4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile and Beautiful piece for nursery!
Published 24 months ago by Andrea Callahan

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, Horrible Smell
Published 15 months ago by kyle

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile and Beautiful piece for nursery!, July 26, 2012
This review is from: Stork Craft Portofino 4-in-1 Fixed Side Convertible Crib and Changer, Espresso (Baby Product)
I looked for a crib for many months before deciding on this one. With Amazon's free shipping and no sales tax it was the best deal on the web by far as well as the added benefit of free returns if purchased from a gift registry. This was pretty essential since buying blind on the web without seeing a product (especially one as large and expensive as this one) can end up being a terrible decision but Amazon took away that fear and has made the decision to make purchases from their site our "Go-to" move. Basically once again Amazon did exactly as they promised and the buying through them was pain free and easy as pie.

As for the product itself, once I received the pieces and started assembling them with my husband, I knew I made the right decision going with this crib and the line itself. The crib is beautiful and with the attached changing table it makes our nursery (which is only a room about 10'x10') seem like it has a lot more space. I highly recommend this crib and changer specifically for those looking to save space with a changer that doesn't run length wise along the wall which obviously takes up a lot more space. The setup was also not too bad, we split the build into 2 days since we started late the first night, but overall only took about 2 hours going at a fairly leisurely pace.

One of the negatives I have seen is that the side of the crib that is attached to the changing table right now would make it so that we wouldn't be able to separate the changing table from the crib until we plan to convert this into a full-size bed since the side of the changing table is what makes up the right side of the crib. That being said, in our personal situation we won't need to separate these two pieces until that time so the issue is moot but for others contemplating all of the options, this is one of the drawbacks I have discovered.

Another slight negative comes with the changer specifically. After contemplating how I was going to be using the changer (e.g. needing easy access to wipes, diapers, baby powder, diaper rash cream, etc.) I noticed that the shelves that are located on the side of the changer might not make this the easiest setup. The openings aren't very tall and the space is really deep which is great for holding lots of items but making most too hard to reach when you have a squirmy baby on the changing table. However, I did find some great slide-out wire drawers from Bed Bath & Beyond and attached them to the top and middle shelves. I did leave the bottom one open in case I want to store some larger stuff, plus the bottom shelf has a lip at the bottom edge making this a little more difficult to find a slide-out drawer that could clear this lip. These are very nit-picky things but something to think about when you're putting this much money into an investment like this.

And one last nit pick about the changer is that the space for the changing pad is smaller than almost every changing pad you can buy and the one that comes with the changer is super flimsy and thin. This made me go on a search for a pad that would fit the small space and provide a little more cushion for my little one. After searching for many hours on Amazon and finally moving onto another site, unsuccessfully also, I realized there are almost no changing pads out there that are the right size for this changer (the length head to toe is about 27" or 28"). Almost all changers are 30" at the shortest, one I found was 29" but was too wide, but nothing shorter than 29". After lots of going back and forth I decided on the LA Baby 4 Sided Changing Pad 30", White from Amazon. As shown in the title, IT IS 30" long, however I decided to try it and just cut off the length to fit the space on my changer since I would be putting a cover over it anyway. I just received that in the mail and decided to see if it would fit in the space on the changer before I cut it up and I was able to kind of just squish it in. I'm usually kind of a freak about not putting things into spaces they don't exactly fit into but this honestly works perfectly. It also makes it so that I don't have to screw the pad into the changer to make sure it doesn't move around, it just wedges tightly into the top space. So this negative is ultimately not a negative at all since I'm sure there are other changing pads you can order that fit your style, budget, desires, etc. that will also wedge into the space so don't worry!

Overall giving this 4 stars since there are some things that could have been better but the VALUE is tremendous and the main reason this gets above average in my book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, August 13, 2011
I'm happy with this purchase..Assembled it all by myself..Would have taken about 2 hrs but with my newborn..took me about 4 :)..Great step by step instructions which made it easy to follow..Only thing I don't like..is the quality of the open shelves in the back...the shelf is laminate and not covered on the edges..so from the side of the crib you have a view of a plain unstained wood edge..I will be staining this to blend in..

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, Horrible Smell, April 28, 2013
So the crib came in the mail, I lugged it upstairs to the nursery. When I opened the box there was a horrible odor coming from inside. I figured it just needed to air out. So I put the crib together ( which was easier than expected considering some of the reviews). When the crib was finished it was beautiful and looked sturdy. I opened the windows in the room and put a fan in to move the air around. Skip to three months later. The chemical smell has not dissipated at all the windows have been open for just about everyday. I cleaned it with just about everything imaginable and nothing worked. I looked online and it said that this could be the chemicals in the wood off gassing, which by the way is toxic and can cause SIDS, so I called storkcraft and spoke to customer service and they pretty much said it was normal and there was nothing they could do because a smell was not a defect. The crib is unusable and the nursery smells like chemicals. So I disassembled it and put it in the garage and within minutes the garage smelled just like the nursery had. I would not recommend this crib based on that horrible stench. If you buy this and have the same problem be prepared to go buy another crib and so goodbye to that three hundred dollars.

1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't believe it but - Eye burning smell, May 7, 2014
I have to say "Stay away". I don't do this lightly and I'm not a complainer. There is something wrong here.

Ok I've seen some people complain that this crib had a bad smell. i didn't believe it.
Some people said it was fine others tossed the crib.

Bought it, and received it undamaged about a month ago. Color was nice. No problems with scratches or anything quality or visible. Open the box and set it up. Set up is a little difficult but not impossible. Took 2 people about 2 hrs in cramped quarters.

About the 3rd day their was an eye burning acrid smell in the nursery room. No better way of identifying it. I opened the door and the smell traveled into the first floor of the house. So I opened the windows and aired out the room. I figured give it a few days to air out, and it would be ok. The thing still smells after a month of air and cross ventilation.

This thing is off gassing some sort of solvent. I've stayed in the room and found my eyes started to burn after a few minutes so whatever it is, it is an irritant. If the windows and doors are open the smell almost goes away. But, consider putting your newborn in this thing??

Now it was rated as safe by the USA. I'm in serious doubt about the rating, since it appears to be an irritant to my eyes. I can walk away. What about a babies lungs and eyes?

It is made in China, so who knows what it was made with.
I would like the company to respond to this, but others have called and been told it is normal. Not very likely.

I have no experience with other furniture so can't compare.

1.0 out of 5 stars Toxic smell, October 2, 2013
Jerold Buchman (San Marcos, CA, US) - See all my reviews
Do not buy. This crib has an extreme toxic chemical smell that will not go away. I had to store outside prior to returning. Beware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Product!, January 11, 2012
with this being my first baby i wanted everything in the room to be perfect. This crib was exactly that :) i assembled it in less than 2 hours and it was easy step by step instructions on each piece. The only small issue was the screws werent labeled lol and there were quite a few different sizes that looked similar. But its really beautiful and extremely sturdy. No scratches or missing parts and the color is perfect! The best crib we couldve gotten and a great price! thank you! (p.s it arrived nearly 5 days before expected so it was fast as well as well packaged!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and sturdy, January 28, 2013
I wanted this crib because I live in an apartment and am limited on space. So having the changing table attached to the crib was important.

It came in very well packaged. Instructions were very easy to follow. It took about 3 hours to put together, but we somehow skipped over a page and missed a step with the changing table so we had to undo some parts then redo the work which took up about 30 minutes.

The crib feels very sturdy and well made. Finish is very nice.

There is surprisingly a good amount of storage in the drawers and on the side there are little shelves that hold a good amount as well.

I did not need to buy a dresser because all of my LO's clothes fit inside the drawers and I have clothes for newborn to 9 months! I purchased some plastic bins to use on the shelves to make it easier to store things that are smaller so I don't have to try to reach over other items or pull everything out.

One shelf holds two packs (36 count) of diapers and 2 large packs of wipes with room to spare.

I really love that this crib is transitional, I did not want to have to purchase a toddler bed a couple years then a full sized bed a few years after that.

One thing to note on transitioning to the toddler bed and full sized bed, the rails MUST best purchased separately. They are NOT included with the crib. That's fine though, rails are not that expensive.

The ONLY thing that I do NOT like is that the changing pad is very thin and the area for it is literally like 2 inches too short length wise for any standard changing pad. The dimensions are about 17" wide by 27" long. But that is the size of the cutout for the pad itself, so you could actually put a changing pad ON TOP of this, the area for that is about 18" X 29 inches.

All of the changing pads I have seen are minimum 30" long. I am going to still purchase one however and see if I can squish it in there...

Overall, I would recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Crib caused allergic reaction in family members, May 3, 2014
Bill Riley (Novi, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This crib had significant odor that caused adult sleeping in the nursery to have a bad physical reaction to it. We washed it many times, aired out the room, and still it had a bad smell. We didn't feel safe putting our infant in this crib and have returned it. Others warned of this issue and it was real for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Combo. Recommend the sheet below..., June 17, 2013
This crib is wonderful. It was a bit of a pain to put together, but worth it. The drawers hold much more than I expected. It saves so much room having a little dresser, changing table, and crib all in one spot. The bed is beautiful when put together and is made of sturdy, high quality wood. I love it. The only down side is that the changing table is just a touch smaller than a standard one, making it nearly impossible to fine new changing pads or covers that fit it. Still, for the price, space saving, and beauty of it, that little down side is far from a deal breaker.

One thing I'd highly recommend is the following mattress sheet. We went through 5 different brands of sheets until finally settling on this one. Some of the others were soft for a few washes but then got pilly or rough. This sheet fits the standard crib mattress snugly and stays so soft after washings. Plus it's organic so that's a bonus.

Hope this was helpful. If it was, vote helpful on my review so it can help others too.

Cheers!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice crib...impossible instructions, June 11, 2012
This is my first baby and we wanted something sturdy and pretty. The crib is good quality and feels solid and I love the color. It's quite a big bigger than I thought it would be and takes up a lot of the room. I don't mind that but my boyfriend thinks it's a bit too large. I think the drawers and changing table will be very useful.
I do not believe the reviewer who said it took her four hours to put the crib together on her own with her newborn. There are steps where it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible,to put the crib together without at least two people. It took me and two guys four and a half hours to put it together and that was with a lot of hair pulling and swearing. The instructions are useless...diagrams are too small, parts aren't labled so you have to try to tell what parts to use from looking at tiny pictures, and some steps are not even listed in the directions. There are also a lot of grammatical errors in the instructions that don't help with clarity...for example, nuts are referred to as nunts in some places, etc. If I had been tasked with putting this together myself I would have started crying and set the box on fire. In the end we finally got it together by two in the morning and I do like the crib. Not sure if I will be interested in taking it apart to make a bed though and apparently the bed rails are sold seperately. Nice looking crib...NOT easy to assemble.
***update*** Baby is now 15 months old. I added a star because overall I really like the crib. It IS big but it's comfy and safe Easy to adjust the mattress height. The large size is good when you put the baby in it to play for a brief period. I am lacking any sort of aptitude at putting things together... I'm terrible. But I still maintain that the instructions were cruddy and for those who aren't great at this sort of thing the assembly of this crib could be a catalyst for divorce. :-)

Stork Craft Portofino 4-in-1 Fixed Side Convertible Crib and Changer, Espresso
$349.99 $306.00
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies