Industrial Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now HTL

Format: Amazon Instant VideoChange

on March 1, 2012
I manage a storage facility in Southern California. I hate to tell you this, but there are a lot of reasons people "default" on their stuff. Sometimes it is a death, jobless, but honestly, most of the time, it is just that that person (or company) realized that they have paid on the stuff for so long, that it is just not worth it anymore. My current price on a 10 X 20 unit is $309 per month, plus $9 for insurance. People pay it every day, an a lot of them are happy to pay it. But it doesn't take long to tell yourself that you are upside down on the items. If you have a sofa that has been in storage for three months, it is easy to say "time to let that one go, and just buy a new one".

We make every attempt to get the people in here to pay, even offering them the ability to move out for next to nothing. Sometimes, even move out for free. By the time it happens, it is too late to feel sorry for them.

As for the coin collections and such, a lot of times, the kids put grandmas stuff in storage after she died, and they didn't know what was in the boxes. Or more likely (especially lately) it is stuff that "The Talent"had in his store, that he brought with him to make it look a lot more interesting for the show.

I have had the show filmed here, and I know what I am speaking of. One time, I saw the same stuff that the one buyer had purchased at an auction here, that he "discovered" in a unit. It was right on top of the stuff he bought here, and the bidding got pretty fierce because of it.
While these guys are the real deal, (Barry is a true crack up) they are simply acting for the show. In fact, when they filmed here, they ALL got into Darryls truck and went to lunch's an act folks...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2013
love it. rent buy. if you like to laugh out loud, giggle learn a little history. I would recommend this
on November 17, 2011
Storage Wars is a 20-minute fast-paced show with 2 acts.

Act 1: Bidding Wars
Our main characters, along with others who happen to be there, compete in auctions for storage garages (when people don't pay their rent on their unit, they go up for sale).

The main attraction here is the competing nature of the characters. Throwing nasty wods and occasional assistance, mixed with money and profit, makes for some good drama.

Act 2: The Appraisal
The characters appraise anything worth value. The appraisers often give history and meaning behind the value. It's like a competitive version of the Antiques Roadshow or Pawn Stars.

You'll learn interesting facts about both interesting and mundane pieces. A seemingly dull punch bowl might net thousands while an interesting antique Coke product might turn out to be an artificially aged fake. It's especially fun when the poeple you don't like end up with the fakes.

The Characters:

Each character has their own purposes.

Dave has a giant shop to keep stocked, so he's after high-end profits. He has tons of money to bring to the table and a large team to help move.

Jarrod and Brandi have a quaint little shop with very little money to spend. So they're after the marketable stock.

Darrell is a sniper of a bidder. He'll be quiet until something very nice shows up. He's looking for high profit goods to sell.

Barry is a retired guy looking for unique collector's items. He could care less about making a profit. He only bids when he thinks the unit has something he wants to put in his living room.

This is a great show to watch for the character interactions and the appraisals. However, it's not terribly great for rewatch value.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2013
Love watching all the great things people find in those storage units. Can't believe all those items are left behind.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
A&E's reality hit "Storage Wars" has the irresistible allure of a modern day treasure hunt. It is dumpster diving for the age of economic default. As with most reality programming, there is a bit of contrivance to the set-up. A crew of easily definable characters is established that will be your guide for the nineteen episodes of Season One. With titles such as The Collector and The Gambler, the primary stars of "Storage Wars" are a quartet of entrepreneurs that go to auctions to purchase unclaimed and unpaid storage facilities. With five minutes to peruse the contents of a unit from afar (they aren't allowed into a space or to touch anything), they must decide whether or not to bid on the property. Using savvy or instinct, it's pay and play for our heroes--who sometimes score big rewards or major disappointment.

While, to my mind, the concept alone doesn't necessarily scream entertainment--there is no denying the fascination in this culture of uncovering something for nothing. Of course, the idea is to claim a space for the lowest price possible, but bidders oftentimes drive the auction up on one another simply to deplete their cash supply. Every transaction is done with folding money only, so any apparent treasures tend to go to the fellow with the largest stack. This becomes evident early on when a unit of restaurant machinery sells for around $2700 and its obvious resale value would far exceed that. While glib and irresistible, the show spends little time exploring the darker aspect of its premise. Just what awful circumstance befell the unit renter that caused a default on a space with $20K worth of equipment? There is a sadder underbelly when you think too hard about it all.

But let's not dwell. This is reality adventure and is certainly successful entertainment. The personalities involved are colorful and play for the camera. Everyone loves a gamble and so this can become an easy addiction. With an episode coming in just over 20 minutes, the show is fast paced, amusing, and has an almost instant payoff. Sometimes when they hit a big payday, I had to wonder "why didn't I think of doing this?" Other times, I just think "who needs more junk in their lives." You can't help but play along. At one point, a half empty space looks worthless only to have a mini BMW in it. Anything is possible, and unraveling the mysteries is part of the show's excitement. Fun and lightweight, the first season runs approximately 7 hours over 3 DVDs (with the previously mentioned 19 episodes). KGHarris, 8/11.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2014
Seriously, these people are nasty, especially the thrift store wife. She shows her colors, and drags her husband down every chance she gets. I can't stand her and could only watch a few episodes. These people make their living on the misfortune of others. Yuck!
on April 12, 2015
I bought this for a buck at a yard-sale. Did I get my money's worth? Yes...but if I paid more, I'd have been disappointed.

So, I watched all 19 episodes over both days this weekend. I admit that I was a bit hooked at times, but it had nothing to do with any of the actors. The excitement came from just seeing a cool find, but was diminished when I knew a jerk bought it.

Various thoughts...

- the woman Brandi was pretty-annoying at times; "Really? You're falling for Dave's tricks again and spending our entire day's budget on one locker?" she mentioned in one episode; I found myself saying to the TV "You're ridiculous. Say something right to the guy you're in business with and not the viewing audience."; she's 'done' inaction like this before

- Barry is the most likable, with some funny ideas (the small-person on stilts to see in the back with night-vision: awesome; psychics: silly) and even offering stuff from his bins to others

- only in the final episodes do you see others actually bidding and not just the main players; others are never named by the auction-guy; of course, he knows the names of the "pros"; it annoys me to see people just standing around and not even looking in the storage units; there is no episode where anybody outside of the actors lost a locker to someone who wasn't a part of the show

- Darrell was alright overall (I hear that he's more of a jerk later, so...whatever; I'll never know)

- Dave was an unfunny clown in every episode, with a smug look and the most-visible greed; I'd never buy anything from any store he's involved with; he bids on stuff he doesn't want in order to "prove a point" and to be sure that the competition pays more; his character is there since the creators would want someone that people "love to hate" who hope to see him by a crap-unit; sadly, there are people behaving this way in many businesses

- buyer Barry to annoying Dave: "Actors are professional. You're the one that referred to this as a profession. It's an auction."; to me, this is just showing that everyone's an actor and I don't believe any of this is real

- in a later episode, a bin was shown containing a car and it was said that the car wasn't included since, by law, they had to notify the DMV and have something done first; however, in an earlier episode, an old, odd-shaped vehicle in a bin was sold (it was covered-up and unknown ... so, there's a difference when it's not seen? there's no standard rule of "if you find a car, you must do (this)"?

UPDATE 4.18: I reluctantly watched the first episode again and realized that one guy bought a car in there; this car was about the only thing in there and definitely recognizable as a normal car with a cover over it; any mention of the DMV? nope; maybe the law wasn't in effect until many episodes later?

- the first episode's opening spoke of how the storage space of these things in America covers so much space that there would be enough room for every "man, woman, and child to fill 7 times over" (close to that); I doubt that's true (and it was only mentioned in the first episode)

So, I give this a generous two-star rating (which accurately means 'I don't like it' according to Amazon). I won't be seeing any of these again and don't care about any other episodes.

I've had more fun with "Pat, the NES Punk's" FLEA-MARKET MADNESS on YouTube than with this. I'm into filming my thrift-store and rummage-sale experiences while commenting and having a good time. Even if I can't afford certain things, just hearing stories about stuff or seeing neat items and having a recording of it is a blast.

Hopefully, I can make a profit and sell this three-disc set for $2. This could have been much-more interesting to me, but in the end I must bid "Yeahhhppp!" ... I mean "Nohhhpppe!"

UPDATE 4.13.2015: I've now read that the guy had "Yuuup!" trademarked and there's lame merchandise with it; interested? "Nohhhpe!" (TM)
on May 30, 2014
I watch Storage Hunters and it seems more interesting than this. You have a couple who own a second hand store who want to buy bins to get stock (the youngster), a guy who wants stuff to sell at the swap meet (the gambler), a rich guy who wants to find a cool object to collect or sell (the collector), and a complete jerk who thinks he is king of the trailer trash (the mogul). The jerk (Dave Hester) doesn't want to buy the bin, yet he loves to bid everyone up and make them pay more. He wins nothing but people hating him. The only people who win on this are the storage facilities and the auctioneers. The gambler (Darrell) is just horrible to his son who is trying to learn the business. If I were his son, I would go get a job somewhere else. The young couple (Brandi and Jarrod) are fairly likeable, but sometimes they call each other horrible names which is sad. The collector (Barry) is the most likeable and funny one there. I mostly enjoy all his cars and motorcycles he drives to the auctions. He is the nicest of the people (always treating them to snacks and giving people parts of bins).

The part that isn't very true is when an idiot like Hester starts stating what items are worth. He will say "this is worth $199 retail, I am MAKING MONEY!" Yeah, not really. Cut the price in at least half and then realize that some of this stuff is in storage because it could not sell at all. At least Jarrod and Darrell put more realistic prices on their items. I just do not understand why a bidder feels they have to "school" another bidder or if someone comes to their "backyard." Who cares if a new person wins a bin that they do not want anyway? Why do they have to make the person pay hundreds or thousands of dollars more? Hester will say things like "I would never sell this junk anyway, but I want to make him pay." WHY? These people don't even sell the types of things he does and putting a company out of business is a pretty terrible thing to do (he hasn't yet, but it seems like he wants to be the only person in the world who owns a company).
on August 16, 2013
I have to agree with Dave Hester, he is the best at what he does. Unfortunately for the show what he does is show us that he is the biggest jerk and not the best storage unit buyer.
on February 22, 2013
Two years ago, A&E's Storage Wars came out of nowhere and quickly became one of the highest rated shows on cable. The show is extremely addictive and I watch it religiously, but why? Most people think it has something to with the mystery about what's behind the door or the hunt for buried treasure, as usual; I have a different take on things. The reason this show is as popular as is it, is the buyers themselves. Reality TV is about watching real people in real situations. We like to see people who are just like us, struggling to survive, fighting with co-workers, etc. The cast of Storage Wars are people that we can relate to and more than that, they are interesting as well. Every week I can't wait to see what Barry does, who Dave's gonna fight with, and what inappropriate thing Jarrod is going to say to his wife. I believe the show's popularity has little to do with what's behind the door. It's the unique and interesting cast that keeps us coming back for more. The truth is that it doesn't matter if it's storage auction buyers, repo-men, meter maids, or hand fisherman, what we want is people we like and can easily relate to in different situation both inside and out of the office, and Storage Wars provides that and then some.