Automotive Holiday Deals GG Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: PaperbackChange

Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Stopping Identity Theft: 10 Easy Steps to Security is a very well organized primer on all things related to identity theft and security of your personal financial information. The scope of possible ways that people can obtain and misuse your financial information is so vast that even those who consider themselves to be well-versed in this area will find something to learn here.

Pages 12 and 13 outline the "10 Easy Steps" referred to by the subtitle, though they are interspersed throughout the book. The steps cover everything from knowing your credit and avoiding scams, all the way through stopping identity theft once it has occurred. Along the way, background and supporting information is provided in the form of "USA-Today" style information boxes that provide snapshots of relevant points. The clean structure and good content of the book makes it very easy to quickly read and learn from.

A big part of detecting and responding to identity theft is maintaining your credit, which requires constant vigilance. Even some of the basic things aren't being done as much as they should be, such as regularly reviewing and correcting your credit report. Ironically, every area where one should focus on is also a potential area for new identity theft risks. The author covers, early on, how some websites advertising free credit reports are in fact themselves vehicles for identity theft. Thus, using trusted resources for identifying the legitimate firms and government agencies one needs to contact is half the battle.

The author covers all the areas that people can lower their risk of identity theft, such as avoiding common scams and limiting the exposure of their personal financial information. But he also is quick to point out that there are some areas that are out of our control, such as the security of our data maintained but other companies, institutions and government agencies. Those things are definitely a wake-up call and they make the monitoring and detection of possible identity theft even more important. The author goes to great lengths to make clear that a quick response is critical if one is to minimize the damage.

The author book is peppered with resources and references that are worth the time and aggravation saved from not having to navigate the land-mines that are often found in phony search results and disreputable firms.

At the very end of the book there is a "resources" section on pages 223 and 224. What is most interesting about this section is that while it includes the most likely sought after resources, it does not have all the various links that are peppered throughout the book. It would have definitely been nice if they would have collected all those links along with the contact information in that resources section. However, a link is provided to the companion website that is apparently updated to include more links and ensure the information is kept up to date.

The amount of information covered in this book is vast. Yet the way that it is structured makes it very readable and usable. This will definitely be a book that you will want to use as a resource after reading. The growing number of potential risks out there is definitely a cause for concern. This is definitely recommended for anybody interested in maintaining their credit and avoiding abuse of their identity.

11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Trusted ID dot com is an on-line company that sells identity theft protection for 20 bucks a month, so I was a little apprehensive about the book. I figured Scott Mitic would be selling his on-line services in the book, but not so!

This is a very detailed book, which it needs to be since identity theft can happen in many different situations in your life. Scott Mitic breaks it down into 10 steps (12 chapters in the book). It is easy reading and each chapter can be read separately. There are special areas within each chapter that are highlighted in blue boxes and through graphic illustrations (USA today "Snap Shots").

There is an introduction in Chapter 1 called "Identity Theft--What's the Problem?" which gives you an overview of identity theft and lists the 10 steps generally encompassing:
1. Credit Reporting
6. Shared Personal Information
7. Medical Identity Theft
8. Family Identity Theft
9. Travel
10. How to stop ID theft if it happens to you.

The closing Chapter 12 called "Stay Ahead of the Curve" includes a test to see if you're identity theft savvy. Also included is keeping up with the latest trends, and especially helpful "How paranoid should you be?

This is great reference book to have on hand and highly recommended for everyone!!! Well worth the 20 bucks retail price, or 14 bucks on Amazon!!!
VINE VOICEon January 18, 2010
Format: Audio CDVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Overall, I found this product to be competent, though the audio-book format is probably not the best medium. I'm glad that the publisher included the text in electronic form, since there are references to websites and lists in the audio program. I listened to CDs in my car and they worked flawlessly. Both the narrator and author were clear and easy to understand, and the program was informative and even mildly entertaining.

Identity Theft is a broad topic. In this in this 4-5 hour program, virtually the whole gamut of ID theft is covered, from the various schemes used to steal identities to what actions should be undertaken to repair the damage. Special consideration is given for child/elderly identity theft, medical identity theft, and the securing your personal computer on the internet. The author is the founder of an identity protection outfit, and he discusses pros and cons of various services such as ID theft insurance, etc.

Based on my own experience with identity theft and various scams, the information on these areas is sound. However, some of the computer security advice is out-dated. Notably, people who have wireless networks should use WPA or WPA2 instead of WEP, as the audio program erroneously recommends.

The package includes 5 CDs, 4 comprise the audio program and 1 contains the eBook in PDF format. The Nolo software is unnecessary as it merely links you to Adobe to download Acrobat Reader and then copies the eBook to your computer.

Each audio disc, with odd exception of disc 4, is thoughtfully divided up for easy navigation. Discs 1-3 have 30-40 tracks, each 2-3 minutes long. Each track seemed to cover a complete thought, so while listening, if I needed to hear something again, I found it very convenient to just hit the repeat button instead of fiddling with rewind. Disc 4, while similar in duration to the others, is divided into only a few tracks, each lasting about 10-15 minutes. This inconsistency was aggravating since the methodology I used while listening to the first 3 discs no longer applied.

Stopping Identity Theft is more valuable as a general reference than as a step-by-step manual. It provides a well-rounded foundation for personal identity protection by explaining what thieves are after and what they can do with information that we carelessly hand out. Finally, I believe the publisher has done right by including an electronic copy of the text along with the audio program. This was an excellent companion to the audio-book, and it is my hope that future audio programs will do the same.
VINE VOICEon May 19, 2009
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As someone who has had personal experience with identity theft, I was interested to see what this book had to say about the subject. This book covered areas I had never even considered and is a good introduction to subject. Like most NOLO/USA Today books the author offers a great overview of the many aspects of identity theft and further resources if you want more information on a particular topic.

As I personally learned identity theft has become a lucrative industry. There is so much information about people out there and so few real controls. The moment you give your credit card or its number to anyone, whether giving your card to a waiter or gas station attendant or paying for something over the phone, you run the risk of that number being used illegally. The moment you write your social security number on an information form given to you by a doctor or a credit card company or your bank you run the risk of someone copying that information and using it illegally. It seems like every few months the news has a story of some hacker getting into some supposedly secure financial institution's or retailer's computer system and accessing credit card information or social security numbers.

This book looks at the problem as a whole and them looks at specific areas where people are vulnerable. It talks about protecting financial accounts, dealing with online risk, how to protect yourself while shopping online or at stores, thefts related to health coverage and dangers while on vacation. It also looks at specific areas like being aware of your credit report and changes made to it, how companies collect data and whether you are giving out more information than you need. It also talks about what to do if you are the victim of identity theft.

As with all NOLO/USA Today books there is a great list of identity theft resources at the end of the book and there are great resources listed throughout the chapters. This is important because everyone is at risk and no one is completely safe.

This book will give you ideas on how to protect yourself from identity theft and will also give you an idea of what to do if you are a victim. Sadly, it is a must have book in this day and age.
VINE VOICEon April 28, 2009
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been a techy for all of my life and consider myself very well versed on security and protecting myself online/offline. However, I always keep an open mind when it comes to info in hopes to learn something new... I got this book for that very reason. When it comes to identity theft I don't like to assume I know everything on the topic. As other users have mentioned things change every day with identity theft and the techniques keep getting more and more complex.

I was surprised when I started reading the book that the biggest group of victims, of identity theft, are not the group I thought they would be. With buzzwords like "cyber-crime" floating in our vernacular, in previous years, it was easy to assume most ID theft was online. Evidence shows internet is responsible for only 4% of all the identity theft that goes on.

The other obvious portion of ID theft is credit card statements, snail mail, receipts. I always knew these were important to watch after as well. However, I was surprised to find out these are the bigger culprits of how people steal your info.

However, the reason I like this book is the author outlines things you likely never knew about the crime and various ways to protect yourself (beyond the obvious). (For example the section covering health care)

This book was a grimly eye opening read that we all hope never happens to us. Protecting yourself from ID theft is something everyone living in the modern world needs to do as a matter of responsibility to yourself. We would never leave our home unlocked or keys in the car. The same needs to be true of our information. I feel this book gives a good start on empowering yourself to do that.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There are numerous ways that your finances, your identity and your medical benefits/treatment can become affected. You need to read this book. Every aspect of protecting your vital information, namely your Social Security Number, and your credit record are discussed. From receiving your credit report to interpretation of each area, to correcting disputes on your report are outlined. Computer security with online shopping, online banking, emails, phishing, scams and fake websites are covered. How to protect your computer by dealing with adware/spyware, trojans and viruses are an important element in protecting yourself.

Is shopping at a Brick and Mortar store safer? Is shopping online safe? How do you protect yourself from identity theft? What about surveys over the telephone? How safe is your checkbook, your receipts and your mail?

The book is well organized, clearly written and boxes highlight important points. There are relevant websites, phone numbers and organizations that can help you protect yourself and your loved ones.

This book has so much important information that it would be a crime for you not to read this book.

I highly recommend it.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Like most of us, I've been bombarded with offers from credit card companies and others offering identity theft protection. I didn't think I needed it, but really wasn't sure.

Well, I'm still not sure, but I feel a lot more informed after reading this and I now see that there are simple things we can do (some we were already doing) to protect ourselves.

Like another reviewer, I could have done without the dumb USA Today charts, but I did learn a lot here. For example, I'd never thought about identity theft for medical insurance purposes and the problems that can bring.

I recommend this as a handy overview and refernce.
VINE VOICEon July 22, 2009
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This primer is a great narrative on what ID theft is and what to be aware of in all aspects of life not just in the internet. I really like that the guide is readable and the information is hefty enough for even the neurotic paranoid. I really especially liked that the author covered the topic of social networking. I was glad to see it being discussed because I've seen the phishing scams and inquiries in those sites and there are so many random people sending friend invites. [..] is an example since it steals your address book.

This primer has joined my book shelf as one of my permanent reference books.
VINE VOICEon April 23, 2009
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I enjoyed this book a lot because it was a concise listing of ways to protect yourself. You can make the case a lot of this common sense, but cyber crime is getting more sophisticated as we speak.

It's a handy reference for you to revisit again and again.
VINE VOICEon May 24, 2010
Format: Audio CDVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
ID theft happens, no matter how well protected you think you are. In my case, my bank's debit card was used to charge $2,000+ worth of construction work done to lay down a driveway, and then used a few days later for another big-ticket purchase. The company to whom it was charged is a well-respected, local construction firm that claimed this was the credit card number they were given. I filed a report with my bank and, after 10 days, I got the money back in my account. To this day, I have no inkling of how this happened, except that, possibly, the credit card number was stolen by a restaurant worker who had it in his possession when he went to the back room to run it through a credit card machine. (This is why it's best to have a credit card, not your bank's debit card, for public purchases.)

Most people do little, if anything, to protect their identities on and off line.

Given that this instance is the only time I've had my ID compromised, that's not bad. But, over the years, I've minimized it by following many of the same things that this primer on ID theft recommends.

The book's virtue is its simplicity, its no-nonsense tone, and it's straightforward approach with a lot of common sense advice. If you have not taken the time out of your life to sit down and read a book like this, with a highlighter in hand for key passages, you may ultimately regret it: Credit ID thieves are always on the prowl and their numbers are increasing, because it's hard to track these people down and the law enforcement won't bother with small amounts. The best thing to do is minimize, or if at all possible PREVENT, your ID from being stolen.

I have several books on the subject. I like this one because it's the one I'd give my mother--it tells her what she NEEDS to know, in a way that it's comprehensible to virtually anyone.

USA TODAY teamed up with NOLO PRESS on this title, so you have double assurance that the contents are fastidiously accurate.