Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 55 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 5, 2012 6:12:59 PM PDT
NYMIZ says:
Your kidding! $14.99 for the Kindle version. Do NOT allow this to happen. I love Vince Flynn novels and have purchased them all. It is time a statement is finally made about the exploding cost of digital books. No publication costs, no distribution costs, no paper, no nothing...it's a friggin' pdf file. I want the authors to get their fair share, but a stand must be taken. Wait a while and buy a used hard copy.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2012 2:35:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2012 2:37:10 PM PDT
PJ says:
I fully agree this is a ripoff. If Amazon is selling the paperback for $9.96 where printing cost, mailing cost, and inventory costs are all incurred, it's an insult to ask $14.99 for the downloaded version... and with the paperback version you can pass it onto a friend when you're finished. I think it's time to go back to paperbacks and the library for what I read.

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 8:44:26 AM PDT
Yes, I concur. I purchased the Kindle with the advertized notion that books would be $9.00. As previously expressed, they have no printing or shipping cost for this $14.99 book. I was gonna upgrade my Kindle, but now I'm rethinking that idea. I'll bet the book will be $12.00 at Costco when it comes out.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 9:23:09 AM PDT
I certainly will not be purchasing the Kindle version either at this outrageous price. I'll buy the paperback and share.

Posted on Sep 21, 2012 8:59:15 AM PDT
Grammie says:
Keep in mind that the paperback does not come out until April 2013. That said, $14.99 is a big NO.
Vince Flynn is responsive to fans, so maybe we need to reach out to him through his own page. Maybe he can talk to his publisher.

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 1:24:59 PM PDT
James says:
Amazon needs to take a lesson from Apple and the itunes store. Jobs insisted the record companies sell for a reasonable
price, and the rest is history. HUGE volumes, and profits.
I totally regret purchasing my Kindle (although I like the function of it, etc) and tell everyone who asks that until they stop ripping us off with a $17 (in Canada) price for an E book that retails as a paperback for $9.99, to avoid, avoid, avoid.
Amazon says "they have no control over publisher set prices"....hogwash. See comment about Apple/Jobs above.

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 1:56:16 PM PDT
Grammie says:
That might make sense, except it was Steve Jobs and Apple who colluded with the publishers to set the Agency Model because he was against Amazon and Barnes and Noble selling e-books at low prices. He didn't want to take losses on books, too. The Federal Law Suit went after Apple along with the publishers in the model.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 9:24:17 AM PDT
San Man says:
I have been very happy with my kindle but have not used it in such a long time for this reason. I bought it and then found out the hoops I have to go through to SHARE books with family and friends. Now they have a gun to my head with the price..?? I think its time to start buying real books again and enjoy the "new book smell" that I dont get with my kindle. So, I have to wait little longer, patience IS a virtue and something I believe we all need a little more of. Vince! you listening?..get on board here brother.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 5:00:54 PM PDT
So does B&N for their Nook, so the problem may not lie with the seller...

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 11:42:27 AM PDT
ASG says:
I would never purchase a digital book for more than $9.
I'll wait for the library to get this as I've done since these prices have become unacceptable.
It's a numbers game people.
Prices will stabilize at a point where price and sales volume hits the greatest profit.
But as the physical print dies off, the digital will be the only way to read a book.
Libraries are closing or cutting back, and you'd be hard pressed to find a book store in your area.

This is the future, and the future stinks...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 12:05:54 PM PDT
Grammie says:
FYI, some libraries now lend books for Kindle. In San Antonio, the public library uses Overdrive and I have had several kindle edition books loaned to me from the library and sent directly to my kindle and iPad for the standard three week loan. Books are also renewable if there is not a waiting list.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 12:10:37 PM PDT
LER says:
When I bought my Kindle books were advertised to sell at $9.99. I thought that was high for a digital book but I was willing to pay because I enjoy reading on my device. At $14.99, nope, uh uh, no way will I pay that price. I have since rediscovered my local library which now is part of a huge system of libraries. It's great!
On my Kindle I now read tons of free books. I refer to http://www.fkbooksandtips.com/ to help me narrow down the list of free books. This website has been a fantastic aid to finding just what I want to read.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 4:30:26 PM PDT
Grammie says:
Price still hasn't dropped. I've placed a reserve on it at the public library. If I see it at 9.99 before I get it from the library, I'll buy it. Hey publisher, losing another one!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 8:35:51 AM PDT
Agree fully-no way the Kindle price should be higher than a paperback, and only slightly less than a hardbound edition. Overt price-gouging! I love Vince Flynn books but will NOT pay this price for a digital edition!

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 5:33:45 PM PDT
Allen s says:
You can thank money grubbing Steve Jobs for the price gouge.
Yeah, I know, that's a sacrilege. But true. Somehow, he was the Teflon guy.

When the iPad was to be an e-reader, Jobs colluded with the publishers to jack up prices
in what he called a "Jedi mind trick".The widow Jobs has $6 billion in the bank, I'm not giving her more.
I was just notified about a class action settlement, but the lawyers will get most of that.
However, I discovered free books, and they are good. For $14.99, I'll spend another $1.50 and get the hardcover, then give it away. Take that, publishers. I love Vince Flynn books, but I won't pay $14.99 for an e-mail.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 7:08:06 PM PDT
Grammie says:
Your more generous than many of us. I'm getting it from the library.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 9:54:49 AM PDT
J. Hagins says:
At this point I do NOT read printed books. Period. I only read Kindle books on my iPad. Pricing like this therefore puts me in a position where my answer is simple NO - I'm not going to read it at all. There are so many new and emerging authors out there publishing on Amazon for $1.99 a book. There is nothing magic about Vince Flynn. I love his stuff and he is a good (not great) writer. I'll keep looking for the diamonds in the rough for $0.99-$1.99.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 11:04:00 AM PDT
Grammie says:
For 2.99 you can get Amazonia by James Rollins. This is one of his earlier books. I am reading it now because I have read the entilre Sigma Force series and love this author. I was happy to see one of Rollins's books at this low price. You will enjoy it.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 11:23:20 AM PDT
I agree. once I finish my inventory of E-books I will get my books at Sams and pass them along to the 5 friends like I use to before I got my kindle as a gift. Yes this price increase was because of Steve Jobs and trying to make even more monay than he already had.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 9:49:45 AM PST
Hansang Bae says:
Yup, I found the books by Andrew Peterson (Nathan McBride Novel) which is very much "Mitch" like. Like I said, I love Vince Flynn's book. But on principle, I will not purchase it.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 12:52:22 AM PST
Gwain says:
Vince's last book was also a ripoff for the Kindle Version, will not be buying or reading any of his books if the ridiculous prices continue!!

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 9:07:42 AM PST
No more HIGH PRICED Kindle books!! Enough is ENOUGH !!

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:55:41 AM PST
Reading Guy says:
I agree with everyone else here that a book in digital format should never cost the same as a printed version and definitely not more. The fact is the cost structure is way less for the digital and on top of that they are not paying for digital copies sitting out their not sold unlike physical versions. I have bought all of the authors books in the past, however at this cost structure i will try out some new authors who write in the same way about the same stuff at half or less than this cost

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 11:15:24 PM PST
It amazes me the ignorance of the masses. I am not a Amazon devotee (I hate the deal they worked out with the state of California) but put the blame where it belongs, with the publisher. Publishers are afraid of being "napster'ed" and having people "under value" their products. Publishers set the wholesale price and the reseller (in this case Amazon) has to have a markup to make a profit & stay in business. Look at the prices of the ebooks that are self published on Amazon, very cheap. No publisher setting the price, although there are other issues, ie. spelling. If you don't believe me look up the recent antitrust suit that was filed against Apple & the major publishers. They were working together to raise the price of their ebooks. Until Amazon has a few best sellers that are self published thru them the publishers will continue to over charge for ebooks.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 9:01:09 AM PST
Grammie says:
"Hachette, Harper Collins, and Simon & Schuster have settled an antitrust lawsuit about e-book prices." While Dan is calling the masses ignorant, he appears ignorant of the fact that publishers are already admitting they were colluding to raise prices and are now setting aside millions as payback to ebook purchasers.
Self publishers are definitely not the answer for me or for Amazon.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  26
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  Sep 5, 2012
Latest post:  May 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Last Man: A Novel (The Mitch Rapp Series Book 13)
The Last Man: A Novel (The Mitch Rapp Series Book 13) by Vince Flynn
4.6 out of 5 stars   (3,296)