Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Stop saying Never Say Never Again should be in this!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2012 5:54:31 AM PST
Aaron Rogers says:
It's not a real James Bond film. It's Warner Bros. trying to bank on the 007 name by producing a film at the same time as Octopussy and paying Sean Connery a huge sum of money to be in it. Connery has since regretted reprising his role in that film.. you can tell in his face that he hated being part of it. That movie is a horrible WB cash-in and should be stricken from our records. In essence, it's a remake of Thunderball. So Sean Connery remaking Thunderball under a different studio. This film has sleeze written all over it. I refuse to watch it and even acknowledge that it was ever made.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 1:07:15 PM PST
ANDREW H. says:
besides the opening gun logo thing and the lady silhouettes/opening credits - which is only about 5 minuets worth of the movie.... you have a 200+ minuet, bond looking, bond feeling movie that stars the most famous and beloved "bond" of them all (whom never looked better) PLAYING the character "007"..... so why should those 2 minor omissions make this so unworthy to be considered a 'Bond Film'??? yes, it is basically a re-telling of thunderball, but it is still different enough to stand on its own and be viewed with the other 22 movies without standing out that much (at least among 80's bond films). i actually prefer "never" between the 2 of them.

THATS why people still get pissy about this subject.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 9:59:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012 10:00:10 PM PST
Freethinker says:
It's actually a pretty good Bond film...much better than Moore's last four efforts, a couple of Brosnan's, and Quantum of Solace. Heck, it's even better in many ways than Connery's Diamonds Are Forever. The reason that it's a remake of Thunderball is that Connery owned the rights to the property.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 2:25:21 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 24, 2012 2:26:04 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 2:29:15 AM PST
I'm pretty sick of people using the terms "EON James Bond film" and "REAL James Bond film" interchangeably. Never Say Never Again is a real film, and it features James Bond. It is, by definition, a real James Bond film. It is not part of the EON Bond franchise, but that does not make it, in any way, a "fake" James Bond film.

MGM currently owns the rights to NSNA, so they could have included it. Or at least re-released it separately on the same day, as their previous Blu-ray for it is now out of print.

And just for the record, it was Kevin McClory who had the Thunderball rights and rallied to get NSNA made (with EON trying to sabotage him every step of the way).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 2:32:39 AM PST
Totally agree. This was the first "Bond" I ever saw and completely loved it. Of course it will never be included in any "official" Bond set since it is not considered an "official" Bond film or part of the Bond cannon, since the Broccolis had nothing to do with producing it. I am pretty sure they are probably the reason it was not included in this set even if the same studio owns the rights to it.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 5:01:49 AM PST
NSNA is definitely a Bond film, to argue otherwise is moronic. It had one of the best Bond villains, Bond Girls and Bond theme songs! It's aged like any of the Bond movies, but it stands up to and surpasses a large number of them in overall quality.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 5:55:57 AM PST
Jameson, I do not understand why you felt it was necessary to include an insult in your post regarding NSNA. Last I heard, everyone is entitled to their opinion and should not be ridiculed because of it. Besides with the exception of Aaron Rogers, no one else said that NSNA was not a real Bond film. It is simply not a part of the official Bond cannon... And that is not an opinion, that is a fact.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:03:15 AM PST
Hokeyboy says:
While I disagree with your assessment on the film, what is objective fact is that Connery did not and still does not own the rights to ANY Bond properties. The Thunderball film rights, Blofeld, and SPECTRE film rights were owned by Kevin McClory (now his estate), and he refused to let EON productions use any of them. That's why he remade Thunderball. That's the only Bond story he was allowed to tell.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 6:26:48 PM PST
Your in correct on Connery he is an actor and actors never own rights to films they stare in it was complicated case of copyright drama where Ian Flemming co-wrote plot ideas with guy named Kevin McCLory Kevin was unhappy when flemming turned the sript into Novell insteed of movie so leagal battle happend and thus lead Kevin evantually able to produce Never Say Never Again

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013 1:57:28 PM PST
dleak77 says:
It wasn't actually Connery that owned the rights although he went into partnership with the guy who did...Kevin McClory...to make the movie. McClory had the rights because he, Ian Fleming, and another guy worked together on a movie script. The partnership fell apart, and Fleming ended up using some of the ideas from the script they'd worked on together for the book Thunderball, which later got made into the movie of the same name. McClory sued Fleming, and later EON Productions, claiming the ideas Fleming used were his, and he had been plagarized. Who came up with what from the script has always been debated, but the parties involved decided to settle the suit. As part of the settlement, McClory became the Producer on the original Thunderball film, and got the rights (after 10 years or something like that) to do a re-make movie of Thunderball - which became Never Say Never Again. So, NSNA is not an "official EON production", however, you can't really say its not a "real" Bond film since most plot points are the same or similar to Thunderball and McClory had the legal rights to make a Bond movie. I wouldn't say its a great Bond movie, but in my opinion its a better film than some of the lesser EON efforts. However, this set is the "official EON productions movie set", so NSNA isn't included. Just as a side note, I think either EON or MGM now own the rights to Never Say Never Again, so if they ever decided to include it in a box set they could, but its probably not going to happen as there have always been hard feelings over McClory's lawsuit, the decision to make Never, and Connery agreeing to partner with McClory and star in the film. Therefore EON likes to treat Never like it either doesn't exist or isn't a "real" Bond film. Both Never and Octopussy (which were in theaters around the same time) did pretty well at the box office, so at the time it wasn't seen as terrible rip off of a Bond film.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013 2:00:29 PM PST
dleak77 says:
A. Coulthurst...like the man said "Never Say Never"! One of these days, the Broccolis will pass the torch to someone who wasn't there when it all went down, and wasn't personally effected. I wouldn't be surprised if Never got integrated at that time.

Posted on Feb 14, 2013 3:29:24 PM PST
dss says:
It's all about the royalties. When different studios have the rights, this is what happens -- they don't get included in the same packages.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:06:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 11:07:16 AM PST
dleak77 says:
dss - at one time I would have agreed with you, but I'm pretty sure MGM and/or EON now owns the rights to "Never Say Never Again" so I don't think its about the rights or royalties anymore. As far as EON is concerned NSNA is a step child (to put it nicely)...like I said before, one of these days when the prinicipal parties involved in all that legal mess have either moved on or passed on, I wouldn't be surprised if they added NSNA to whatever collection might come out then.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 5:18:10 AM PDT
Adam82 says:
I actually think it's better than Thunderball, and probably better than Octopussy, its rival, as well. The Blu ray is available seperately on Amazon, so if you want it, it's cheap to just purchase it on its own, as well as Bond 50. If you need to have a complete collection

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 3:26:19 PM PDT
"...it doesn't include Never Say Never Again", however "it has a spot for Skyfall!"

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 5:21:09 AM PDT
I dare say, this has caused quite a diversity of opinion. It seems to me either you will enjoy the film or not, however you obtain it. I enjoy only a few of the 007 films so I buy them separately. I enjoy or not enjoy a film based on its own merits regardless of the controversies that surround it. And I feel sorry for those who allow the controversies to dictate their opinion of any work of art.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2013 12:16:34 PM PDT
Well, is it OK to insult the morons who continue to write "cannon" when the correct word is "canon?" After all, that's a fact, not an opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2013 10:33:54 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 2, 2013 10:34:40 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about