5.0 out of 5 stars Great
love it. rent buy. if you like to laugh out loud, giggle learn a little history. I would recommend this
Published 22 months ago by susan

3.0 out of 5 stars just remember, it is entertainment.
Published on March 1, 2012 by Karen

3.0 out of 5 stars just remember, it is entertainment., March 1, 2012
Karen (Beautiful Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storage Wars: Season 1 (DVD)
I manage a storage facility in Southern California. I hate to tell you this, but there are a lot of reasons people "default" on their stuff. Sometimes it is a death, jobless, but honestly, most of the time, it is just that that person (or company) realized that they have paid on the stuff for so long, that it is just not worth it anymore. My current price on a 10 X 20 unit is $309 per month, plus $9 for insurance. People pay it every day, an a lot of them are happy to pay it. But it doesn't take long to tell yourself that you are upside down on the items. If you have a sofa that has been in storage for three months, it is easy to say "time to let that one go, and just buy a new one".

We make every attempt to get the people in here to pay, even offering them the ability to move out for next to nothing. Sometimes, even move out for free. By the time it happens, it is too late to feel sorry for them.

As for the coin collections and such, a lot of times, the kids put grandmas stuff in storage after she died, and they didn't know what was in the boxes. Or more likely (especially lately) it is stuff that "The Talent"had in his store, that he brought with him to make it look a lot more interesting for the show.

I have had the show filmed here, and I know what I am speaking of. One time, I saw the same stuff that the one buyer had purchased at an auction here, that he "discovered" in a unit. It was right on top of the stuff he bought here, and the bidding got pretty fierce because of it.
While these guys are the real deal, (Barry is a true crack up) they are simply acting for the show. In fact, when they filmed here, they ALL got into Darryls truck and went to lunch together...it's an act folks...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, February 25, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., February 23, 2013
I'm kind of ashamed that I love this show so much, but I really do. I always do a Storage Wars marathon when I'm sick (for free through Amazon Prime, yay!), so I've seen quite a few episodes. It's nothing fancy, but always entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome., February 24, 2013
Love watching all the great things people find in those storage units. Can't believe all those items are left behind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, little rewatch value, November 17, 2011
This review is from: Storage Wars: Season 1 (DVD)
Storage Wars is a 20-minute fast-paced show with 2 acts.

Act 1: Bidding Wars
Our main characters, along with others who happen to be there, compete in auctions for storage garages (when people don't pay their rent on their unit, they go up for sale).

The main attraction here is the competing nature of the characters. Throwing nasty wods and occasional assistance, mixed with money and profit, makes for some good drama.

Act 2: The Appraisal
The characters appraise anything worth value. The appraisers often give history and meaning behind the value. It's like a competitive version of the Antiques Roadshow or Pawn Stars.

You'll learn interesting facts about both interesting and mundane pieces. A seemingly dull punch bowl might net thousands while an interesting antique Coke product might turn out to be an artificially aged fake. It's especially fun when the poeple you don't like end up with the fakes.

The Characters:

Each character has their own purposes.

Dave has a giant shop to keep stocked, so he's after high-end profits. He has tons of money to bring to the table and a large team to help move.

Jarrod and Brandi have a quaint little shop with very little money to spend. So they're after the marketable stock.

Darrell is a sniper of a bidder. He'll be quiet until something very nice shows up. He's looking for high profit goods to sell.

Barry is a retired guy looking for unique collector's items. He could care less about making a profit. He only bids when he thinks the unit has something he wants to put in his living room.

This is a great show to watch for the character interactions and the appraisals. However, it's not terribly great for rewatch value.

3.0 out of 5 stars Show is okay - one of the bidders is a bit of a jerk, August 16, 2013
I have to agree with Dave Hester, he is the best at what he does. Unfortunately for the show what he does is show us that he is the biggest jerk and not the best storage unit buyer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern Day Treasure Hunters--An A&E Reality Series Of High Stakes (And Low Dollar) Gambling, August 11, 2011
This review is from: Storage Wars: Season 1 (DVD)
A&E's reality hit "Storage Wars" has the irresistible allure of a modern day treasure hunt. It is dumpster diving for the age of economic default. As with most reality programming, there is a bit of contrivance to the set-up. A crew of easily definable characters is established that will be your guide for the nineteen episodes of Season One. With titles such as The Collector and The Gambler, the primary stars of "Storage Wars" are a quartet of entrepreneurs that go to auctions to purchase unclaimed and unpaid storage facilities. With five minutes to peruse the contents of a unit from afar (they aren't allowed into a space or to touch anything), they must decide whether or not to bid on the property. Using savvy or instinct, it's pay and play for our heroes--who sometimes score big rewards or major disappointment.

While, to my mind, the concept alone doesn't necessarily scream entertainment--there is no denying the fascination in this culture of uncovering something for nothing. Of course, the idea is to claim a space for the lowest price possible, but bidders oftentimes drive the auction up on one another simply to deplete their cash supply. Every transaction is done with folding money only, so any apparent treasures tend to go to the fellow with the largest stack. This becomes evident early on when a unit of restaurant machinery sells for around $2700 and its obvious resale value would far exceed that. While glib and irresistible, the show spends little time exploring the darker aspect of its premise. Just what awful circumstance befell the unit renter that caused a default on a space with $20K worth of equipment? There is a sadder underbelly when you think too hard about it all.

But let's not dwell. This is reality adventure and is certainly successful entertainment. The personalities involved are colorful and play for the camera. Everyone loves a gamble and so this can become an easy addiction. With an episode coming in just over 20 minutes, the show is fast paced, amusing, and has an almost instant payoff. Sometimes when they hit a big payday, I had to wonder "why didn't I think of doing this?" Other times, I just think "who needs more junk in their lives." You can't help but play along. At one point, a half empty space looks worthless only to have a mini BMW in it. Anything is possible, and unraveling the mysteries is part of the show's excitement. Fun and lightweight, the first season runs approximately 7 hours over 3 DVDs (with the previously mentioned 19 episodes). KGHarris, 8/11.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining - but a bit formulaic, February 25, 2011
There are two "storage pickers" shows out there. This one and Auction Hunters. I prefer Storage Wars since I find the 'characters' far more interesting in this show.

The show centers around a group of four auction hunters (each has a nickname such as "gambler" and "maverick"). Each of the groups has a different perspective/reason for coming to the storage locker auctions. As an example, one is a husband/wife team who own a small thrift store and are looking for items to sell at their shop. Another character is a guy who is looking for big ticket items hidden in the lockers.

The show really is like a treasure hunt - you never know what they will find. I am a bit skeptical of the estimated price of the items. The figures seem to be really random or unreliable. And when they add up the estimates of value at the end of the show, one group is declared a winner for the week - but with the randomness of the estimates, it seems a bit silly.

In all, I enjoyed the first season greatly and look forward to season 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta Love Barry, February 26, 2013
I love storage wars. Love to see what they have in those garages. Wish I were younger, so I could do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have often wondered about storage vault auctions..., March 11, 2013
Like many people, I saw the ads in the classifieds but never took that first step. Until I saw this show! I am so hooked. And, I don't even have to leave home. Just watching Storage Wars satisfies my desire for adventure, my deep rooted yearning to find treasure, and that ever dangling carrot that I could make a fortune with just one good locker. The cast of charaters is great too. As they each seem to represent a part of me. It has introduced me to a whole new way of life. Storage Wars Season 1 is definitely a 5 star!

Storage Wars: Season 1
Storage Wars: Season 1 by A&E Entertainment (DVD - 2011)
$19.98 $12.89