Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on August 21, 2012
I'm thankful to have discovered another incredibly good album for kids, Rain for Roots: Big Stories for Little Ones. The album is a result of a perfect match, the literary talent of Sally Lloyd-Jones, author of the widely acclaimed The Jesus Storybook Bible Deluxe Edition, paired with the musical talent of four gifted singer-songwriters (Sandra McCracken, Ellie Holcomb, Flo Paris, and Katy Bowser). The lyrics, which come from Lloyd-Jones's Baby's Hug-a-Bible, have been set to simple folk melodies that are relatively simple so that they can be picked up easily by young children, however they avoid the dangers of being overly simplistic or repetitious. And while the melodies are simple, they are fleshed out beautifully, and in diverse ways (varied tempos, different instrumentation, etc.), by these outstanding singer-songwriters and other talented musicians, including some of their husbands. On a few songs, some of the singers' children sing along, offering a subtle encouragement to little listeners to sing along as well. They've also included in the lyric booklet (with the physical CD) guitar chords and tunings for the songs, so that children or families could enjoy playing and singing them together. Perhaps most importantly, these songs do a great job of instilling in children the basic notion that God loves and cares for them individually, while reminding them God's love is for all creation. The manner in which the album has been made by a community of believers (who fittingly conclude the album with an a cappella rendition of "Doxology" by the contributors and their families) rather than an isolated individual implicitly reinforces this communal ideal. This is a great album we'll enjoy with our son for years to come!
on March 25, 2013
I had read on a previous review that a lyrics booklet was included when buying the CD, but it's not anymore. Instead you would have to download the PDF online. So, I would recommend you buy the MP3 that is cheaper.
Otherwise great product!
on January 1, 2013
When I saw this record come out earlier last year, I listened to a few of the sample clips and for some reason didn't particularly care for it. I passed. Then while trying to think of a good gift idea for our 2 1/2 year old, I thought of it and decided to give it a try. I'm so glad I did! Half of the songs testify explicitly of the Lord Jesus Christ in simple language and to simple melodies that my daughter can grasp. "His name is Jesus, Lord of all, and He will answer when you call." - is playing right now while I type this.

The music is laid back, folk instrumentation - acoustic guitars, a tamborine, banjo, piano. The songwriting is superb, and I find myself singing along because I like it. We've had kid's tapes in the car that I dread to play when my daughter asks for them, the tunes are annoying, even though the words are good. This CD blends the best of both - excellent God glorifying, Christ exalting lyrics that a child can grasp set to excellent music. I highly recommend it. We love it!

And as usual, amazon mp3 is the best price anywhere, better than itunes, though you might consider supporting the artists directly for a few more dollars, and purchasing from their website :-)
on August 21, 2012
This is a great album, we keep it in the car stereo and it calms my kids when they are getting crazy. Songs get stuck in my head for days tho!
on January 11, 2014
Our daughter-in-law wanted this for her second son. She said it was less something different and she really liked the folksy music. I listened before I bought it just to get an idea. While it is different I found a couple others I liked better. But since she loved this we got it of course!!!!! And our little grandson will love it too!
on January 3, 2013
For years, now, the folks involved in the Indelible Grace project have been resurrecting precious hymns lamentably left on the wayside of history. Hundreds of old songs have been given new life with new music and their rich, theologically robust lyrics made accessible to a generation fed up on both the shallow and the stuffy. The gals who formed Rain for Roots have been a part of this laudable movement, and this is just as much an extension of that vision.

These songs are the poetry of Sally Lloyd-Jones, put to simple, lovely (and catchy) folk tunes. They are designed to help pass on the story of God's faithfulness and love to our little ones, catechizing them into the language of His character, and priming them to receive and enjoy the gospel. As one who deeply feels the transient, rootlessness caused by a generational rejection of tradition, I realized that I didn't have anything meaningful to sing to my young children as lullabies. Songs from this album come to my head throughout the day and have given some sweet words to remind my family and me of the goodness of God.
on April 24, 2015
This album is really wonderful, nice, simple lyrics and melodies. Has been a favorite of ours for our now toddler for several years. She likes singing along with the songs, and I don't mind listening to them!
on October 26, 2013
Some friends gifted us this CD when our son was born, and it is probably our favorite album for non-theologically questionable songs. :-) Our son finds the songs catchy and memorable, and my husband and I often catch ourselves singing them ourselves. This is now one of our go-to gifts for baby showers and early birthdays.
on November 17, 2014
On one hand, this CD is great. If I had Baby's Hug-a-Bible by Sally Lloyd Jones, I might like it more. Each song corresponds to a story from her book. As it is, the songs feel rather "formulaic" after a while, because almost every song lyric is a question (like "Who kept Noah safe from harm?"), the answer to which is God.

On the other hand, I really love the song about baby Moses. "Who saved a baby in a boat? Who kept the baby's boat afloat? Who loved the baby in the reeds? Who knows just what a baby needs?"

See what I mean about the questions?
on September 22, 2013
I love this CD. It is very soothing to parents and children, and the message in each song is wonderful. My favorite part about it is that the refrain/chorus focuses on a message about God, not just the Bible character.