5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Young Children and their Families, August 21, 2012
I'm thankful to have discovered another incredibly good album for kids, Rain for Roots: Big Stories for Little Ones. The album is a result of a perfect match, the literary talent of Sally Lloyd-Jones, author of the widely acclaimed The Jesus Storybook Bible Deluxe Edition, paired with the musical talent of four gifted singer-songwriters (Sandra McCracken, Ellie Holcomb, Flo Paris, and Katy Bowser). The lyrics, which come from Lloyd-Jones's Baby's Hug-a-Bible, have been set to simple folk melodies that are relatively simple so that they can be picked up easily by young children, however they avoid the dangers of being overly simplistic or repetitious. And while the melodies are simple, they are fleshed out beautifully, and in diverse ways (varied tempos, different instrumentation, etc.), by these outstanding singer-songwriters and other talented musicians, including some of their husbands. On a few songs, some of the singers' children sing along, offering a subtle encouragement to little listeners to sing along as well. They've also included in the lyric booklet (with the physical CD) guitar chords and tunings for the songs, so that children or families could enjoy playing and singing them together. Perhaps most importantly, these songs do a great job of instilling in children the basic notion that God loves and cares for them individually, while reminding them God's love is for all creation. The manner in which the album has been made by a community of believers (who fittingly conclude the album with an a cappella rendition of "Doxology" by the contributors and their families) rather than an isolated individual implicitly reinforces this communal ideal. This is a great album we'll enjoy with our son for years to come!

4.0 out of 5 stars Go for the MP3, March 25, 2013
This review is from: Big Stories for Little Ones (Audio CD)
I had read on a previous review that a lyrics booklet was included when buying the CD, but it's not anymore. Instead you would have to download the PDF online. So, I would recommend you buy the MP3 that is cheaper.
Otherwise great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, August 21, 2012
This is a great album, we keep it in the car stereo and it calms my kids when they are getting crazy. Songs get stuck in my head for days tho!

5.0 out of 5 stars It grew on me, we love it!, January 1, 2013
This review is from: Big Stories for Little Ones (Audio CD)
When I saw this record come out earlier last year, I listened to a few of the sample clips and for some reason didn't particularly care for it. I passed. Then while trying to think of a good gift idea for our 2 1/2 year old, I thought of it and decided to give it a try. I'm so glad I did! Half of the songs testify explicitly of the Lord Jesus Christ in simple language and to simple melodies that my daughter can grasp. "His name is Jesus, Lord of all, and He will answer when you call." - is playing right now while I type this.

The music is laid back, folk instrumentation - acoustic guitars, a tamborine, banjo, piano. The songwriting is superb, and I find myself singing along because I like it. We've had kid's tapes in the car that I dread to play when my daughter asks for them, the tunes are annoying, even though the words are good. This CD blends the best of both - excellent God glorifying, Christ exalting lyrics that a child can grasp set to excellent music. I highly recommend it. We love it!

And as usual, amazon mp3 is the best price anywhere, better than itunes, though you might consider supporting the artists directly for a few more dollars, and purchasing from their website :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars My daughter in law requested this for her 5 mo old son, January 11, 2014
This review is from: Big Stories for Little Ones (Audio CD)
Our daughter-in-law wanted this for her second son. She said it was less something different and she really liked the folksy music. I listened before I bought it just to get an idea. While it is different I found a couple others I liked better. But since she loved this we got it of course!!!!! And our little grandson will love it too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids' music that mom can enjoy, too, January 7, 2014
This review is from: Big Stories for Little Ones (Audio CD)
These ladies are clearly musicians AND moms. The album is full of great music with lyrics written by Sally Lloyd-Jones of the Jesus Storybook Bible. I often find myself listening to it even when the kids are napping :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful children's cd!, November 22, 2013
This review is from: Big Stories for Little Ones (Audio CD)
This is such a beautiful cd of children's music! I love the songs myself and find myself listening to it even if my kids aren't in the room. Beautiful truths.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly lovely lullabyes, November 22, 2013
New favorite lullaby playlist. In fact, I can't stop listening since I purchased it yesterday. I held my baby girl in my arms last night, and let it put us both to sleep last night!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous CD for parents and kids, October 26, 2013
This review is from: Big Stories for Little Ones (Audio CD)
Some friends gifted us this CD when our son was born, and it is probably our favorite album for non-theologically questionable songs. :-) Our son finds the songs catchy and memorable, and my husband and I often catch ourselves singing them ourselves. This is now one of our go-to gifts for baby showers and early birthdays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, October 7, 2013
This review is from: Big Stories for Little Ones (Audio CD)
Love this! My kids (2 years-10 years) love it too. So thankful for quality music with such life shaping themes.

Big Stories for Little Ones
Big Stories for Little Ones by Rain for Roots (Audio CD - 2012)
Rate and Discover Movies