 57 percent sexually touched. How can it be that so few people recognize this as a problem?--This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
Holly Kearl delves into the complexities of street harassment - the intersections of gender, race, sexuality and other aspects of identity that shape our experiences. Read morePublished on April 27, 2012 by Nuala Cabral
I bought this book looking for tools to keep safe. I work as a public high school substitute teacher and the harassment, violence, sexual harassment, and cursing is rampant. Read morePublished on December 31, 2011 by Rejoice!